Page 133 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2287

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Its an original. McFarlene wrote in the letters column of 231 that 231 is the end of the parody covers and going forward it will be original covers done by Todd himself, I believe.
    Ah, okay. I haven't picked up 231 yet. Interesting that he's apparently keeping the same colorful "old school" style, since it looks nothing like the artwork within the book. The cover art prior to the parodies seemed to better reflect the interior art, so I expected a return to that after the parodies. Still, the parodies were a lot of fun, and I enjoyed them. (Although I was disappointed he didn't parody the #1s of ShadowHawk, WildCATS and Cyberforce like how he did Savage Dragon and Youngblood.)
    Last edited by Michael24; 05-06-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    PULL LIST: Five Ghosts, Ghostbusters, Ghosted, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Mage, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Ah, okay. I haven't picked up 231 yet. Interesting that he's apparently keeping the same colorful "old school" style, since it looks nothing like the artwork within the book. The cover art prior to the parodies seemed to better reflect the interior art, so I expected a return to that after the parodies. Still, the parodies were a lot of fun, and I enjoyed them. (Although I was disappointed he didn't parody the #1s of ShadowHawk, WildCATS and Cyberforce like how he did Savage Dragon and Youngblood.)
    Well I think since we've had parody covers since last year, maybe Todd's plan is to keep that similar style and transition to something like the interior artwork. I definitely wouldn't mind Syzmon returning to do covers, but a slow transition to it would be best especially with Syzmon getting DC work here and there. I personally wish that Todd would give other artists a shot at a Spawn cover like Rossmo, Pitarra, Ketner, Nathan Fox, Tradd Moore, Ben Templesmith (especially given some use of the Hellspawn series concepts now in the main book) and some others.

Are the Spawn New Beginning trades already abandoned? Im only seeing 2 - the last one in released in the Spring of 2012. I had to stop buying singles and was going to trade wait the new direction - seems that aint happening now.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

Hi I'm new to comics and really want to get into Spawn. So I decided that I wanted to read the Spawn comics. I've been following a list in which order to read them.

Curse of the Spawn #20-21
    Spawn Fan Edition #1-3 (Norse Hellspawn)
    Medieval Spawn & Witchblade #1-3
    Operation Knightstrike #1-3
    Battlestone #1
    Youngblood Strikefile #1-3: Chapel
    Youngblood: Genesis #1
    Spawn #1-20
    Spawn & Batman Book
    Violator #1
    Youngblood Strikefile #4
    Spawn #21-22
    Violator #2-3
    Spawn #23
    Youngblood #7
    Team Youngblood #11
    Spawn #24-26
    Youngblood #8, 10
    Spawn #27-28
    Angela #1-3
    Spawn #29-32
    Spawn: Bloodfeud #1-4
    Spawn #33-39
    Spawn & WildCATS #1-4
    Spawn #40-52
    Savage Dragon #30
    Spawn #53-61
    Curse of the Spawn #5-10
    Spawn #62
    Curse of the Spawn #11-14
    Spawn #63-87
    Sam & Twitch #1
    Spawn The Undead #1-9
    Spawn #88-101
    Spawn: Simony Book
    Spawn #102-230+ (on going...)
    Curse of the Spawn #1-4
    Spawn: Blood & Salvation Book

How reliable is that order? Also in that order it goes way before the introduction of Simmons, yet in Fan edition#1 He's mentioned in the beginning? Does that defeat the purpose of "continuity"? Should I just read the original Spawn series, and then read everything else?

I'm a total noob to this stuff. I'm probably wrong hah.

Quote Originally Posted by ines View Post
    Hi I'm new to comics and really want to get into Spawn. So I decided that I wanted to read the Spawn comics. I've been following a list in which order to read them.
    I think following a reading list that packed is just making it way too complicated for yourself. Just stick with the main Spawn series - the Origins trades are your best bet. All of those secondary titles are just spinoff books that add some extra flavor if you like the main course.

Im assuming you got that list from a Spawn fan site or something - its no way necessary to read all the tie in books in the exact chronological reading order - thats a ton of work even coming up with a list like that. Frankly, a ton of those secondary books on your list are total garbage - so there's that too. Keep it simple to start - stick with the main book.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I think following a reading list that packed is just making it way too complicated for yourself. Just stick with the main Spawn series - the Origins trades are your best bet. All of those secondary titles are just spinoff books that add some extra flavor if you like the main course.

Im assuming you got that list from a Spawn fan site or something - its no way necessary to read all the tie in books in the exact chronological reading order - thats a ton of work even coming up with a list like that. Frankly, a ton of those secondary books on your list are total garbage - so there's that too. Keep it simple to start - stick with the main book.
    Ok thanks. It did confuse me a bit. I just don't want to miss anything. Out of the specials,spin-offs etc would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ines View Post
    Ok thanks. It did confuse me a bit. I just don't want to miss anything. Out of the specials,spin-offs etc would you recommend?
    The only Spawn books ive liked are the main title itself and the Sam and Twitch book. After being a fan of the book for a long time in the 90s, now, in hindsight, I would say overall Spawn the comic is C grade, maybe (in spots) B grade material. To its credit, Spawn was a fun read for the most part - and the art always had great atmosphere. Point is, Spawn aint comic book Shakespeare and you certainly don't need to read every single tie in, if any.

I was a pretty big Spawn fan in the mid/late 90s until I broadened my comic horizons and tried some different, more sophisticated stuff. The highly regarded Vertigo titles for instance. I feel like Ive "outgrown" Spawn many, many years ago. The newer Spawn arcs seemed to finally lean in a different direction but as I was saying in an earlier post - it appears they stopped collecting it in trades.
    Last edited by Destro777; 05-15-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Yeah id just stick with the main title for the most part. Id stay away from the crossovers with the extreme books as they really dont add anything to the spawn mythos.

Out of the spinoffs, id recommend the Bloodfeud and Angela minis, Curse of the Spawn, Hellspawn and Sam and Twitch.

no news about the continuation in tpb of the series after New Beginnings?

Quote Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
    no news about the continuation in tpb of the series after New Beginnings?
    Not yet. Maybe theyre just waiting for the origins trades to catch up.
    You could always try messaging Todd on FB.

Well Spawn 232 preview is up courtesy of Todd's Facebook page. Its Complex Messiah Part 4.

"COMPLEX MESSIAH," Part Four
    A Massacre!
    An Awakening!
    And The True Face of Evil!
    Featuring another classic TODD McFARLANE cover!!!

As the world eagerly awaits the gifts of their newest savior, Jim Downing's struggle for control over the darkness within him threatens to jeopardize everything he has worked to build. Violence erupts in the deserts of Mexico as the K7 goes on a feeding frenzy, and for the first time Jim awakens to the realities of the monster that lives within him. Can a man live with so much blood on his hands, or will the weight of the world's sins crush any hope of salvation? While Jim wrestles with his new reality, an old adversary explores the true power behind Jim's"miracles," as THE CURSE makes his deadly return!

Also Featured: The K7-Leetha is a weapon of mass destruction birthed in the pits of Hell, a living creation built for one purpose -- death. But what happens when a tool of unending violence has its own ambitions? A dark future awaits and the path forward begins here.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0657228&type=1

And despite the above solicit, I don't believe this is a parody cover. Spawn 232 is set to come out next week, June 5th.

who is ready for the haunt and spawn team up. Saw the cover. Still keeping my mind open about it.

is that a parody cover?

Quote Originally Posted by perry farrell View Post
    is that a parody cover?
    as stated before. #232 will be the first of cover that isnt a parody cover. I think Tood owns the record for the longest run of parody covers.

Formerly Dragon VileHater NecroDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    Here is a good question, will Spawn ever become really popular again? Spawn was really popular back in the 90s, but has lost that popularity, partly because the meandering story telling that has plagued his book and partly because many people have tried to turn Spawn into the poster boy of the excesses of the 90s. What could be done to try and make Spawn more popular?

That's easy, actually. Get a GOOD WRITER. The art has never been in question, but the huge deal breaker for almost every person who can't get into it or has fallen off is the mediocre storytelling. Especially when there's things out there like Y: The Last Man, Scalped, RASL, Rachel Rising, Locke and Key, Superior Spider-man, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Preacher, The Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, V For Vendetta, Morning Glories, Saga... C'mon, I know Todd can find a great writer available for Spawn somewhere out there. His radar for artists is amazing.
    People don't read comics for slow pacing and exposition, they read to escape reality for a few minutes. Exposition is even widely regarded by many good writers in all mediums as something to avoid as it bogs down the pace. Pacing doesn't need to be slow to keep the atmosphere of the story realistic. Pacing refers to the speed at which the reader gets through the story, not the speed at which time moves in the story. Slow pacing kills interest fast. It's just plain boring. I applaud Todd for wanting to make Spawn more realistic and darker, but that shouldn't mean he sacrifice heart to do so. Spawn has been missing heart for a long time. It's something that many great horror stories contain, alongside the horror. Well-developed, likable, characters with senses of humor get people more invested in them. You'll care more about what happens to the character if you wind up liking them. There just aren't any characters I continued to care about in Spawn past the 100 mark.
    I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. Spawn is still one of my two favorite super-heroes. I still have the Image 10th Anniversary figure standing on my desk next to my monitor as I write this. But, I long ago dropped Spawn for the reasons I just listed. It needs better writing to keep contemporary fans interested. A lot of readers who grew up reading Spawn have matured and now look for a better level of quality in their comics. They've found that elsewhere. I would love for Spawn to make a huge comeback, and I believe it can, with the right decisions on Todd's part.