Page 128 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2285

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I recently got back in to Spawn again after many, many years, starting from Endgame and I am currently up to 205. I am not really a fan of this style of art as I can't make out most if the details.

I do have a question. Does Chapel have anything to do with the history of Al Simmons? I remember reading that it was retconned out due to Todd's fallout with Rob Liefeld and Jessica Priest became Al's killer. Is Chapel completely out or the equation now?
    I believe so. Liefeld left Image and formed his own company at one point so McFarlane couldnt have Chapel be a presence in the book. Not that it really mattered much as its never needed to have been revisited.

Hi guys, got a couple of questions about Spawn trades. I only started getting into comics last year as when I was a kid there were literally no comic shops near me that I knew of and none of my friends knew anything about them. But I always loved what I could get of Spawn, even if it was only the movie and games. I've been reading my way through the Origins re-releases and really enjoying it so far but I've noticed that the modern trades are really lagging behind the individual issues.

I've got New Beginnings volumes 1 and 2 but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any collections released since right?

Is this usual for Spawn? I don't normally buy separate issues but if they aren't going to be collected I don't want to miss out.

I'm assuming that the Origins re-releases aren't going to go right up to the New Beginnings arc. If I collect the Armageddon and Endgame collections do they leave any gaps in the runup to New Beginnings?

Thanks for any help!

TMP's trade release has been sporadical to say the least.
    They originally released 5-6 issue trades and got up to around issue #80 iirc. Then they cancelled this line in favour of bigger 20 issue collections that got up to #116. Also released at this time were the trades that collected David Hines run and Endgame. These trades werent really uniformed though so they cancelled those for the current Origins line.
    I dont think theres been any mention of how far exactly the "Origins" imprint will extend but the New Beginnings V1-2 trades are recent releases and collect the highest numbered issues so far. Presumably there will be more New Beginnings trades, unless they launch a new trade line again...

If you read;

Armageddon Collection
    New Flesh Collection
    Neo Noir
    End Game Collection

That'll get you #150-196 (iirc#165 was left out)

Keep in mind that these trades are all "old" collections and the issues will eventually be recollected in Origins providing TMP keep on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I believe so. Liefeld left Image and formed his own company at one point so McFarlane couldnt have Chapel be a presence in the book. Not that it really mattered much as its never needed to have been revisited.
    Thanks for that. I have been watching the HBO series for the first time and it still had Chapel as Al's killer and this is the way I like to remember it.

Well here we are at Spawn 227! Wynn continues his tale and brings light on Al Simmons connection to The Project, why The Project was ultimately shut down, and more.

Spawn 227 Preview

Spawn 227 looks to be out this coming Wednesday, January 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Well here we are at Spawn 227! Wynn continues his tale and brings light on Al Simmons connection to The Project, why The Project was ultimately shut down, and more.

Spawn 227 Preview

Spawn 227 looks to be out this coming Wednesday, January 30th.
    Based on this cover, can I conclude that Todd has (FINALLY!) dropped that stupid "Big boot\ little boot" thing that he did for far too long?! And that the "big boot" is now actually some kind of protective shin guard? It always looked dumb and I thought "Manga" Spawn was better designed (--after the scrapping of the original "looks too much like Union Jack" costume!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

This latest issue was fantastic. Tons of plot points resolved, the death of a major character, and Jim (Spawn) set off in a new direction.

Jon & Todd are doing a fantastic job tying everything into events that have occurred in Spawn since issue #1, and Szymon's art fits the tone/direction of the book perfectly.

For me, one of the best things is the pace of this book. It's also the thing that seems to be generating the most complaints from readers. Things happen at a realistic pace, there are no major battles every issue, characters have real conversations, and plot points aren't instantly resolved in 20 pages or less. Unfortunately, readers seem to want from Spawn more of the same thing they can get from any number of different outlets, instead of the book actually being different from everything else out there - and that's reflected in the series' drop in sales.

Bottom line, if you're not reading it already, this book is worth taking a look at.

Love the cover for #227, one of my favorites. And speaking of them, does anybody know if #228 is the last of the homage covers? I saw images for #229 and #230, and it looks like those covers are "back to normal." I've really enjoyed all these wonderful homage covers for the 20th anniversary.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Love the cover for #227, one of my favorites. And speaking of them, does anybody know if #228 is the last of the homage covers? I saw images for #229 and #230, and it looks like those covers are "back to normal." I've really enjoyed all these wonderful homage covers for the 20th anniversary.
    Are you sure? I saw a preview for #228 and it was a homage to Action Comics...and #229 was another homage to Hulk...I'll try and find them...

Spawn #229:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YmHZVSrTRS...k-kingsize.jpg

Spawn #228:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7H6ohFVpn2...0/Spawn228.jpg

They could be wrong of course. Sorry if these are incorrect.

I have been reading the TP books of spawn at the same time Reading about the new spawn. Jim Downing. since end game. so i know Todd had to pull something together before that. what was it? I have some issues to help me put together what I think is that Some how the Spawn suit ran in wanda's family? If im right? Someone let me know. its killing me! Also i live on the east cost and the latest TP book came out and some how my comic book store I buy those books from never even got a copy....has anyone run into that issue? Is this an image thing or all companies?

So I decided Spawn is going to be the next series I try! I've ordered the Origins Vol 1 hardcover and it should be turning up over the next few days. I'll report back when I've read it!

Feel free to go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Oversized Hardcover Videos!
    Latest uploads - The Planetary Omnibus, Invisibles Deluxe, Before Watchmen: Nite/Owl Dr Manhattan, Wasteland Apocalyptic Edition

So I'll chime in a bit on Spawn 227. I decided to reread it twice - once as a solo issue and another starting from 221. Solo its actually a pretty decent jumping on point. You'll get an understanding of Al Simmons a bit, a great deal of background on Jim's past, and more. Starting from 221, its a great conclusion to this whole Project arc. Where the payoff really comes from though, is if you've been reading either since Endgame back 4+ years ago or even since issue 1. A number of lingering plot points get resolved here since Endgame (who the lawyer actually worked for and why he killed himself, how Jim ended up at the hospital, who contacted Sykes at the beginning of Endgame to send the Extractor to get Jim, and more). Additionally points from even before then, the reason why Jason kept messing with Al for all those years is resolved though whether Al knew of Jason's deal or not is unknown. And even answers the long overdue question of who ordered Al to be killed and we now know the circumstances that should have been his death, but didn't come to pass. A long while back Cog told Al that, Wynn wasn't the be all and end all of Al taking down his true killer and Cog was right and now we know.

I also assume their was some relationship between Wynn and Bludd given the reference to 201 and the fact that Wynn was talking about setting Jim up mentally to be prepared to know his past. Also we have a timeline as to when Jim slipped into his coma being the same moment Al came back to Earth as Spawn, which does mean though that Jim had an extremely brief stint in Heaven to then be sent down to Hell (to more than likely be part of The Legion) since Malebolgia mentioned in 219 that Jim and Al crossed paths in Hell and knew trouble when he saw it. All in all, a great issue and now sets us up for whats next. Hopefully Richard/Tremor sticks around. I do agree in that the pacing has been very good and while some will say its slow, taking everything as a whole and the subject matter on hand, this could have easily been something where a more action route could have happened, but each character played it smart and wanted something from the other so it makes sense that its more dialog driven. Szymon again does tremendous work here and his Redeemer looked great.

Looking forward to the focus being more on Cog, the Vatican stuff, Hel hopefully coming back to the storyline soon, and make Bludd a threat again. Bludd is someone I hope they spend a bit more time on so we know why he is a threat as its more of the business side, Ramus, that we see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Thanks for that. I have been watching the HBO series for the first time and it still had Chapel as Al's killer and this is the way I like to remember it.
    Yeah I miss the connections these books used to have.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Spawn has been good. The pacing took a hit when McFarlane took back over, but issue #227 is a good read. I definitely recommend checking it out. The next issue is a good spot to jump on unless you can get earlier issues.

And we are already at Spawn 228. With the Project arc and before the next arc begins, we'll be taking a look at where the other characters stand right now which should serve as a good means to put the plot points that have been left behind because of the Malebolgia or Project arcs at the forefront.

Spawn 228 Preview

Now while it looks like its out tomorrow, from the LCS lists I've seen its not listed so its probably gonna be out next week or something, but keep your eyes peeled.