Page 121 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2285

Thread: Spawn

Well the preview of 219 is up and its from CBR!! The conclusion of Spawn vs Freakbolgia.

Spawn 219 Preview

Spawn 219 is out this Wednesday, May 2nd.

Can anybody recommend me a good jump on point ? I was thinking issue 200. Which issue was the current spawn introduced? that might be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Kam View Post
    Can anybody recommend me a good jump on point ? I was thinking issue 200. Which issue was the current spawn introduced? that might be a good place to start.
    I would say 201 is a perfect jumping on point. The current Spawn, Jim Downing, was introduced in issue 185 which began the Endgame arc that lasted till 196. A lot of planning and stuff happens, but to be quite honest you can pick up on everything in 201 which recaps, to a certain degree, somethings that happened during the Endgame arc and post which is 197-200 well enough. Additionally if your new to Spawn you'll get background material on the world and the previous Spawn, Al Simmons, in the issues after 201 (specifically 209 and 211). Their are currently two trade paperbacks out now that collect the beginning of this new team's run called Spawn New Beginnings Vol 1 and Vol 2. Start with those and if you want a bit more background on what happened with Jim before 201 then pick up the Endgame trade paperbacks too though know that issues 197-200 haven't been collected in a trade, but of those I would say issue 199 is the most important and maybe 200 but you can do without that one imo. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    I would say 201 is a perfect jumping on point. The current Spawn, Jim Downing, was introduced in issue 185 which began the Endgame arc that lasted till 196. A lot of planning and stuff happens, but to be quite honest you can pick up on everything in 201 which recaps, to a certain degree, somethings that happened during the Endgame arc and post which is 197-200 well enough. Additionally if your new to Spawn you'll get background material on the world and the previous Spawn, Al Simmons, in the issues after 201 (specifically 209 and 211). Their are currently two trade paperbacks out now that collect the beginning of this new team's run called Spawn New Beginnings Vol 1 and Vol 2. Start with those and if you want a bit more background on what happened with Jim before 201 then pick up the Endgame trade paperbacks too though know that issues 197-200 haven't been collected in a trade, but of those I would say issue 199 is the most important and maybe 200 but you can do without that one imo. Hope that helps.
    Ok thanks a lot.

I have tried so hard to like the Soawn comics but they're just not that good. Kudrianski's art is the only reason I picked up #201 after trying out some earlier issues and his art is fantastic. But, McFarlane needs to stop writing this book NOW. His dialogue and plots are just not that good.

You think so? I think hes doing a lot better than his work on Endgame and am really liking the current direction, both in art and story.

I think they're MUCH better now but they're just not interesting.

I agree with you 100% on the art though. It is fantastic.

So...anyone get 219?

219 - Eye of the Storm Part 1

After a pretty awesome 218, I'm still trying to think about 219. Art-wise its again a fantastic issue with visuals that we haven't seen before from Kudranski which are pretty cool with both how he handles Heaven-powered Jim and the new look of Spawn. However with the content I'm somewhat conflicted I guess. This issue brings back a plot point from Endgame (specifically issue 191 where the angel accused Jim, at the time in Spawn form, of doing something unforgivable to God). What I originally thought of this was that since Jim was a member of the Legion, as issue 200 suggested, it could be said that he aided Al Simmons in the sealing of God towards the end of the Armageddon arc. However this issue decided to take that in a completely different direction that makes me question - are they piling on the mysteries of Jim Downing and is it starting to get overwhelming and the answer to that is yes.

So now Jim was in fact Director Kramer a researcher working for Jason Wynn to develop the new super soldier which from that birthed Freak and Tremor. When he attempted to become his own patient his soul went to Heaven where he attempted to kill God, failed, and was sent to Hell in exchange for 1000 souls. There he made brief contact with the soul of Al Simmons and I suppose from there Jim somehow got in contact with Al possibly through the Legion so that he can be the new Spawn. Though how all of this happened without Jim being technically dead is what really bothers me. The last couple of pages hint at something that I wonder if he'll be after Jim or the symbiote though I guess it would be the symbiote. Their is an error though with the issue they referenced where the symbiote talked to Freakbolgia stating that it was the symbiote that put the evil in Freak and that it was in issue 73 which is false. It was in fact issue 70, issue 73 was the fight between the Heap and Spawn that lead to the introduction of the Greenworld.

At the end all I can think of was waiting and seeing where this goes because I'm unsure of how to feel about this. Hopefully 220 can shed some more light on this.

Yeah there were some things that through me this issue too, not least of all the Freak Issue 70/73 reference.

What i didnt quite grasp was how the costume was able to excorsise Malebolgia from Freak. He put "the evil" there back in #70 which killed Freak and sent him to Hell. Doing that apparently made Al/The Costume/Jim (?) the Freaks master (wha?) so he could pull Malebolgia out. mkay?

I would agree that the stuff on Jims past is beginning to pile up. We still dont know just how he became a member of the Legion or how he was put in a coma (unless that was a result of the experiment he performed on himself), let alone how he was able to become a Hellspawn/Legion member despite still being alive.

Nevertheless im still really enjoying the book and am glad things are finally beginning to kick off.

SPOILER NOTICE (NOT PERTAINING TO STORY THOUGH)

spoilers:
    I can't believe nobody mentioned that Will Carlton IS Todd McFarlane! He's been writing this all along. He talks about it in the letters page.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-16-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Yeah there were some things that through me this issue too, not least of all the Freak Issue 70/73 reference.

What i didnt quite grasp was how the costume was able to excorsise Malebolgia from Freak. He put "the evil" there back in #70 which killed Freak and sent him to Hell. Doing that apparently made Al/The Costume/Jim (?) the Freaks master (wha?) so he could pull Malebolgia out. mkay?

I would agree that the stuff on Jims past is beginning to pile up. We still dont know just how he became a member of the Legion or how he was put in a coma (unless that was a result of the experiment he performed on himself), let alone how he was able to become a Hellspawn/Legion member despite still being alive.

Nevertheless im still really enjoying the book and am glad things are finally beginning to kick off.
    Yeah thats the other thing that threw me for a loop. How can the symbiote, and by extension Al and Jim, be the master of Freak if Malebolgia was still alive during that time? Spawn didn't start doing what he felt like doing, thus angering both Heaven and Hell, until issue 87 post the return of Billy Kincaid. How can they say that when they've been constantly referencing issue 100 as the death of Malebolgia so even new readers know that he was still alive before that. I understand taking out the evil in Freak that the symbiote/Al already put there thus it could be taken that their wouldn't be enough evil for Malebolgia to remain in Freak, but wouldn't that just make Malebolgia like Hel now? An evil spirit that needs a vessel to live in? But how could that be if Malebolgia is at 6/7ths of his full power so shouldn't their be no way of taking him out of Freak? Its confusing to say the least lol.

The Legion thing still boggles my mind. From what we know Jim put himself in a coma becoming his own patient for 5 years. Way before this, he was working with Wynn on the super soldier creating Freak, Tremor, and up until Patient 46 (somehow Overtkill too, but I don't see the connection). I guess it could be taken that he "died", but wouldn't that have happened way before Al died? Since Jim had his episode in Heaven and then sent to Hell and briefly saw Al then how could Jim be a Legion member if the criteria was that the people died on or around the time Al died? I have to imagine Jim "died" way before that, but then how could that be if Al turned into Jim back in issue 3? This is so damn confusing lol, wheres Man of Miracles when we need him/her/it lol.

I'm still enjoying things especially on the art front, but I just think they introduced something that requires a really good explanation and not a half-assed one and hopefully 220 can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by spectre906 View Post
    SPOILER NOTICE (NOT PERTAINING TO STORY THOUGH)

spoilers:
    I can't believe nobody mentioned that Will Carlton IS Todd McFarlane! He's been writing this all along. He talks about it in the letters page.
    end of spoilers
    Thats was revealed a few issues ago. People talked about it then :)

Quote Originally Posted by JemJet View Post
    I have tried so hard to like the Soawn comics but they're just not that good. Kudrianski's art is the only reason I picked up #201 after trying out some earlier issues and his art is fantastic. But, McFarlane needs to stop writing this book NOW. His dialogue and plots are just not that good.
    You should read his self titled Spider-Man comic in the early 1990's when he wrote the first 15 issues, excluding the issue #15. I only bought the issues for the artwork. But his early stories were not that great. But, it gave him the experience that he needed to start Spawn down the road. Of all the villains that was presented, I wondered why he never used Mystique as his first, as well as to have Silver Sable in a team-up adventure together? Raven could have posed as The Lizard until she was able to capture them both and reveal herself later in the climax of the story.

Hi: I'm new to the forum, I've been reading this thread for a while now. I was a fan of comics back in the 90s and used to read all sorts of titles. I returned a few months ago and I've been catching up with all the new "classic" stuff like Y: The Last Man and Transmetropolitan. I used to love Spawn and I have an incomplete run from issues 1 to about 25 that I'm planning to complete.
    What I wanted to ask you guys that have been reading if for so long, is: Up to what issue is it worth buying? Which are good stopping and returning points, say completing from 1 to 26 something like that and then from 180 to 200, just to put a random example. I'm definitly not buying 200+ issues.
    I appreciate the help, thank you.