Page 1 of 153 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

www.imageaddiction.net michaeljsmith's Avatar

Default SPAWN Discussion Thread

I know many of you think that Spawn is not cool and it is a very 1990's but this title is better than ever. David Hine is a superstar writer who gets the character and Brian Haberlin has a distinct style that lends itself to the darker side of this title.

I know that there are a few of you out there that know what I am talking about and I thought it might be time to throw out a "post it all" thread here. Feel free to tell me I am crazy or jump in and tell the world about this title. Below is the information for this month's issue. Looking forward to it after the recent Gunslinger Spawn arc.

TITLE The Monster in the Bubble, Part I
    STORY David Hine LETTERS Tom Orzechowski COVER Greg Capullo COLORS Andy Troy INKS Brian Haberlin PENCILS Brian Haberlin

People are dying and witnesses swear the killer is a ghost. Police profiler Marc Simmons thinks he knows better, but his suspect has the perfect alibi. Can Spawn solve the riddle of 'The Monster in the Bubble?'

Last edited by michaeljsmith; 10-21-2009 at 07:15 AM.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Awesome-sauce.

We definitely need a Spawn thread here, the book has been all sorts of cool. David Hine kicks all sorts of much needed ass for this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Awesome-sauce.

We definitely need a Spawn thread here, the book has been all sorts of cool. David Hine kicks all sorts of much needed ass for this book.
    ahhh someone who is drinking the kool-aid and has seen the light.... not that I am referring to "the light" from the Armageddon story arc.

David Hine is taking this book to new heights and has a vision and way of telling stories that makes you want more....

Buy Savage Dragon!

I've just read SPAWN from 150-173 in near enough one sitting, and it was entertaining as hell. The Armageddon storyline was great fun and I love the urban horror stuff currently going on. It's nice seeing Mammon developing his plans further and I like that he's been involved in Al's life long before he was even born. It makes him feel like a more legitimate threat.

I'm slightly concerned by the whole "End of Spawn" solicitations, but Todd wants his character to live on after he's gone, so I suppose I shouldn't worry.
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Higginbotham, BotF View Post
    I'm slightly concerned by the whole "End of Spawn" solicitations, but Todd wants his character to live on after he's gone, so I suppose I shouldn't worry.
    I was a little concerned for about 30 second and then you see a quote like below...

Brian Haberlin (TMP Editor in Chief)
    Would I let Spawn be cancelled!?! People would hunt me down!
    ...and you get a little reassurance that Spawn is going to be around a while. I jsut hope this is not some way of saying "Spawn" will be around but Al Simmons might not be Spawn much longer. Ghost Rider tried that in the 1990's and Johhny Blaze was more of a mentor and it was terrible.

Oh how I miss Spawn :o
    I read Spawn from 1-91 then left comics all together.

Is Spawn a hero now, or what the hell is doing really? 91 or so issues of pretty much crying over wanda and wandering in the alley got old quick. I pretty much stuck around for Capullos (sp) art, and because Spawn himself was such a badass.

Anyone care to tell me what exactly this book is about now? Is there a clear direction? Suggestions on a good starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post

Is Spawn a hero now, or what the hell is doing really? 91 or so issues of pretty much crying over wanda and wandering in the alley got old quick. I pretty much stuck around for Capullos (sp) art, and because Spawn himself was such a badass.

Anyone care to tell me what exactly this book is about now? Is there a clear direction? Suggestions on a good starting point?
    Yes there is a clear direction and really for a starting off point time could not be better.

Let's see if I can get you caught up:

Issue # 100 Spawn and Angela went to Hell to face off against Malebolgia Spawn's master. Malebolgia kills Angela and in a fit of rage Spawn kills Malebolgia and hence becomes the ruler of Hell. He is not interested in the job so he goes back to Earth.

Over the course of the next few years Spawn:
    *Fights vampires that are decendents of Jesus
    *Has Cogliostro turn on him only to find out he is really Cain (i.e. Cain and Able)
    *Gives up his symbiote in an effort to get Wanda back
    *Loses him memory
    *Has his powers stolen by a hot witch that he hooks up with and then gets it back from her.
    *His new true nemesis during this whole process is Mammon who wanted to be the ruler of Hell and is one of the Forgotten angels and is more powerful than anything Spawn has ever encountered

During all of this (and much more) Wanda and Terry have twins, a boy Jake and a girl Katie. Turns out that Jake is really God and Katie is really Satan. The kids decide to start Armageddon and unleash all of the furry of Hell and Heaven in battle. This lasts for 12 issues (150 to 162 I think) In the end Spawn goes through a series of test by a being called The Mother who is essentially one step higher than God and Satan. Spawn passes and decided he wants to put the world back together clsoing off the gates to Heaven and the gates to Hell and he is going to Wanda. He arrives at Wanda's door only to realize that before he died he had beaten her and caused a miscarriage. He really is a monster. In a sense of shame he heads off to sulk.

So now there is a new world, Heaven and Hell are supposed to be closed off but somehow bad things keeps happening. Spawn starts to find out that he was chosen before his birth for his role in Hell and his mom was actually a Satan worshipper.

That sort of brings you pretty current and your question of good starting points:

Issue #166 is the official kick off the the new world so that is only 10 issues back and it is collected in trade. If you want to go back one more step I would encourage picking up the Armageddon collection in trade. It is an intense end of the world look at things.

The next issue metioned at the start of the thread starts a new story arc and you really won't be out of things. Hine is a master of tying it all together for those in the know (Mammon sitting in Al's dads chair as a kid went back 50 issues in a recent issue) but he does not make you know the history.

I cannot recommend this book ENOUGH. I am one of the crazy faithful that have been there since Issue #1 but very few people that pick up the current stuff can put it back down.
    Last edited by michaeljsmith; 03-06-2008 at 11:51 AM.

You mean you can't recommend this book enough! ;)

I know I can't. :D

You mean you can't recommend this book enough! ;)

I know I can't. :D
    Noted and changed - you are correct.... ENOUGH

almost didn't recongnize you Two-Face

Quote Originally Posted by BrikHed21 View Post
    Noted and changed - you are correct.... ENOUGH

almost didn't recongnize you Two-Face
    I've no idea what you're talking about. :o :p ;)

Transformers Animated fan

I've no idea what you're talking about. :o :p ;)
    Could it be?...... Hmmm. :D

Transformers Animated fan

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post

Its hit its stride. David Hine is doing a great as Spawns writer, and the plot is already moving forward.

Actually Armageddon just ended and Spawn has a new girlfriend. Thats a big change isn't it. :D But the Spawn comic is far better now than before. :D

Quote Originally Posted by flashdisk View Post
    Could it be?...... Hmmm. :D
    Darn alias names - I am just not smart enough for that I have to be the same person on every board.... or I would just forget. Call it me "branding" myself.

Default January Sales Numbers

The sales numbers are in for January 2008 and I was personally a little shocked to see that Issue #174 (Part 1 of Gunslinger Spawn) actually took a slight dip as compared to the prior month's issue. I am sure many of you are surprised to hear the book is still around so knowing that sales dipped a little would be no surprise to you - but I will continue to scream from the mountain-top that this book is better than 90% of the titles that out sold it the prior month.

January 2008 Sales Estimates
    Issue: 174 (Gunslinger Spawn Part 1 of 2)
    Sales: 22,650 (down 2.0% from 23,121 prior month)

For those of you that missed the issue (and judging from the numbers that is quite a few of you, here is a brief overview of the events. It is never too late and pickup one of the best written issues with the most incredible painted art you will find in a book.

As Spawn continues to explore the past, he finds that Mammon's influence on the Simmons' family goes back further than he has imagined. Al Simmons' great-great-grandfather was a Buffalo Soldier, but what happened when this hero of the Old West crossed paths with an emissary from Hell? Two words: Gunslinger Spawn!

...keeping the faith and looking forward to Issue #176 which should be out later this month.

To wet the appetite of all of the faithful here are a few preview pages for the upcoming issue #176....