Default REFLECTIONS #234: Marc Guggenheim, Part I

Marc Guggenheim stops by REFLECTIONS in the first of a two-part interview to talk about his first arc on “Amazing Spider-Man,” killing off a Flash and his thoughts on Mark Waid’s run on the re-launched book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13145

Great interview. I enjoyed Marc's arc of ASM the most out of the two that've shipped to date.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

I think Dan had the overall better story but Marc's Spidey was surprisingly funnier, which is kind of shocking to me.

You just don't outquip Dan Slott like that, it's a sin.

I enjoyed Guggenheim's arc more too,although Slott's was very good.

I've loved all of Guggenheim's work at Marvel, so I can't wait for Young X-men.

Great interview.

I loved his Jackpot and Dexter Bennett.
    "I'm deeply hurt, NOT."
    Blade X
    Wrote the Book on Cool

I was impressed by the consistency of tone between Slott and Guggenheim's runs. That, to me, is the best aspect of the new schedule/format. Reading the three books before OMD, good as some of them were, they often felt like they were written about three different Peter Parkers.

A Boy Called Monk@ www.aboycalledmonk.smackjeeves.com/
    Daily Comic Strip

BANNED

Nice to hear he's following progress for word on Bart's potential to return.

So they're still publishing Spider-Man, huh? That's nice.

I browsed through the article down to this comment: "Joe Quesada told us what was going to happen to Spider-Man. I remember thinking 'Wow. The fans are just gonna love this.'" Funny guy.

Poke me with a stick when they correct the Q-marriage issue so I'll know when to pick up the series again...

BANNED

At least he admitted being a fan that...kill me for this..."swung both ways" on the single and marraige side

Slams at folks on either side really don't help anything.

Daily Comic Strip

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    I should have done that ages ago. Man I feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Linton View Post
    Slams at folks on either side really don't help anything.
    Nobody on the pro-marrage side of things goes out to do it out of spite, we do it more as a reactionary measure when people are acting like one-sided drones with no social or intelligent grace.
    Last edited by ZT4; 02-27-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZT4 View Post
    Nobody on the pro-marrage side of things goes out to do it out of spite, we do it more as a reactionary measure when people are acting like one-sided drones with no social or intelligent grace.
    Hm. I hadn't thought of it that way. Well, now I've seen the light. Personal attacks are a much better way to make your point than a civil discussion. Thanks!

Daily Comic Strip

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    I think Dan had the overall better story but Marc's Spidey was surprisingly funnier, which is kind of shocking to me.

You just don't outquip Dan Slott like that, it's a sin.
    Well, if you consider writing better dialogue a sin, ok...

I'm glad Marc Guggenheim finds Spider-Man more refreshing to write as an unmarried character.

Of course, that's a writer's perspective.

From a reader's perspective, my own at least, because I know Marvel's policy on Peter's need to remain single, any romantic entanglements he gets into, won't go anywhere so I don't have to bother reading.

Really, it's AMAZING (no pun intended) how Marvel and their braintrust views the whole Peter Parker situation.

a) He's a lovable loser: If he's a lovable loser, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date losers.

b) He's perpetually broke: If he's perpetually broke, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date guys who can't afford to go out on a date. Of course...

c) He's still living with his 400 year old aunt so that saves money on rent: If he's living with his aged Aunt, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls aren't attracted to 20 or 30 something-year-old guys who live with their mommies (or, old Aunt's who act like a surrogate Mommy).
    Of course...

d) Marvel wants Peter to be a 'fun and single loser': so all of that goes out the window if he ever finds a girl stupid enough to date a broke, loser who lives with his Aunt.

It won't go anywhere anyway!

Marvel editors and writers believe being a loser is a whole lot of fun, I guess they're speaking from experience. Still, I can skip reading all of this and feel no poorer because I've read all about single Peter Parker for the 1st 296 issues of Spider-Man... and the guys who did before, did it a whole lot better than anyone who Marvel tries to hire today, I don't care what TV show they're writing for now.

For me, Marvel Comics were great when it was Stan Lee presents.
    Today, Marvel Comics is all Joe Quesada presents: and no matter how many titles are dressed under the Marvel logo, they're just not Marvel characters anymore.
    Last edited by brett tolino; 02-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brett tolino View Post
    I'm glad Marc Guggenheim finds Spider-Man more refreshing to write as an unmarried character.

Of course, that's a writer's perspective.

From a reader's perspective, my own at least, because I know Marvel's policy on Peter's need to remain single, any romantic entanglements he gets into, won't go anywhere so I don't have to bother reading.

Really, it's AMAZING (no pun intended) how Marvel and their braintrust views the whole Peter Parker situation.

a) He's a lovable loser: If he's a lovable loser, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date losers.

b) He's perpetually broke: If he's perpetually broke, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date guys who can't afford to go out on a date. Of course...

c) He's still living with his 400 year old aunt so that saves money on rent: If he's living with his aged Aunt, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls aren't attracted to 20 or 30 something-year-old guys who live with their mommies (or, old Aunt's who act like a surrogate Mommy).
    Of course...

d) Marvel wants Peter to be a 'fun and single loser': so all of that goes out the window if he ever finds a girl stupid enough to date a broke, loser who lives with his Aunt.

It won't go anywhere anyway!

Marvel editors and writers believe being a loser is a whole lot of fun, I guess they're speaking from experience. Still, I can skip reading all of this and feel no poorer because I've read all about single Peter Parker for the 1st 296 issues of Spider-Man... and the guys who did before, did it a whole lot better than anyone who Marvel tries to hire today, I don't care what TV show they're writing for now.

For me, Marvel Comics were great when it was Stan Lee presents.
    Today, Marvel Comics is all Joe Quesada presents: and no matter how many titles are dressed under the Marvel logo, they're just not Marvel characters anymore.
    This is the "status-quo" marvel want to force on the readers, because they think this is the kind of spider-man you want to read. Alot do....alot don't