Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    news editor andy khouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    1,559

    Default REFLECTIONS #234: Marc Guggenheim, Part I

    Marc Guggenheim stops by REFLECTIONS in the first of a two-part interview to talk about his first arc on “Amazing Spider-Man,” killing off a Flash and his thoughts on Mark Waid’s run on the re-launched book.

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13145

  2. #2
    gone now Cayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    24,595

    Default

    Great interview. I enjoyed Marc's arc of ASM the most out of the two that've shipped to date.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

    Story-True is true forever.

    -Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

  3. #3
    Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    I think Dan had the overall better story but Marc's Spidey was surprisingly funnier, which is kind of shocking to me.

    You just don't outquip Dan Slott like that, it's a sin.

  4. #4
    Unicorn Vomit Pach!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    I enjoyed Guggenheim's arc more too,although Slott's was very good.

    I've loved all of Guggenheim's work at Marvel, so I can't wait for Young X-men.

    Great interview.

    I loved his Jackpot and Dexter Bennett.
    "I'm deeply hurt, NOT."
    Blade X
    Wrote the Book on Cool

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Matt Linton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,756

    Default

    I was impressed by the consistency of tone between Slott and Guggenheim's runs. That, to me, is the best aspect of the new schedule/format. Reading the three books before OMD, good as some of them were, they often felt like they were written about three different Peter Parkers.


    A Boy Called Monk@ www.aboycalledmonk.smackjeeves.com/
    Daily Comic Strip

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Nice to hear he's following progress for word on Bart's potential to return.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default

    So they're still publishing Spider-Man, huh? That's nice.

    I browsed through the article down to this comment: "Joe Quesada told us what was going to happen to Spider-Man. I remember thinking 'Wow. The fans are just gonna love this.'" Funny guy.

    Poke me with a stick when they correct the Q-marriage issue so I'll know when to pick up the series again...

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    At least he admitted being a fan that...kill me for this..."swung both ways" on the single and marraige side

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Matt Linton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,756

    Default

    Slams at folks on either side really don't help anything.


    A Boy Called Monk@ www.aboycalledmonk.smackjeeves.com/
    Daily Comic Strip

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    I should have done that ages ago. Man I feel good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Linton View Post
    Slams at folks on either side really don't help anything.
    Nobody on the pro-marrage side of things goes out to do it out of spite, we do it more as a reactionary measure when people are acting like one-sided drones with no social or intelligent grace.
    Last edited by ZT4; 02-27-2008 at 06:33 AM.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Matt Linton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZT4 View Post
    Nobody on the pro-marrage side of things goes out to do it out of spite, we do it more as a reactionary measure when people are acting like one-sided drones with no social or intelligent grace.
    Hm. I hadn't thought of it that way. Well, now I've seen the light. Personal attacks are a much better way to make your point than a civil discussion. Thanks!


    A Boy Called Monk@ www.aboycalledmonk.smackjeeves.com/
    Daily Comic Strip

  12. #12
    Why I read comics! Rahul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    I think Dan had the overall better story but Marc's Spidey was surprisingly funnier, which is kind of shocking to me.

    You just don't outquip Dan Slott like that, it's a sin.
    Well, if you consider writing better dialogue a sin, ok...

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    155

    Default

    I'm glad Marc Guggenheim finds Spider-Man more refreshing to write as an unmarried character.

    Of course, that's a writer's perspective.

    From a reader's perspective, my own at least, because I know Marvel's policy on Peter's need to remain single, any romantic entanglements he gets into, won't go anywhere so I don't have to bother reading.

    Really, it's AMAZING (no pun intended) how Marvel and their braintrust views the whole Peter Parker situation.

    a) He's a lovable loser: If he's a lovable loser, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date losers.

    b) He's perpetually broke: If he's perpetually broke, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date guys who can't afford to go out on a date. Of course...

    c) He's still living with his 400 year old aunt so that saves money on rent: If he's living with his aged Aunt, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls aren't attracted to 20 or 30 something-year-old guys who live with their mommies (or, old Aunt's who act like a surrogate Mommy).
    Of course...

    d) Marvel wants Peter to be a 'fun and single loser': so all of that goes out the window if he ever finds a girl stupid enough to date a broke, loser who lives with his Aunt.

    It won't go anywhere anyway!

    Marvel editors and writers believe being a loser is a whole lot of fun, I guess they're speaking from experience. Still, I can skip reading all of this and feel no poorer because I've read all about single Peter Parker for the 1st 296 issues of Spider-Man... and the guys who did before, did it a whole lot better than anyone who Marvel tries to hire today, I don't care what TV show they're writing for now.

    For me, Marvel Comics were great when it was Stan Lee presents.
    Today, Marvel Comics is all Joe Quesada presents: and no matter how many titles are dressed under the Marvel logo, they're just not Marvel characters anymore.
    Last edited by brett tolino; 02-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett tolino View Post
    I'm glad Marc Guggenheim finds Spider-Man more refreshing to write as an unmarried character.

    Of course, that's a writer's perspective.

    From a reader's perspective, my own at least, because I know Marvel's policy on Peter's need to remain single, any romantic entanglements he gets into, won't go anywhere so I don't have to bother reading.

    Really, it's AMAZING (no pun intended) how Marvel and their braintrust views the whole Peter Parker situation.

    a) He's a lovable loser: If he's a lovable loser, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date losers.

    b) He's perpetually broke: If he's perpetually broke, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls don't date guys who can't afford to go out on a date. Of course...

    c) He's still living with his 400 year old aunt so that saves money on rent: If he's living with his aged Aunt, chances are, he won't be dating much because most girls aren't attracted to 20 or 30 something-year-old guys who live with their mommies (or, old Aunt's who act like a surrogate Mommy).
    Of course...

    d) Marvel wants Peter to be a 'fun and single loser': so all of that goes out the window if he ever finds a girl stupid enough to date a broke, loser who lives with his Aunt.

    It won't go anywhere anyway!

    Marvel editors and writers believe being a loser is a whole lot of fun, I guess they're speaking from experience. Still, I can skip reading all of this and feel no poorer because I've read all about single Peter Parker for the 1st 296 issues of Spider-Man... and the guys who did before, did it a whole lot better than anyone who Marvel tries to hire today, I don't care what TV show they're writing for now.

    For me, Marvel Comics were great when it was Stan Lee presents.
    Today, Marvel Comics is all Joe Quesada presents: and no matter how many titles are dressed under the Marvel logo, they're just not Marvel characters anymore.
    This is the "status-quo" marvel want to force on the readers, because they think this is the kind of spider-man you want to read. Alot do....alot don't

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •