Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action "Akira"

Leonardo DiCaprio will produce "Akira," a live-action adaptation of the classic manga and anime by Katsuhiro Otomo. Screenwriter and former PC Gamer Editor-in-Chief Gary Whitta will provide the script.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13059

BANNED

ARGH!!! Lame. Just lame.

Please, stop the remake train; I'd like to get off now.

Exclamation

There is no way this can be good at all. Akira might be my favorite fictional work ever, and there are so many reasons why this project shouldn't happen. The animation is the best adaptation of the original story and if that can't convince an audience of its great achievements there is no way a live-action will.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I figured it wont be long until we see an americanized version of this.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by FrBoukas View Post
    There is no way this can be good at all. Akira might be my favorite fictional work ever, and there are so many reasons why this project shouldn't happen. The animation is the best adaptation of the original story and if that can't convince an audience of its great achievements there is no way a live-action will.
    See, I'm thinking the exact opposite. The story in Akira was kind of crap. It's the art, and later, the animation that made it work. Which you lose in live action. But seriously, the story was crap.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    See, I'm thinking the exact opposite. The story in Akira was kind of crap. It's the art, and later, the animation that made it work. Which you lose in live action. But seriously, the story was crap.
    In most ways it kinda was but like you said I admire the visualization and Tetsuo was an intresting character.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I seem to recall reading several years back that Stephen Norrington wanted to direct an Akira movie, but everyone bailed when they figured what the budget would need to be.

I liked Akira well enough, but I don't consider it sacred enough to be unremakable. Hell, the plot is basically just a Star Trek episode with biker gangs thrown in.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by andy khouri
    The live-action version of “Akira” has long been in development at Warner Bros., with producers Jon Peters (“Superman Returns”) and Basil Iwanyk (“Firewall”) having been involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington (“Blade”) and Pitof (“Catwoman”). No director has yet been confirmed, nor is it known whether DiCaprio intends to star in “Akira.”
    I liked Akira okay, but I'm really not especially a fan of manga or anime, per se. I also try not to be one of those people who assumes that a movie that hasn't been made yet is going to suck based on some speculative casting or dorectorial announcements. But ...

Sweet jumping Jesus, just reading about the very possibility, even unrealized, of a live action Akira movie directed by the talentless hack who shat out Catwoman scared the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

I liked Akira well enough, but I don't consider it sacred enough to be unremakable. Hell, the plot is basically just a Star Trek episode with biker gangs thrown in.
    I have to agree, except I really don't think there's enough in Akira worth trying to turn live action. The story is pretty damn slim. And hands up, anyone want to tell me how exactly it ends?

I love it for its beauty, but not really for its mind. Just like your mom.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

-Expletive Deleted

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I liked Akira okay, but I'm really not especially a fan of manga or anime, per se. I also try not to be one of those people who assumes that a movie that hasn't been made yet is going to suck based on some speculative casting or dorectorial announcements. But ...

Sweet jumping Jesus, just reading about the very possibility, even unrealized, of a live action Akira movie directed by the talentless hack who shat out Catwoman scared the crap out of me.
    Umm... I don't think you can hold Catwoman against him. It didn't work on so many levels that I don't think there was anything he could do but turn down a paycheck and risk screwing up a relationship with movie studios. Nobody sets out to make Catwoman.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattx110 View Post
    Umm... I don't think you can hold Catwoman against him.
    Watch me.

Breaking it down, I don't see anything wrong with Catwoman conceptually or structurally that would have inevitably resulted in a bad movie. The same basic story and cast, in the hands of a competent director, could have turned out okay. The problem was that it was directed by a music video director who clearly had no idea how to structure a narrative and, at the same time, lacked the level of visual dexterity and imagination that could have resulted in the style being compelling enough to overcome the utter lack of substance (the kind of trick that Michael Bay has made a career of pulling off). He's far and away the most responsible for the movie's utter creative failure, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    I have to agree, except I really don't think there's enough in Akira worth trying to turn live action. The story is pretty damn slim. And hands up, anyone want to tell me how exactly it ends?
    I dunno, I think there's enough there for at least a pretty good sci-fi blockbuster. There's a dystopian future wracked with civl unrest, a shadowy goverment conspiracy, shootouts, bike chases, and battles with super psychics. Wrap it all up with a love story, and a cautionary tale of how power corrupts. Nothing terrible groundbreaking, but none of the individual elments of The Matrix were all that fresh either. But I don't know if I'd trust the Catwoman guy with it, as it has to be a big budget film.

Actually, I was shocked to see that it's as a manga (which I've not read), it spans multiple volumes. It just didn't seem like a story that needs all that much space to tell.

I'm not real clear about the ending myself. Akira pulled Testuo into a new universe? It was Akira creating a new universe that caused the explosion that devestated Tokyo in the backstory?
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Get ready for more random bitching. Joseph Gordon Levitt is Tetsuo.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35680

And according to the article, Leo'll probably be Kaneda.

-Expletive Deleted