Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nightwing #141: A Shocking Amount Of Logical Writing (Spoilers)

Nothing really happens in Nightwing #141 in terms of action, but if you're looking for characters who act in character and with intelligence this is your baby.

First off we get an appearance with Superman. Why? Because while visiting the graves of heroes in Metropolis he noticed one had been robbed so he decided to talk with Nightwing who was dealing with a similar case. My head is reeling already. Superman would visit superhero graves and professionals would have open lines of communication where they would talk.

And there's more. Nightwing's got a new headquarters and the JSA comes by to help him build it. Why? Because he's in NY and so is the JSA. More logic and professional behavior. Also, he contacts Bruce to buy a few buildings so he can have a logical egress to and from his HQ. No sniping and fighting between him and Bruce whatsoever. This is essentially a "father" pleased with good work by his "son."

But the cherry on top is an appearance by Wally West. Dick Grayson is supposed to be his best friend and Peter Tomasi has realized that and we get a nice little "get reacquainted" scene between the two with a joke about Dick's new career as a curator. It still makes no sense, and Tomasi somewhat acknowledges this while is doing his damnedest to make us believe it fits Dick's character. Oh, and his Phys Ed job? Tomasi hasn't forgotten it either.

Only the shoehorned love interest doesn't work for me, but the only real consistency to Dick Grayson's love life is his serial monogamy.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what Tomasi has done here and this is the first time I've been impressed with Nightwing since Chuck Dixon left. I cannot believe a book of such solid characterization is allowed to exist under Dan DiDio. Then again, he doesn't understand Dick Grayson so he probably doesn't read it. Let's hope that continues.

Being new to this title, I liked the pace of this issue. I felt like I really get to know who Dick Grayson is and what he's about before all the super-hero advertures really start popping off. Nightwing was about his misson/job but it was mixed with a good balance of humor and respect and friendship. I like seeing Dick in homeboy mode and the interaction with Wally was really cool to see. Dick is written compentent and confident. But he seems to put in the time and does his homework/research so nothings giving to him just because of his connections. I'm not feeling Dick and his girl much either. They seem to work in the confinds and settings of the library but lost something outside of that. I don't see any chemistry but it's nice that Dick's getting out and about socially.

The last few pages seemed a little blotchy, the ink or the coloring. I don't know whose responsibility that is or what was really the deal with that. Is it just a rush job or what? I would have assumed someone would have caught that in time and fixed it. The story and art was still strong but I guess I don't really understand how that happens in production. When you're writer and artist are doing a kick ass job, there shouldn't be any weak links. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for Nightwing and this title.

I didn't like the art for this issue, but... I completely agree about the writing.
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

I love the writing, but the art. Since when did Bruce Wayne look like Jimmy Smits.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Great issue. I loved the characterization-- the faces looked a little off, especially Wally's but it was a great read. Finally, someone who gets Nightwing is writing the character.

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WorstThingUS
    Dick's new career as a curator.
    Another new status quo!? *rips hair out*

Dick seriously needs a steady job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Young Avenger View Post
    Another new status quo!? *rips hair out*

Dick seriously needs a steady job.
    Dick Grayson and the word steady don't mix! The guy was born and raised on a circus! Spent his whole life fighting crime on the streets of Gotham, he's half Gypsy I mean if anything Tomasi NAILED it on the head when he had him jumping out of a plane in issues 140! Nightwing always was and always will be the daredevil, swashbuckling, adventure seeking kinda superhero---steady not to much!

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Dick Grayson and the word steady don't mix! The guy was born and raised on a circus! Spent his whole life fighting crime on the streets of Gotham, he's half Gypsy I mean if anything Tomasi NAILED it on the head when he had him jumping out of a plane in issues 140! Nightwing always was and always will be the daredevil, swashbuckling, adventure seeking kinda superhero---steady not to much!
    It's just so frustrating. Each new writer on his book insists on changing his status quo like they refuse to follow up upon what the last writer did. How many times does Dick very need to start over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

Yeah what was with Bruce's buzz cut?

I really, really dug the issue again. 2/2 for Tomasi!

And Rags was beautiful as usual, I'm really looking forward to Zombie KGBeast
    Oh my god, Canon! *masturbates furiously*
    - just another user

Quote Originally Posted by Young Avenger View Post
    It's just so frustrating. Each new writer on his book insists on changing his status quo like they refuse to follow up upon what the last writer did. How many times does Dick very need to start over?
    Believe me I would give everything to have never had Devin on the book and Dido not oversee Infinte Crisis....but ever since they destroyed NW status qou nothing has been cemented, Dick's basically been wandering without a purpose and place to call home. Marv did nothing really to help that, he introduced some supporting players then had them killed off.

Its nice to see Tomasi setting up a cool HQ for NW....although I really hope all these guest appearnces chill out abit before NW book becomes Superfriends lets not forget who the main title is about.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Believe me I would give everything to have never had Devin on the book and Dido not oversee Infinte Crisis....but ever since they destroyed NW status qou nothing has been cemented, Dick's basically been wandering without a purpose and place to call home. Marv did nothing really to help that, he introduced some supporting players then had them killed off.

Its nice to see Tomasi setting up a cool HQ for NW....although I really hope all these guest appearnces chill out abit before NW book becomes Superfriends lets not forget who the main title is about.
    This was the best this book has been since Dixon left! I loved it, everything from the Superman appearance to Wally showing up was awesome! Even the cliff hanger was cool since i've always loved KGBeast. I can't wait to have Hawkman show up sometime to compare curator notes with Dick lol!

Oh yeah, just to note this wasn't really changing status quo as building on it considering he's still going to do the gym thing, still lives in NY and now he has a base of operations to work out of instead of just his apartment
    the preceding announcement was paid for by the new World order
    Got paranormal problems? Contact Boarderline Investigations. (*17) 555 - 2368. Ask for Hannibal

www.imageaddiction.net michaeljsmith's Avatar

I felt the writing was in line with the last issue but that art fell off about 3 or 4 notches - it just was not good. The cop and Superman was very entertaining because let's face it --- that would happen in the real world.

I am intrigued enough to pick up the next issue and keep giving this a try. I am not 100% on board but I am not throwing in the towel either.

Tomasi as writer for NW is refreshingly good...I hope he stays on for an extended time

NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT BACK! COMIC GEEK's Avatar

I thought this issue was pretty damn good. loved seeing dick and wally hanging for a bit.

great issue.