Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default The "One More Day" Interview with Joe Quesada - The Fans

Even with over 25 pages of answers from Marvel EiC Joe Quesada earlier this month, fans still had many unanswered questions concerning "One More Day," and Quesada's back to answer 20 of your questions.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12835

Great stuff.

Joe comes off pretty good here.

BANNED

Interesting to hear there's "no back door"...then he says, right above it, that Mephisto is full of lies and references MJ's whisper like it COULD be a back door.

Fans didnt complain about Norman being alive because his serum gave him a healing factor, they explained that, and in the context of the Goblin formula, it was absolutley grounded and beleivable.

...He says Peter wasnt deaged, yet said in another OMD interview he deliberatly illustrated the two in their mid thirties to signify their age, and that's what Peter and MJ clearly were up until the 1999 reboot and even in JMS's Romita Jr run (he illustrated a signficantly less young Peter and MJ but emulated the classic styles of the characters)

I love how open he is, but there seems to be a bend in the wind with every opinion (which unfortunatley isnt new). Yes, this is the second-guessing and unpredictable nature he brings to Marve with great success (when done properly), but he shouldnt bring it to interviews.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZT4 View Post
    Interesting to hear there's "no back door"...then he says, right above it, that Mephisto is full of lies and references MJ's whisper like it COULD be a back door.
    Well, right. He says that if he wanted to, he could find a dozen back doors in the story. It's just that they weren't intentionally built into the story to provide that "out."
    Expletive Deleted

So many questions and not a single one of them about JMS' letter to Newsarama? Seriously? No. I refuse to believe that. CBR, don't you want to see questions answered that would actually be interesting to the fans? This felt like a re-run, like I'd seen it before and I didn't like it the first time. I hope that you didn't omit the truly tough and quality questions to preserve whatever biased relationship you seem to have with Joe Quesada, but that's exactly what it looks like from where I'm sitting.

BANNED

The "Dead is Dead" rule was to get writers to think...oook, that would explain the high body count lately wouldnt it?:o

JMS's infamous interviews were the "Frozen Peas" of the Quesada tenure, but it was something that Joe's already talked about in the previous OMD interviews, there's no point in furthering the disagreements that the two have put behind them bringing that up

Mr. Quesada has single-handedly made me realize I've outgrown comic books. Sadly, I won't be able to urge the next generation to buy them either now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugaboo-X View Post
    Mr. Quesada has single-handedly made me realize I've outgrown comic books. Sadly, I won't be able to urge the next generation to buy them either now.
    Totally agree with you here. I've got 34 years of reading Spider-man under my belt...no end was in sight, and my son was reading also...and now I have absolutely NO interest in reading these books, and he's going to read the back issues...we're not bothering to continue to give Marvel our money, neither for Spider-man nor for any other book published in this new "666 Universe". I received all three issues of BND...they don't let your subscription lapse immediately, so three issues got out before cancellation...and I've had absolutely no interest in even opening the plastic on the books. None. Zip. Nada. I've heard enough about their content on the forums, and there's absolutely nothing that appeals to me.

They've disenfranchised me and a boatload of other readers, killed any interest I had in the character. I didn't think ANYONE could do that. But Quesada did.

Bring back the married Spider-man with the evolved powers whom I've watched grow and evolve. This new guy is utterly recognizable as the Spider-man of today. Trying to recapture what Spider-man was over 20 years ago makes the character pitiable and pathetic to me, and is, quite frankly, an insult to readers.

The only plus thing I can say is that, in this final interview, Quesada finally dialed back his natural arrogance, probably because there has no doubt been far more fan hatred directed toward him than his "180-degree reversal" BS spin comment implies.

I'm out of the 666 Marvel Universe comic-reading hobby now. They can look me up if they ever reverse this and bring back the married 616 Spidey I cared about. Though, given that in most other interview Quesada has been clear in his disinterest in holding onto the many long-time fans who feel likewise, I suppose that would be like asking for divine enlightenment from a Mephisto-worshipper.

Man, what a load of spin control. My head is still swimming.

With that said, here's essentially what Quesada said (paraphrasing):

- We do everything with a long-term plan in mind. Unless it messes up continuity, in which case it's magic, and we don't have to explain it.
    - It's okay to do something wrong, so long as someone else initiates the possibility. So, kids, the next time someone offers you drugs, it's okay to say yes because the dealer is the one who made the offer! However, seeking out a drug dealer and asking for drugs is wrong.
    - Everything that has happened throughout Spider-Man's history is canon. Unless, of course, someone down the line decided they didn't like it, or we haven't talked about it in a while, in which case it never actually happened. We'll let you determine which is which.
    - Everything happened the same, except differently.
    - The clone saga didn't happen. I swear to God, it didn't happen.
    - Nobody in the Marvel Universe is inquisitive enough to ask why Norman Obsorn is alive, or why they can remember Spider-Man unmasking, but can't remember his identity. Shit happens, we don't need to explain how.
    - BND is movie Spider-Man in the comics.
    - Have a question that I don't have a good answer for? Well, read BND and maybe we'll come up with something between now and forever! And if not, thanks for buying anyway! (Sucker.)
    - Magic can do whatever the hell we want it to.
    - When I said "dead is dead," I meant it. Unless someone decided to bring someone back from the dead, in which case it was for a good reason.
    - All the stories you read still happened. Except for the ones that contradict the new status quo, in which case they didn't happen. I don't care if you have the issue in your hands. It didn't happen.

Oh, and I LOVE the recycled scenario with the random woman getting shot AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Quesada is quite the double-talker, talking a lot without saying much. And I can't recall how many times he closed an answer to a question with "keep reading." :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Shade 20x6; 01-28-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Well, I can honestly say this (and I know it's an unpopular opinion): I think OMD/BND worked, for this simple reason: it pulled me into Amazing Spider-Man. I've been reading Ultimate Spidey for a while, and have read plenty of old Spider-Man stories, but the JMS run was way too difficult to find a jumping-on point, or even a story idea that seemed all that interesting. Thought I'd point that out.

As for this interview, I can't help but like Joey Q. Maybe because I haven't been reading Amazing for 20+ years, but I just don't see how the fans can possibly portray Joey Q as the bad guy from this interview. Time will tell. I mean, can anyone actually read this and think that Quesada is such an awful scumbag that he's lying while promising answers? Come on, give the dude some credit. What if answers are given, and they're incredible? Yeah, anyway...

As for the whole "back door" thing, I don't think the part about Mephisto's lies and MJ's whisper is a backdoor, though I thought it could be at first. Read it again: it seems like whatever MJ whispered will explain the "other" things that happened, i.e. Harry coming back, web shooters, etc.

And that's my piece on the subject.

Honestly, Joe Q came off sounding really sincere and I'm glad he provided some well thought out answers for the tough questions we've all been thinking about. It felt like he took a considerable amount of time to attempt to make the online community "happy" with the new direction taken in Spiderman.

One month ago, I was angry due to the outcome created by OMD. But the way I see it, it's a new year and hopefully Brand New Day will grow on me.

The first two Dan Slott issues were just ok for me. But I was surprised last week how much I enjoyed ASM 548. I thought this comic was great, and if future Spiderman comics continue to be written to this standard... for the most part, I'll be happy. Dan Slott and McNiven have set the standard for Spiderman man. Let's hope this continues, with new writers and artists meeting and hopefully exceeding our expectations.

In case you were wondering, I've always taken the stance that I was willing to give Brand New Day a chance. At this moment, only ASM 548 has made me happy.. Thats only 1 out of 3 issues of ASM. But its a start.
    Last edited by ANewHope; 01-28-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    And I can't recall how many times he closed a question with "keep reading."
    Well, what's he going to do? Spoil future stories just so all of your questions are answered right now?

Going by that logic, Bendis should just tell us right now who is or isn't a Skrull, rather than have us wait for the stories to hit. :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
    Well, what's he going to do? Spoil future stories just so all of your questions are answered right now?

Going by that logic, Bendis should just tell us right now who is or isn't a Skrull, rather than have us wait for the stories to hit. :rolleyes:
    Do you really believe that all of these questions are going to be answered in BND? It's nothing more than a shameless plug, and a way to politely tell people to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    Do you really believe that all of these questions are going to be answered in BND? It's nothing more than a shameless plug, and a way to politely tell people to shut up.

So then what should his answer have been? So his only option is to spoil the story to prove it to you?

No answers given would satisfy that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by the spot View Post
    So then what should his answer have been? So his only option is to spoil the story to prove it to you?

No answers given would satisfy that logic.
    Well, to be honest, we can't believe anything Quesada says anyway, because he's already lied to us and back-tracked on a lot of stuff he's said. He could be a politician.