Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Frank Cho = being silly

Look, I LIKE T&A, I like "Adult" comics, I like seeing naked people on the telly, in the streets, on the internet or even just in my mind if none of the former are available...but C'mon Frank Cho, you're doing covers for Marvel. What are you thinking?

Frank Cho likes to draw attractive women. Many people, myself included, like to look at drawings of attractive women...but still. The guy has issues of Sheena the she-devil reworked because he draws some nipples and butt crack in it. It was a Marvel MAX book, maybe he was pushing his boundaries.

Next his sketch variant cover to Ultimate Spider-Man needs to be retouched to cover Mary Jane's nekkid butt. Alright, I guess he thought no one was going to see it so why not go a little crazy...

HOWEVER, if the guy really turned that image of Wolvie and the Scarlet Witch in for publication the guy's a nut. of COURSE that would never be published, of course it'll have to be reworked. This is the third time here, Cho...that we know about. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes during his Mighty Avenger's run...there were some pretty lengthy delays, was it because he was drawing every character naked and it all had to be reworked?

I like Frank Cho's art, but if the guy wants to draw naked women so much why doesn't he stop working for Comics and go draw naked women for a living...it worked for Dave Cooper.

IF Frank is pulling our legs and that was never meant to be published then that'll teach me to take anything seriously that either A) a Cartoonists says or B) anything written in Lying in the Gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by unkiedev View Post
    Look, I LIKE T&A, I like "Adult" comics, I like seeing naked people on the telly, in the streets, on the internet or even just in my mind if none of the former are available...but C'mon Frank Cho, you're doing covers for Marvel. What are you thinking?

Frank Cho likes to draw attractive women. Many people, myself included, like to look at drawings of attractive women...but still. The guy has issues of Sheena the she-devil reworked because he draws some nipples and butt crack in it. It was a Marvel MAX book, maybe he was pushing his boundaries.

Next his sketch variant cover to Ultimate Spider-Man needs to be retouched to cover Mary Jane's nekkid butt. Alright, I guess he thought no one was going to see it so why not go a little crazy...

HOWEVER, if the guy really turned that image of Wolvie and the Scarlet Witch in for publication the guy's a nut. of COURSE that would never be published, of course it'll have to be reworked. This is the third time here, Cho...that we know about. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes during his Mighty Avenger's run...there were some pretty lengthy delays, was it because he was drawing every character naked and it all had to be reworked?

I like Frank Cho's art, but if the guy wants to draw naked women so much why doesn't he stop working for Comics and go draw naked women for a living...it worked for Dave Cooper.

IF Frank is pulling our legs and that was never meant to be published then that'll teach me to take anything seriously that either A) a Cartoonists says or B) anything written in Lying in the Gutters.
    Did you read the piece? Frank knew exactly what would have to be done for it to be published. He aranged as much with Brandon Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    Did you read the piece? Frank knew exactly what would have to be done for it to be published. He aranged as much with Brandon Peterson.
    Yes, I read the piece. I read yer' dang column top to bottom every monday...no pun intended.

I'll read it again with a pointy-er head....Hmmm. I think I get it: the guy is drawing every woman naked so he can sell his originals for higher prices, then getting friends/interns to clothe the females in his drawings for publication? I guess that makes financial sense, for him. I
    Last edited by unkiedev; 01-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Retcon Punch Victim StrikeForce Albert's Avatar

No, CHO is a pervert and did that picture to get his rocks off

Thanks, Rich. Now I have to clear out my temp folder and burn my computer.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Frank Cho's drawing area must be really gross. I heard he uses diapers so he has more masturbation time.

Elder Member

If he knew the cover didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being run in that state, why put so much work (and from the leevel of detail, it was clearly a lot of work) into a design he knew he couldn't use as is and would require even more additional work to be acceptable to the client?

His deadline troubles seem to make more sense now.

I Love Frank Cho i Love how he draws women. I just showed my wife the pick of wolvie with the widow she liked it just made a joke about the claws. They are gonna cover it up no problem no need to get crazy its sexy i like it. sex is good.

Anything else, sir? FaithfulMonkeyButler's Avatar

It's got people talking about a book that has been pretty much universally panned. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by unkiedev View Post
    I'll read it again with a pointy-er head....Hmmm. I think I get it: the guy is drawing every woman naked so he can sell his originals for higher prices, then getting friends/interns to clothe the females in his drawings for publication? I guess that makes financial sense, for him.
    It may make sense for him for as long as he can get paid twice for the same picture. But will it continue to make sense for his clients to hire him if it takes him twice as long to complete an assignment because he has to draw it multiple times to completion before he gets around to delivering the version they commissioned?

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulMonkeyButler View Post
    It's got people talking about a book that has been pretty much universally panned. Mission accomplished, I'd say.
    Not really. If it was universally panned, then people were already talking about it.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    If he knew the cover didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being run in that state, why put so much work (and from the leevel of detail, it was clearly a lot of work) into a design he knew he couldn't use as is and would require even more additional work to be acceptable to the client?

His deadline troubles seem to make more sense now.
    Why cant he draw for his own amusement? Surel he is allowed to draw something that isn't put into a comic. No one would be complaining if this was a commision. Like many artist he usually sells his sketchbook at conventions. This piece has just made his sketchbook a more sought after commodity.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by HepOne View Post
    Why cant he draw for his own amusement? Surel he is allowed to draw something that isn't put into a comic. No one would be complaining if this was a commision. Like many artist he usually sells his sketchbook at conventions. This piece has just made his sketchbook a more sought after commodity.

Of course he can draw for his own amusement. Or for other assignments. No one said he can't. But he was commissioned by Marvel specifically to draw a cover for that book. Given that he has a rep for not being able to meet deadlines, it seems like a questionable professional decision to use the bulk of that time drawing a detailed, time-consuming image he knew up front the client wouldn't accept, which would then require him to use additional time to make it suitable for the client. Now, if he had enough time to do all of this and still meet all of his deadlines without hassle, that's fine. No problem. But, again, he does have a rep for having trouble with deadlines. So approaching an assignment like this wouldn't seem to do much to alleviate the problem.

if this is just an isolated incident that had no deadline implications, then that's that. but if (as with the case of the Shanna pages) he's got a habit of drawing two versions of stuff in a way that requires extra work to make it client-friendly and negatively impacts the work getting shipped on time, that seems (to me, anyway) like he's shorting his paying clients.
    Last edited by kalorama; 01-28-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Here's the final cover image that I turned in for Ultimates #3.

The naked image of Wolverine and Scarlet Witch embracing was just a prelim.

I drew the swirling cape on a separate sheet of paper, and combined it with the Scarlet Witch-Wolverine art in Photoshop. (Thanks to Brandon Peterson for all his tech help.) I made sure that all the naughty bits were covered.

I just found out that this final cover image is rejected and will not see print. It was deemed too risque. Story of my life.

Now I have to draw another cover to replace this rejected one. Bah-HUMBUG!

(The cape was inked with Micron pens and the Scarlet Witch-Wolverine was done with a ball-point pen.)

Here's the final cover image that I sent to Marvel.