Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova vs Thor

Default Nova vs Thor

Nova's reached a whole new level of power these days, and I'm wondering how he would fare in one on one combat against Thor?

In the Arena, no prep-time.

Nova is at his full power levels, and has the Worldmind.

Thor is at his current levels of power.

Who wins?

Hmm, this one's a toughie.

I'm inclined to say Thor if he can absorb the Nova force like Annihilus did.

what is novas durabilety like?

Well, I'd say his durability limit was shown in Nova#4 when he crashed into the Phalanx's barrier as he was just exiting hyper-space, IIRC, and he couldn't slow down enough to save from a devastating impact which pretty much left his body a charred skeleton.

The Nova Force was passed on briefly until Nova's body could heal, which was over a pretty short ammount of time as the new Kree female Nova only held the NovaForce for two issues before Gamora killed her.

IIRC, she only held a small ammount of the Nova Force actually. Enough for her to carry on the Worldmind and also protect Nova's body as it healed with the rest of the NovaForce.

Anyway, whatever force of impact Nova sustained hitting the barrier at near-light speed was enough the basically "kill" him for a while as the Worldmind and the NovaForce fixed his body.

Which doesn't really show his durability. It shows what can kill him. That sort of impact would also kill any number of other heroes. We have no idea if that is just beyond the 'upper limit' of what he can take.

An example would be needed of the highest sort of damage he took and survived, and how well.

Technically he did survive it.

He was just really, really fucked up to the point it was Worldmind and the Nova Force keeping him alive.

I'd say that's Nova's limit. Not much more you had to do to him to permanently shut him down from that point.

Could Thor dish out that kind of impact?

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash666 View Post
    Technically he did survive it.

He was just really, really fucked up to the point it was Worldmind and the Nova Force keeping him alive.

I'd say that's Nova's limit. Not much more you had to do to him to permanently shut him down from that point.
    How do you know, is the question? How can we say that's his limit? How do we know that something less than that wouldn't put him down as well?

I get hit by a car. I survive. Do we then say that getting hit by a car is what it takes to put me down? No, because a lot of lesser things will also put me down.

Your Ice Cream Man Captain Morgan's Avatar

Did Nova really go down to simply crashing into something at near light speed? That's kind of sucky. Please tell me the barrier had something special about it that made it different than just a wall. Because most top tiers shouldn't go down to simply crashing into an unbreakable wall.

Before I heard that, I would have said Nova wins, based on the fact he seems to be more powerful than a Herald now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Because most top tiers shouldn't go down to simply crashing into an unbreakable wall.
    Wouldn't that be the only possible outcome if the wall was actually unbreakable?

If the wall was say, adamantium, a lightspeed traveling Hulk would end up being a green stain. Probably the same as Thor and a host of others.

Toons For Our Times Chris Heide's Avatar

Current Thor just beat up The Destroyer, but I don't know if that's more symptomatic of JMS Thor being way more powerful or JMS not having any idea how powerful The Destroyer is supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Heide View Post
    Current Thor just beat up The Destroyer, but I don't know if that's more symptomatic of JMS Thor being way more powerful or JMS not having any idea how powerful The Destroyer is supposed to be...
    Considering Thor had otherwise done nothing to demonstrate being way more powerful, it's that last one. We don't consider jobbing to count as a feat.

nova is the most improved marvel character in the last year or so.

I still remember a time, when he was hanging out with spidey in team up in the early 80's

then later with the new warriors.

in the last year, he managed to stand down beings that have before would have been immediately ignored.

however, thors the heavy weight with the plot device hammer.

I give it to thor 7/10 due to experience.
    click here for some characters to use in rumbles

“We need to apply the science of communication to the communication of science.” - Preston Manning

The way Thor is portrayed by JMS these days would have my bet at winning in a fight against Nova.

That and the whole Thor in this time and in this place is no longer holding back...See Thor #3.

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Before I heard that, I would have said Nova wins, based on the fact he seems to be more powerful than a Herald now.
    Can't agree with that. In the Annihilation War, the Heralds were still portrayed as the resistance's big guns, not Nova.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Can't agree with that. In the Annihilation War, the Heralds were still portrayed as the resistance's big guns, not Nova.
    Well, Nova did come off a little better than Quasar in the actual fight with Annihilus--I think, though that smacked of Quasar jobbery--which would put him above the lower-tier Heralds. But then the latter had most of the impressive feats like blocking the Galactus beam. I think Nova may be on par with someone like Red Shift, all told.
    Why SMvsFL is SMvsFLed:

"Nobody...not even a former herald of Galactus...could have survived that explosion! It totalled over a square block of abandoned housing!"