Default Silver Surfer: In thy name #3

The cover...that has to be the worst rendition of the Surfer I have ever scene, good thing the art on the inside is good, and growing on me.
    Favorite artist:Gil Kane, Neal Adams, and Mike Deodato Jr

AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!?!?!?

tEE hEE[tm]

Break yoself FOOL! GalactaSurfer's Avatar

I really hate that cover! The first 2 are hot they should of stayed on track with an artist of the same caliber. Dellotto should of done all the covers or they should of got Adi Granov, who has done one of the best Silver Surfer designs ever.

the story continues to be great but I wanna see SS blast the sh#t out of something already.

My favorite thing about this series is seeing Norrin use his astral abilities.

I've been waiting for this cliffhanger since issue 1. I'm just surprised it came this early; from issue 1, I was thinking, "They're going to screw with him, and they're going to regret it, because he can beckon Galactus."

Break yoself FOOL! GalactaSurfer's Avatar

Only one more ish to go :( I want my Silver Surfer ongoing dammit

This issue was quite good, the writing was a little dense and some of it was hard to follow. The conversation with astral plane monster/Shalla-Bal was just odd and chopped up the story flow.

They aren't trying to be subtle about the Silver Surfer=Jesus comparisons anymore, He was actually crucified in this issue with blurpoon stabs (?)

The problem with this mini series is that JMS did the same waring aliens storyline in issue 3 of SS:Requiem but now Spurrier is taking 4 times as long and not executing as well as he did.
    Last edited by HepOne; 01-09-2008 at 02:53 PM.

I'm not too familiar with Silver Surfer, or what artist draws him the best for that matter, but I do agree that #3 has the worst cover art so far. As for the story, I am enjoying it very much. This is my first exposure to Silver Surfer, too bad it's only a mini. An ongoing would certainly be nice. By the way, is Requiem worth picking up? What do people think of it compared to In Thy Name?

san francisco - the free range twink farm

I keep passing this up when i'm at my local. I may just get all issues at once and read 'em. Or wait for the trade.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've really enjoyed this series. The art is an amazing throwback to crazy 70s coloring. I love it personally. The whole bit with Galactus getting involved in this at the end is going to be a fun spin. I really wish we'd finally get a Surfer ongoing though.

If you're new to SS through this series, Requiem is good but it's not in continuity, it's about the end of the Surfer, and it has gorgeous painted art. It's one of the better things JMS has written. Give it a go.:)
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Well I picked up the first issue and hated it, the art was so bad I could barelly tell what was going on in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Well I picked up the first issue and hated it, the art was so bad I could barelly tell what was going on in it!
    I've still collected 2 and 3 after thoroughly HATING the art in Issue #1, and plan to read them thru when I get #4...

But O My God, the art is horrendous! I'm all for trying something different, but the lines are scratchy and sketchy, coulda used an inker, methinks, and the washed out colors make everything blend indistinctively. It actually HURTS MY EYES to look at it.

I read a reviewer somewhere who said that while it wasn't physically possible, the art on this book made his eyes want to vomit...
    Free downloads and more about me and my books at
    Glow-in-the-Dark Radio

I'm actually thinking of asking the comic store if I can return the comic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    I'm actually thinking of asking the comic store if I can return the comic!
    Here's what bothers me. We're given a series that clearly has inferior art driving readers away in droves. But then Marvel will turn around, especially Joe Q who doesn't like "Cosmic" characters, anyway, and say, "Well, lookie here, Silver Surfer doesn't sell books!"

SO I'll keep collecting the mini, if only to support the character. But shame on Marvel for giving Norrin Radd such a horrible looking book! The only thing looking worse is Ultimates 3... what's happening with Marvel coloring?
    Free downloads and more about me and my books at
    Glow-in-the-Dark Radio

The artist is incredible, he/she just needs to lighten up a bit...

There's so much going on that it's hard to tell what is going on, but it's so chaotic and active that I really don't want to dwell on it and figure it out. If there was a place for my eyes to rest it would really help. It would also make the activity of all those lines stronger because of the contrast between with some relatively empty space.

I am supporting the character so I am buying. And I am agreeing the cover is awful. I could sketch one better than that. Marvel give us an ogoing with a good writter and artist.
    Pull List:
    Incredible Hulk,Hulk,Punisher Max,Ultimate Spider-Man,Amazing Spider-Man,Thor,Captain America,New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men,XForce