Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CBR Year-End Round-Up: The Trends of 2007

In this first of a two-part look at the trends of 2007, the CBR News staff discusses at length the most visible and controversial mainstream comics phenomenon: the Superhero Crossover Event.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12668

As a elder statesman of the comic book genre (no, I ain't tellin' how old I am, but I was buying comic books before a lot of y'all were even an itch in yer daddy's pants), I can safely say I take the mega-crossover THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!! craze with a huge grain of salt. Like so many so-called "events" it's best to go into it with the old Public Enemy warning, "Don't believe the hype."

There's nothing "final" about FINAL CRISIS. If it blows the doors off in sales, there will be an ANOTHER FINAL CRISIS, REALLY FINAL CRISIS and THIS TIME WE REALLY MEAN IT FINAL CRISIS. Comic books companies are really good at giving the fans more of the same until they make it clear they won't buy it anymore.

I prefer the Marvel approach where there are a few scattered oasis where you can sit out the Big Event. I hope the Skrull "Secret Invasion" stays out of some titles for that exact reason.
    Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.

~ Warren Ellis

double post
    Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.

~ Warren Ellis

re: The Letdown

Among the various crossovers this year, the only one that I didn't feel disappointed in was Annihilation. Everything else from even Sinestro Corps ("wait, so as soon as the limiters on the GL rings is taken off, the Sinestro Corps fold?") to Civil War ("why the hell did it take you that long Steve to recognize the dangers in fighting in the street")

As with most people, I agree with the was written.

I am sick of the letdown at the end of these events. CW was a horrible ending- I rooted for anti-reg but the way it ended was just weak. WWH was also the same situation where the ending was indeed week.

Countdown has been tragic on a weekly basis (just starting to pick up now) and makes sure that I will not be buying a 3rd weekly from DC.

Sinestro Corps was excellent. On time, epic, great art and storytelling, and while it sets up something else, it feels like a complete story at the same time. Also, I'll be picked up Green Lantern Corps to go with my Green Lantern, which is one of the results that the publishers look for too- more readers.

Treat us right, and we'll show the love.

I too, am an old-timer and I agree. Don't believe the hype. When fans get tired of the changes, they'll change them back. Countdown has been universally panned, so while I still trust Grant with most things, I don't hold out much hope for Final Crisis being very good.

I miss the days when big crossovers or events took place within the books themselves and not in an outside book just to ramp up sales. Remember the old Project: Pegasus storyline that took place within Marvel 2-In-1? Operation: Galactic Storm? All of that took place within the Avengers line of books.

You can increase sales without killing customer goodwill.

Default Some Thoughts...

My first comic was the seminal X-Men #1 (mags cover hehe) so I grew up with huge cross-book events and usually go for them in a big way....that being said I think my number one complaint (marvel-wise) this year has been deadlines....it seemed WWH got a lot less interesting when it took a couple extra months to finish.....Civil War as well.

as for DC....I just don't care about Mary Marvel or Pied Piper or Jimmy effin Olsen! I dropped Countdown a month ago after buying every issue of Identity, Infinte (including all the prequels) and 52. It just wasn't interesting.

I guess First Born was a bit too svelte to even be mentioned in the mix as regards 2007 crossovers?

CBR Year-End Round-Up: The Trends of 2007 Part II

The CBR staff conclude its analysis of the trends of '07 with a look at the influx of film & tv writers and popular musicians into mainstream comics, as well as zombies, late books, anthologies and omnibuses.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12672

I'm a newbie. Be gentle.

Just wanted to correct something in Part II. Belle and Sebastian didn't have anything to do with "Put the Book Back on the Shelf," although the stories in it were (loosely) based on their songs. Also, it came out in early 2006, not 2007. Nice article overall, guys!

Corey

Question Evaluation Crossover Events in 2007 ?

Re: George Tramountanas

My first experience with crossovers begins with Jim Shooter and the "Secret Wars" of the 80's. But I suppose if you want to get technical, you could say that crossovers have been existence since the 60's with books like Daredevil #38 and Fantastic Four #73. Although I think that example doesn't carry the same intensity (in story line or advertisement-hype) as the current events of 2007.

That said, I absolutely "loved" Annihilation (in 2006) and bought every book: main story arc and all crossovers and all follow ups. By contrast, I moderately "like" Annihilation Conquest 2007. I am only interested in the Wraith mini-series and the main story arc. I am really glad Warlock is back in Conquest. But some of the other characters, I could do without.

I personally believe that Marvel & DC are committed to one thing: making money! Telling a good story is secondary! In reality, making money and good stories are not necessarily synonymous. Ideally they should be, but they aren't. Some good stories will never be read by the public; but they were a joy to write and a joy to read by a small group of friends. This is not to say that good stories aren't being written by the "Big 2". They are. But not all are good!

Re: Dave Richards

I have no desire to read non-superhero books, so I probably won't be reading anything other than Marvel. I don't read DC, except the current Starlin run "Death of the New Gods"! And I don't plan on getting burned out on super-heroes either!

Re: Emmett Furey

I didn't like the ending to Civil War, but I did like what happened in Captain America #25 ! Civil War was anti-climactic and had no teeth to it. But the story in CA #25 was brilliant, although very tragic. I enjoy the Cap/Rogers relationship because it works for me. But I can see it not working in our post-modern, liberal society. I think CA was shot, not because it was a good story, but because Marvel needed to get rid of Steve Rogers as a moral man. The new Cap, whoever he/she/it may be, will probably have (imho) little or no morals! Watch out Frank Castle, meet the "New Punisher!"

Fan's pocketbooks? I wonder what the statistics would show for the average outlay of cash for monthly comics according to age group. Supposedly comics aren't just for kids anymore, but I am always reading about fans who don't have enough money to buy more books from the cross-overs. If these complaints are from kids, they need to go out and get another job, spend less on video games, or ask their folks for an increase in their allowance. If these are adults, then cut back on other habits and hobbies; or don't buy the comics. I never worry about the cost of comics. I am not filthy rich. I just buy what I want, because I want it. Some months I buy tons of comics. Other months I buy a few. Cash is not an issue. Liking the story/character is. I will generally stop collecting certain comics because I have limited loyalty to the characters. I am in it primarily for the story!

Re: George Tramountanas

Creator and reader burn-out on crossover endings? Yes, many times they are very anti-climactic! But that's because (as I said above) this industry is all about making money. Spider-Man/Super-Man will live forever, no matter how many times they or MJ/Lois Lane die and are resurrected! Comics aren't stories. They are marketable icons that remain in the public's conscience so that our kids will buy them too. Nostalgia passes them on from generation to generation. The only time super-heroes really get killed off is when they aren't selling like Starlin did to Captain Marvel and Warlock back in the 80's! If you think of TV as a parallel, the really great shows don't last more than a few seasons. Once something becomes an institution (like Star Trek, and I "love" Star Trek), there are only so many things that can be done with it. Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun. And I would add, there's nothing new in fiction, when companies (TV or comics) are dealing with licensed iconic characters. The solution is to stop reading comics or to suspend one's belief and just enjoy the ride. I prefer to do the latter! :D

Re: Andy Khouri

Why is it that when readers sign up to join "comic discussion boards," we are encouraged not to use profanity, but both comic creators and staff writers at CBR can use profanity? Even though I have no desire to use profanity in my posts, I feel there is a double-standard in place here! What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by True North View Post
    Re: Andy Khouri

Why is it that when readers sign up to join "comic discussion boards," we are encouraged not to use profanity, but both comic creators and staff writers at CBR can use profanity? Even though I have no desire to use profanity in my posts, I feel there is a double-standard in place here! What's up with that?
    I don't know who told you not to use profanity on the boards. Fuck 'em.

Exclamation Miscellaneous Trends of 2007

Hollywood & Comics:
    Knaufs on Iron Man, Heinberg on Young Avengers (Let's hope for Vol. #2 !) and JMS on anything, are all top notch artists doing great books!

Music & Comics:
    Somebody forgot to mention the recent KISS comics ! :rolleyes: :D

Lateness of Comics:
    Lindelhof is really late! It won't be worth the wait on Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk!

Collections:
    Absolutely! Bring 'em all on !

Default crossovers

I didn't like the ending to Civil War, but I did like what happened in Captain America #25 ! Civil War was anti-climactic and had no teeth to it. But the story in CA #25 was brilliant, although very tragic. I enjoy the Cap/Rogers relationship because it works for me. But I can see it not working in our post-modern, liberal society. I think CA was shot, not because it was a good story, but because Marvel needed to get rid of Steve Rogers as a moral man. The new Cap, whoever he/she/it may be, will probably have (imho) little or no morals! Watch out Frank Castle, meet the "New Punisher!"
    Just to be clear,you're saying that because of this liberal society (err....have you seen the news lately) a Captain America with morals doesn't work? I totally disagree, I think Steve Rogers as Cap can work regardless of the actual and supposed current political climate, that's one of the beauties of the character. He had his own set of morals which he adhered to regardless of what was going on around him. That's one of the reasons why I personally don't care for the more ruthless Ultimate version. Remember 616 Cap had Black, Jewish and gay friends way before it was acceptable.

Crossovers: I remember when it was a big deal when the Human Torch would appear in an issue of Spider-man and the meeting was acknowledged in the FF books. To me that was fun and showed them all living together and helped the characterization. Secret Wars wasn't that bad as things happened there that weren't all that earth shaking, Spidey getting the venom symbiote, Colossus meeting a girl having her die, and the Thing staying behind were the big storylines. As a kid, Crisis was just awesome from the scale of it. The reboot actually got me into buying some DC books as I was turned off by some of the silver age goofiness of some of the characters.
    As for crossovers as a whole, I think both companies need to layoff of them for a while, so when they inevitably do another mega crossover event, it will actually be a big deal and will probably have the sales to match. This will also allow the writers of the individual books some breathing room to nurture their respective books as opposed to having to try and squeeze in stories around prologues and epilogues for the various crossovers.

Smile Clarifications

Quote Originally Posted by kamandi View Post
    Just to be clear,you're saying that because of this liberal society (err....have you seen the news lately) a Captain America with morals doesn't work? I totally disagree, I think Steve Rogers as Cap can work regardless of the actual and supposed current political climate, that's one of the beauties of the character. He had his own set of morals which he adhered to regardless of what was going on around him. That's one of the reasons why I personally don't care for the more ruthless Ultimate version. Remember 616 Cap had Black, Jewish and gay friends way before it was acceptable.

Crossovers: I remember when it was a big deal when the Human Torch would appear in an issue of Spider-man and the meeting was acknowledged in the FF books. To me that was fun and showed them all living together and helped the characterization. Secret Wars wasn't that bad as things happened there that weren't all that earth shaking, Spidey getting the venom symbiote, Colossus meeting a girl having her die, and the Thing staying behind were the big storylines. As a kid, Crisis was just awesome from the scale of it. The reboot actually got me into buying some DC books as I was turned off by some of the silver age goofiness of some of the characters.
    As for crossovers as a whole, I think both companies need to layoff of them for a while, so when they inevitably do another mega crossover event, it will actually be a big deal and will probably have the sales to match. This will also allow the writers of the individual books some breathing room to nurture their respective books as opposed to having to try and squeeze in stories around prologues and epilogues for the various crossovers.
    My apologies for my lack of clarity. I am in agreement with you that Steve Rogers "works" in any environment. And I wish he was still around! What I meant to say is that our current political-religious environment doesn't want a Steve Rogers, that's why they killed him off! He would still work, but the current political-religious climate (both fictional in the story arcs themselves, and to some degree, the creators at Marvel, not all of whom are liberal) removed Steve Rogers from the scene. If I am not mistaken, Mark Millar is a liberal and the brain trust of Civil War. I don't know what Brubaker's views are. But it seems to me that the larger percentage of Marvel's writers have a liberal bent (politically and religiously). Thus, the "New" Captain America will be written to have a "better fit" with the collapsing morals of our surrounding culture. Steve Rogers has always been anachronistic, beautifilly so, but nevertheless he has always been out of sync with the times ever since he was released from suspended animation in Avengers #4.

I will quickly add that I agree with your comments about MTU, SW, etc. I like an MU where the heroes help each other, and sometimes the villains help too! Maybe we'll see this in Secret Invasion?
    Last edited by True North; 01-03-2008 at 09:45 AM.