Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What's wrong with Batman?

IMHO, Batman is not reaching its potential as a title.

Now, of course, many folk enjoy what Morrisson and Dini have been doing, which is swell.

I'm just standing on my rickety soap box for a minute or two...

I think ads released at the time of Batman Year One summed up the character perfectly: a cunning fighter, the world's greatest detective.

My Batman (which may not be yours, of course) is about solving mysteries and fantastic crimes. He should be seen using CSI inspired techniques (with a utility belt that is actually used) as well as his deductive abilities to determine suspects and be at the scene of the next crime before it happens (as described wonderfully by Stephen King in Batman 400).

His use of violence should be only when necessary, relying more on suggestion and intimidation. He should face common thugs as well as diabolical costumed villains, using his wits and indomitable will to escape from flamboyant traps and predicaments.

He should have romantic interests and friends that assist him in his quest for justice.

This is not the guy running around All Star Batman or the last few decades of Bats' books, which is too bad.

I miss him.

Actually, the guy you just described is the one who has been featuring in Dini's run on Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectFanboy View Post
    IMHO, Batman is not reaching its potential as a title.

Now, of course, many folk enjoy what Morrisson and Dini have been doing, which is swell.

I'm just standing on my rickety soap box for a minute or two...

I think ads released at the time of Batman Year One summed up the character perfectly: a cunning fighter, the world's greatest detective.

My Batman (which may not be yours, of course) is about solving mysteries and fantastic crimes. He should be seen using CSI inspired techniques (with a utility belt that is actually used) as well as his deductive abilities to determine suspects and be at the scene of the next crime before it happens (as described wonderfully by Stephen King in Batman 400).

His use of violence should be only when necessary, relying more on suggestion and intimidation. He should face common thugs as well as diabolical costumed villains, using his wits and indomitable will to escape from flamboyant traps and predicaments.

He should have romantic interests and friends that assist him in his quest for justice..

In order to portray a Batman like this it would require research and writing talent and too many of todays writers are not up to the task.

This is not the guy running around All Star Batman or the last few decades of Bats' books, which is too bad.
    Sloppy lazy writing. Morrison and Dini are okay...and a marked improvement from what came ahead. But I wouldn't call their books enthralling. I find Dini slightly boring. And the only thing I like about Morrison's Batman is the fact that he writes Batman more along the lines of 70's Batman whereas he's more fleshed out. I also like the fact that he writes about Bruce Wayne. But the story telling...

I miss him.
    I'm really hopping that the 70's books get collected in a B&W trade.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

The actual "problem" is simple- there's no stable creative team. Every popular and rememberable run featured a team that lasted for a good while. I believe it was from "HUSH" on that there has been shifting teams each of which ignoring the previous ones and featuring that writer's own version of Batman. I personally miss the 90's era with I believe had Moench and Dixon on Batman and 'Tec, but I agree Dini has been doing a good job of fleshing out the rest of the Bat-world and utilizing continuity in the stories while still keeping them self-contained.

Registration Withdrawn TROUBLEZ's Avatar

It seems that all the Batman books are missing something for me. All-Star Batman has great art by Jim Lee and has Frank Miller writing but the decompressed story is boring, and if that wasn't bad enough, we have an @$$_____ Batman saying "Goddamn" all the time, making Robin eat rats, hitting him etc etc.

Paul Dini is writing some solid stories in Detective, but the art team kept getting switched (maybe Dini wanted that however), the covers are in black and white, which is not eye catching to the non-Fanboy.

And Batman Confidential...well I don't like it that much but I never buy it too read enough of it, and it's a new title so that needs a little time.

I agree whole-heartedly...

What a sec, this is my thread!

Unsettling, yet also flattering <g>.

Batman's problem is the same one it's been for a long time. Waaaay too much "Dark Knight" and not nearly enough "Detective."

There have been Batman writers in the past who actually wrote stories where Batman had to think his way out of a problem. That's pretty much gone by the boards now. What we're getting instead is stuff like Dwayne McDuffie having Batman saying dumb shit like how easily he can pick the locks at Ft. Knox. Ugh.

Comics are first and foremost an art and action medium. It's not very exciting to have Batman trying to piece together the clues while sitting in the Batcave. Now he just pulls up the info on his computer and he's done and ready to go out and kick some butt.

It could get better, but as long as junk like "All-Star Batman and Robin" stays popular you're going to continue to see the triumph of pretty pictures and empty stories. :(
    Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.

~ Warren Ellis

www.imageaddiction.net michaeljsmith's Avatar

I would agree. Batman was an incredible hero because he was a real man with his wits and some "cool toys". Now he seems to never really fail and cannot be beaten. His internal struggles don't seem to last more than 30 seconds and he always ends up on top. The guy is anything but human these days - he is a brick wall when it comes to personality. Batman was about striiking fear - now the only thing I fear is the decline of this character.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

I'm surprised to see a couple of people frustrated like I am.

Batman is a superhero I absolutely love in concept and universe but he's just not clicking for me these days.

I've been trying to get back into the books for months but I'm on the verge of dropping both of them (Detective Comics & Batman).

Quote Originally Posted by zebop View Post
    It could get better, but as long as junk like "All-Star Batman and Robin" stays popular you're going to continue to see the triumph of pretty pictures and empty stories. :(

The "All-Star" title exemplifies the hollywoodizing of the Batman image. It's like Quentin Terrentino produced the $#!t! It's really unneccessary.

I think DC missed a golden opportunity with the Batman character & the revelation that he was mindwiped by his peers.

That should've been the basis for the next weekly. Instead, we have Countdown. Nothing against Countdown--because I've enjoyed it--but this should've been pushed back to accomodate a weekly story centered around Batman.

The whole cleansing of his paranoia was too quick. There could've been so much more.

Dan DiDio.*

*also applies to the rest of the DCU.

Valencia, Venezuela, feeling rather sucky. Or ducky.

Maybe you are just too burnt out on the character. From an objective perspective, I think Dini's run is great, and Morrison's had improved, but after so much Bat-stuff pumped down our throats in the recent past, if you have been following it all, I can see why you could get tired with the character even if Alan Moore was writing him with Jim Lee art.

And to all those who keep complaining about not enough detective work... let's face it, comics aren't as well suited to actual detective stories as TV or prose. Standard detective procedures, most often, translate quite poorly and are boring in a comics format. Plus, with the main draws of the Batman canon, the big names villains, traditional detective work to learn who is the guilty party is useless... most Batman villains make quite blatant when they commit a crime.

I like Dini's run cause we see the detective there. I always like the detective more than the dark knight. There is a good balance of both in Dini's run atleast up to the issues i have read.

Morrison's run i dont care for at all.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Hot Sex On A Platter PamGrierOverdrive's Avatar

The artwork on these titles hasn't helped things either, particularly on Batman. Tony Daniel's pencils are very unimpressive. The Bats editorial team should take a cue from Marvel's art direction on titles like The Immortal Iron Fist and Captain America.