View Poll Results: Give Penny an apple? (adds 1 to Penny's Apple Score)

Voters
90. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

81 90.00%
  • No

3 3.33%
  • Who?

8 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Thanks, Mimic616, you're the best! I wonder, though, could you tell me a bit about "Wizard Cerebro Guide" and "New Warriors # 1 (Cover)" because I'm not sure I understand. I've got a handle on what everything else is, except Marvel Legacy 1990 but I'm assuming it's a hardcover written not directly by Marvel people and therefore not worth my time or money. ;)

The Cerebro Guide sounds like a Wizard exclusive with bio entries; I couldn't find a copy on eBay so if you're not too busy, could you glance over that entry (or digitally scan it, lol) and see if it says anything significant about the character (specifically her powers) we might not know? Only if you're not too busy. ;)
    The Cerebro Guide was a Wizard exclusive during the Zero Tolerance period.

The link below has the cover and the entry of Penance/Hollow.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...rebroguide.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...roguidep12.jpg

The New Warriors mini-series 1-6 where Speedball gets the New Warriors on reality tv. On the cover of the 1st issue Penance can be seen on the lower right.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...NWWARRIORS.jpg

The Marvel Handbook Legacy 1990, talks about all the great marvel characters of the 90's. Included is a team profile of Generation-X. That came out recently.

BANNED

ok, so i guess they are not going to at ALL explain what the hell penance was doing in that container and why she was named hollow. and why her skin is no longer razor sharp etc. AWFUL, and to think i wasted my money on all these isssues!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MIMIC616 View Post
    Also, I posted this Old Ad for the Generation-X series. Not part of the search, but i liked it.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...assoutgenx.jpg
    OMG Ive never seen this! thanks for posting it! I love Jono when he was all Bachalogoth-ish!

ok I love Penny too! here's an avatar I made that I was gonna use here but it was too big. :(

and a fanart I made a long time ago...

The Cerebro Guide was a Wizard exclusive during the Zero Tolerance period.

The New Warriors mini-series 1-6 where Speedball gets the New Warriors on reality tv. On the cover of the 1st issue Penance can be seen on the lower right.

The Marvel Handbook Legacy 1990, talks about all the great marvel characters of the 90's. Included is a team profile of Generation-X. That came out recently.
    I think it was after Zero Tolerance because it has Penance as the twins...? Thanks so much for posting those pictures! :)

And about the NW cover, I see now, wow, that's so cool! And Chamber's there, too. Thanks again. :D

And about Legacy 1990: oh it came out recently, that's probably why I haven't seen it yet. I'm glad Generation X got a profile. They're the best team of the 90s as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    ok, so i guess they are not going to at ALL explain what the hell penance was doing in that container and why she was named hollow. and why her skin is no longer razor sharp etc. AWFUL, and to think i wasted my money on all these isssues!!!
    And how she can talk! And why she can fly! And how her tracking power works!

I hope it wasn't a total waste for you, Callisto, though. After all, it's the most significant thing Penance has done since Generation X. I'm over-the-moon happy that C.B. used her at all and that it may mean more Penance/Hollow in the future. And I don't know about you but I liked the thought-provoking narration and detailed characters (well, except in issue #6, they were all pretty ... "lite" versions of themselves in that issue).

Had to split this post into two parts because again, for some reason, it wouldn't let me put all this in one post. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    ok I love Penny too! here's an avatar I made that I was gonna use here but it was too big. :(

and a fanart I made a long time ago...
    Cool avatar, jawbreaker, I'm definitely saving it to my computer when I get hope. I love that scene! :)

I've always liked that fan art! Did you improve the coloring recently? It seems richer to me, for some reason. Maybe just because I haven't seen it in a while.

===
    Also, I wanted to invite everyone to join the Penance Fangroup I have on YouTube, here. It's an easy way to see anything even remotely Penance-related on YouTube. I hope linking to other sites is allowed on this board, hehe.

BANNED

I heard C.B. who wrote Loners wanted to do an 18 issue story. He left the limited open ended so a sequel could be done. Who knows if it will happen though because the sales weren't that great. So much was left up in the air. We don't learn anything at all. I want to know more about Hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I heard C.B. who wrote Loners wanted to do an 18 issue story. He left the limited open ended so a sequel could be done. Who knows if it will happen though because the sales weren't that great. So much was left up in the air. We don't learn anything at all. I want to know more about Hollow.
    Yeah, I read that C.B. had 18 issues of an ongoing all planned out, which is why my expectations for this mini were so great. After all, if a writer has all that planned out, he must've planned the heck out of the original mini! Planned, planned, and then planned some more. Planned it so bad it was beggin' for mercy. :D Worked out all those gosh darn dangling plotlines and then refined how exactly they were going to be resolved. Went over the minutia of the dialogue and character interaction and development points.

Sad to see that wasn't the case, however. I'm thinking he had an original plan, then scrapped it to try to make the mini more open-ended. Which really sucks. A mini should close the most immediate, relevant plotlines while leaving the larger ones open -- isn't that a basic thing any writer knows? -- and this mini just didn't do that. It closed hardly any plotlines (and not in a very satisfying way; the reveal of Red Ronin felt very tacked-on) and the way other plotlines were left open was very unsatisfying as well (what ruined it was the repeated mantra of "I won't tell any secrets right now" as the singular LAME excuse all the characters had). Especially unsatisfying was when Mickey teased us with "I guess I'll go first because I have the most explaining to do" and then DIDN'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING. Lol.

Marvel is updating all its old OHOTMU entries (including the issue that has Penance in it!) into hardcovers and I'm seriously hoping that more will be revealed about Hollow there. Because, you see, C.B. left the most basic of points about Hollow open-ended and the updated entry would be pretty ... non-sensical and random without some of this basic stuff such as how Hollow got to L.A. when we last read she was in Monaco (which is in Africa...).

I've always liked that fan art! Did you improve the coloring recently? It seems richer to me, for some reason. Maybe just because I haven't seen it in a while.
    where else have you seen this pic before? nope I didnt change the coloring, though I have 2 different jpeg sizes of it so maybe this is a different one than the one I youve seen before?

as for Penny in Loners, maybe they can continue covering some of her loose ends in the New Warriors book, since she has ties to 2 of the members there?
    Or, maybe C.B. can do a guest arc where the NW's help the Loners sort things out?

And about the NW cover, I see now, wow, that's so cool! And Chamber's there, too. Thanks again.
    there was a Newsarama interview where Skottie Young mentioned he loves Gen X & a new Gen X story or book would be his dream project...
    Last edited by jawbreaker; 11-26-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    where else have you seen this pic before? nope I didnt change the coloring, though I have 2 different jpeg sizes of it so maybe this is a different one than the one I youve seen before?

as for Penny in Loners, maybe they can continue covering some of her loose ends in the New Warriors book, since she has ties to 2 of the members there?
    Or, maybe C.B. can do a guest arc where the NW's help the Loners sort things out?
    I checked Kindred Spirits and Sugarbombs.com real quick and I didn't see it there, so I'm thinking I saw it on DeviantART?

I like the idea of a NW/Loners arc with Penny being reunited with her two best friends, lol.

Oh, and I see your avatar. Have you seen this little video yet? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I like the idea of a NW/Loners arc with Penny being reunited with her two best friends, lol.
    I like this idea. Now if only you can get a Thunderbolts/Loners.

Norman Osborn/Phil Urich
    Songbird/Turbo
    Swordsman/Ricochet
    Radioactive Man/Red Ronin - Namie
    Penance/Hollow
    Venom II/Darkhawk
    Moonstone/Lightspeed

I like this idea. Now if only you can get a Thunderbolts/Loners.

Norman Osborn/Phil Urich
    Songbird/Turbo
    Swordsman/Ricochet
    Radioactive Man/Red Ronin - Namie
    Penance/Hollow
    Venom II/Darkhawk
    Moonstone/Lightspeed
    LOL. Yeah, I'd like to see that! :D Only problem is, Hollow would totally out-class that poseur in the spike-suit. Her spikes are the real thing! ;)

BTW, seeing as I was one of the main progenitors of the "Hollow can fly?" thing, I thought I'd let everyone know that I asked C.B. on his blog and he was kind enough to take the time out to answer (I picked that as my question I knew it would take all of 15 seconds to answer if he saw it). The answer is that she was leaping away with Phil.

ChesterFest at Blogspot

Considering Penance's feats of agility (and that one time she leapt out of the jeep and was speeding ahead of it to clear away trees...) in Generation X, I don't think this is that much of a stretch.

ALSO, I rediscovered a Q&A with Cebulski around the time Loners #1 was released. You'll notice from his answers that, for the most part, any Penance/Hollow fan should be filled with hope for the Loners mini. Sad to see he didn't stick with his earlier plans to let us know more about Penny/Holly!

Actually, C.B. ended up following through on very little he planned to do. For instance, Turbo and Darkhawk didn't deal with their old team being scapegoats since Civil War. It just goes to show you that there were many good ideas for The Loners that, for whatever reason, C.B. decided he couldn't fit into the mini and/or just plain decided to leave out. Sigh.

Since this is a thread dedicated to the character, I suppose I'll go ahead and repost the relevant questions here, for posterity's sake if nothing else.

Actually, C.B.'s answer to the first question, where he says he regularly goes back to read early (Chris Bachalo) issues of Generation X may explain why Hollow had a tracking power. An early issue of Generation X (#2 or #3, I'm thinking) is the ONLY example I've seen of anything remotely like tracking for the character. When Husk and Banshee went after her, she realized they were after her and ambushed them. Banshee said that they weren't tracking her as much as she was tracking them! :O

Good stuff, lol. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MattBrady
    Q: Is that really Penance from Generation X? How'd she get out to Los Angeles?

C.B.: Yes, that's indeed the old Penance character from Generation X, which I'm a huge fan of and still go back and read on a regular basis! Chris Bachalo is so amazing! Except these days she won't be called Penance anymore as Speedball inherited the Penance moniker after his transformation seen in Civil War Front Line. The spiked redhead formerly known as Penny will now be going by the name Hollow. As to how she got to L.A, we'll be explaining that shortly.

Q: Are you ever gonna explain Penance's convoluted back story?

C.B.: Yeah, I get this one a lot. Emplate, Monet, the St. Croix twins... it turned into quite the mess toward the end there. However, in my mind, it's not all that complicated. Monet and the twins were separated from the Penance body, leaving them human and normal again. The three beings who used to inhabit that hardened red body no longer do. For me, that cleared up most of the situation. Yes, there's still the matter of the Penance body itself, and I see it as empty shell at this point, hence the name Hollow. Is there someone inhabiting it at this point. Yes. Who is it? Wait and see!

Q: Will Monet come and track down the Loners when she hears about Penance being back?

C.B.: Makes sense that she would, right? X-Factor is one of my favorite comics at the moment and if Monet wants to come and play with the Loners, she's more than welcome. I'll call Peter David and see what we can do!

Q: Will the old Penance (Hollow) ever meet the new Penance (Speedball)?

C.B.: While that would be pretty cool, there are no plans at this time, unfortunately. Loners is a brand new comic and Penance is a new character on his own new team in Thunderbolts. I think Marvel wants to give both properties the time to find their footing first. But as Darkhawk and Turbo were once fellow teammates of Speedball's, it would be kind of interesting to see them all hook up again after so much has changed for them all!
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 11-26-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Default Penance vs...?

This is pretty silly, and one of these topics isn't even on CBR, but I thought I'd share, since this topic is all about the Penny love. And there's an awful lot of it in the "penance vs. wolverine" topic. :D

Penance vs. Wolverine

Penance vs. Talon (X-23/Weapon 23)

Yeah, I'm the only one who made an argument in the X-23 vs. Penance thread, and I was doing it with only having read an issue or two of X-23 in it so I don't really know the character very well, but I figured if it was going to be a mostly-ignored Comic Book Rumble, I might as well spread the Penny/Holly love a little and boast about my favorite character, haha. If someone wants to post a more realistic, detailed idea of what the X-23 vs. Penance fight would be like, I'd love to read it. ;)

Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #116
    COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Larry Hama’s origin for M and Penance was not what Scott Lobdell originally intended for the characters.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-116/

Comic Vine has a good account of Hollow history as well.

http://www.comicvine.com/hollow/10573/#charac

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

the name 'Hollow' has grown on me. now if only Starsmore would go back to calling himself Chamber.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time