Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    I'm kind of old-school, so I'm not sure I fit well into the conversation here.

However, I tend to prefer supernatural stuff over just killer humans. I do make exceptions for Vincent Price's character in House of Wax and The Phantom of the Opera. The Phantom is kind of the Batman of classic horror villians, though. Seriously, in Leroux's book he's noted as being a genius, inventor, world traveller and master of using something called a "punjab lasso". It sounds like a crime fighter's back story. Anyway, he may not be supernatural, but he's so good at what he does that it doesn't matter.
    Interesting thanks for sharing that. I'll gladly take Hammer Horror and the AIP stuff over 99.8% modern day horror. As much as I adore folks like Rick Baker, there's something about the older material that is fun as well as creepy.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i wouldn't call myself a Hammer horror fan. i own and enjoy most of the Amicus horror anthologies, though; House that Dripped Blood, Torture Garden, Asylum, Monster Club, Tales from the Crypt (and Vault), Torture Garden. i don't have dr.terror's house of horrors though. i grew up reading the EC comics and these were the closest i could get to that; in live-action.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

I can understand that Monty_Cristo. Hammer comes across as quaint and unscary now, but I've got a huge soft spot for Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. The older I get, the less the real stuff appeals to me. With the exception of John Carpenter's The Thing and Tenebre, I think I could do just fine with horror films from the 60s and 70s and not have to go any further than that.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

I prefer supernatural horror myself. The monsters can be completely evil and near unstoppable, alien and powerful, and it just works. But then I've never really been a slasher or torture film fan. I like Dracula and Frankenstein and the like. There's a certain mythic quality to these monsters, something that gets to all the old, primordial fears of the dark and unknown, something iconic. In the bible the devil isn't a red skinned horned monster, but people made him into that form for a reason. People need monsters. Every culture has made monsters.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

While I prefer supernatural, I think reality is way more effective for the horror genre. No monster no matter how gruesome can equate to the terror created by a plausible representation of just what evil lurks in the hearts of human beings. The fact that that an otherwise ordinary person can become a monstrous killer, when done right is damned scary.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    I can understand that Monty_Cristo. Hammer comes across as quaint and unscary now, but I've got a huge soft spot for Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. The older I get, the less the real stuff appeals to me. With the exception of John Carpenter's The Thing and Tenebre, I think I could do just fine with horror films from the 60s and 70s and not have to go any further than that.
    You know the funny thing. When I'm watching a horror movie, I'm rarely interested in being scared. It's more like I'm interested in the dark fantasy and spooky atmospherics of it all. That's probably why I only watch earlier horror flicks like the old Universal ones.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    yeah, it's rare that i find something new that i enjoy. a low budget horror movie of old used to be entertaining. nowadays, low budget equals unwatchable. maybe all of the good stories have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    You know the funny thing. When I'm watching a horror movie, I'm rarely interested in being scared. It's more like I'm interested in the dark fantasy and spooky atmospherics of it all. That's probably why I only watch earlier horror flicks like the old Universal ones.
    Usually when I am scared watching a horror film, I tend to think about the issues or storyline the movie presents. And, most times, those particular movies really made me think about the issues put forth. About the only movie that still scares me now is the Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (even though I know what is going to happen. The atmosphere, sound effects and evil fascist police are even scarier than the zombies and the very gruesome gore (bleh.)) It is the one zombie film I still own.

That's very cool you like the atmosphere and dark fantasy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    yeah, it's rare that i find something new that i enjoy. a low budget horror movie of old used to be entertaining. nowadays, low budget equals unwatchable. maybe all of the good stories have been told.
    Very true. Well, it's said there only are a limited amount of stories, but if you have a different hook or character take on a monster this could make an old story good. That said, I agree with you. :)
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    go to the IMDB page there's huge flame wars over the ending. mostly between people who think it was real vs those who think the movie would be better if he was just crazy. both sides think the others interpretation is a cliche.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

http://myspace.com/urban_prince

Protected by the guage Comic_Mobsta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon6 View Post
    go to the IMDB page there's huge flame wars over the ending. mostly between people who think it was real vs those who think the movie would be better if he was just crazy. both sides think the others interpretation is a cliche.
    I finally saw the movie, yesterday, and enjoyed it. I'm iffy about the ending i think it can go either way. I think leaving it ambiguous was a kinda cop out.
    i'm sorry, Hannibal lecter doesn't scare me. i can easily blow his fucking brains out with my custom magnum 500 (damn i love that gun).and masturbate over his corpse too...Tish-the-Scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    nah hollywood just won't take a risk with anything too out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

http://myspace.com/urban_prince

why did i do it? whyyyy? i rented 'Hypothermia' over the weekend. rarely do i get the urge to stop a dvd midway and drop kick it across the room. this one came close. the only thing that stopped me was begrudging respect for Michael Rooker. the story wasn't bad. the actors weren't bad. but the monster was entirely unprepared for primetime. this mer-creature would have made folks behind the killer shrews blush.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon6 View Post
    nah hollywood just won't take a risk with anything too out of the box.
    that's true. but i'd settle for someone taking a well-worn campfire story and just putting some money into the retelling. i'm also waiting for a followup to Tales from the Hood.