Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gaurdian of the North Johnny Canuck's Avatar

Default Comics about Pirates?

I rather enjoy stories about pirates, but I'm unaware of any english language comics about them (Le Sang du Dragon and Long John Silver were mentioned on this board, but they're both French, and I can't read them)

any ideas/suggestions?

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

http://www.drmcninja.com/

Dr. McNinja is about a ninja doctor who fights pirates...
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

El Cazador, from Crossgen

Hey, I collect Pirates too. And there's actually a bunch of 'em, if you feel like lookin' hard enough.

Quick top five, concentrating on stuff that's both good and easily available:

1) Will Eisner's Hawks of the Sea: Early, early work (like late thirties) from one of the most influential (and skilled) dudes to work in American comics. This is probably my favorite pirate comic ever - Technically a newspaper strip, but it's been collected in several editions. There's a big, hardbound and very yellow version from Kitchen Sink and a more recent edition from Dark Horse.

2) Watchmen: Yeah, THAT Watchmen. Features an ongoing sub-plot from a fictional pirate comic. My favorite part of the book, unsurprisingly. (In a perfect world, superhero comics WOULD be replaced by awesome-ass pirates.)

3) Piracy: 1950s EC comic, but it's been reprinted both in singles and in annuals, and shouldn't be TOO tough to find. The stories, like most of the non-Kurtzman EC stuff, aren't that great. But the line-up of artists is fantastic. Reed Crandall, Jack Davis, George Evans, Graham Ingels, Berni Krigstein & Wally Wood, among others.

4) Captain Pissgums and his Pervert Pirates: Suggested in my thread here.

I don't think this has been serialzied outside of Zap! But most of the issues are still in print from Last Gasp. Pretty damn dirty, and artist S. Clay Wilson's cluttered style is far from my favorite, but it's definitely the most important "underground" Pirate comic.

5) Scurvy Dogs Absolutely essential for the serious Pirate collector. And often freakin' hilllarious. Bill Reed review it here.

6) Polly and the Pirates - VERY proper English prep-school girl becomes Pirate Queen. Really good. Burgas looks at it here.

7) Pirates vs. Ninjas - Is the best currently published Pirate comic.

Also, as far as I know, the ONLY currently published Pirate comic. Still, good fun watching the pirates stomp all over the filthy, cowardly ninjas. Also: Parrot vs. Monkey!

OK, maybe top seven. But those are the pirate books I'd consider absolute essential.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    5) Scurvy Dogs Absolutely essential for the serious Pirate collector. And often freakin' hilllarious. Bill Reed review it here.
    Beat me to it.

Pirates are the new monkeys.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Let's see...

Red Seas - Under The Banner of King Death - Mixing pirates with undead. Unfortunately it's crap (despite being from a Ian Edgington and Steve Yeowell both of whom I like)

Sea of Red - Mixing pirates with undead - also not particularly good

Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates strip is one of the greatest.

The pirates in the Asterix comics are among the greatest characters ofalltime.

Although it's been said, Hawks of the Sea and Polly and the Pirates are worth rementioning.

.....she gets her god like powers from my side of the family

Fantastic Four # 5

"in the early days of The Fantastic Four, co-creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby fumbled about, trying to find a style that would be thrillingly new, yet reasonably popular. Before Lee and Kirby settled on the exact combination of cosmic crises and real-world stress—thereby changing the superhero comics formula for decades to come—the tone of the series shifted wildly from issue to issue and even page to page. Hence issue #5, which rivals the Silver Age Superman comics for near-stream-of-consciousness storytelling. New villain Dr. Doom forces Mr. Fantastic, the Human Torch, and The Thing to travel back in time and steal Blackbeard's treasure chest. Instead, through some kind of temporal anomaly, The Thing becomes Blackbeard, complete with eye-patch and fake beard, and he leads a pirate crew in an epic sea battle, all while barking out orders in flawless pirate-ese."

........hopfully the plot for FF3

http://www.avclub.com/content/featur...derfully_weird

One Piece, by Eiichiro Oda.

I second One Piece
    A N I M E

I found the first Sea of Red to be quite entertaining. I just haven't found the second trade...if there is one to be had.

There is a second one. From what I understand though the art gets a lot worse in the 2nd volume. It's a shame Keiran Dwyer doesn't do the art.

I think Sea of Red is at least up to vol. 3.

I dropped off after vol. 1 because it stopped being, technically, about Pirates. But there are 3 volumes. (Maybe more by now.)
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

I can highly recommend the 'Dead Men Tell No Tales' four issue mini-series that Arcana published back in 2005. It mixed the fictional exploits of real historical pirates with a twist of horror and the supernatural. Click here to see the page on Arcana Comics' website about this series...there's a few preview pages there too.

Oh, and more recently, Marvel Illustrated: Treasure Island has been a hugely enjoyable comic for me. The last issue's out next month I think or you could always wait for the trade.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man