Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR @ Spike TVís Scream Awards 2007

Spike TVís second annual Scream Awards was attended by luminaries from comics, film and television, and CBR News was on the scene to talk to the stars as they made their way down the red carpet.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12177

I'd watch...if they'd actually focus on horror fans.
    Last Son of Detroit

WRTA / Twitter
    / Bijou In Midnight Blue

Default You're so right.

Thanks Royal,

I sent an email to spike(which I'm sure will never be read).

I don't know if I was just too dumb to figure out how to vote, but I complained how I couldn't figure out a way to just vote for comics in their poll on the website. It seemed like I had to go through horror, SF, and fantasy films just to get to my comic vote.

Now bear with me, I appreciate televised comic awards more that gold, but that pigeon-holes us all. I like comics. I don't like every SF, horror, and fantasy film.
    As a matter of fact I haven't seen most of the movies in those categories, so I had to vote in every category I DIDN'T know about-- to get to the one I did(comics).

I pointed out in my email that this may skew their votes in every category, as most serious fans of ONE aren't fans of ALL. This would establish an award that was very non-representitive of the watershed in each categories, as most fans of the given movie GENRES may not be fans of each others' GENRES, much less the MEDIUM of comics, while the majority of vote may come from those outside of the fanbase, forced to vote in order to vote for their own interest.

If your following me, you'll see the problem with the voting system, and you may be more than offended (cause we are all fans of horror, SF, Fantasy MOVIES--AND COMICS)

If I just couldn't figure out how to selectively vote (in 1/2 hour looking at their site) then please let me know and I'll happily lose face. If not, this is offensive and not an accurate representation of any of these GENRES-and especially not of the comics MEDIUM.

----But I'll tell ya, Gaiman on TV----that's pretty cool.---
    Last edited by mauisunset; 10-24-2007 at 01:33 AM.

BANNED

I think you're taking the Spike TV awards a little too seriously.

the goddamn batman-

I understand what you mean, but this was a small chance at some kind of wider recognition, and I think It's been squandered as usual.

I'm not saying you should blame the companies or creators- but if spike is going to use whatever debased "marquee" of comics, then they should "goddamned" be goddamned respectful. Or at least a little- not downright DISrespectful.

Hold your chin up

BTW

I'm a big UFC fan, and a fan of Spike, no reason to think they're across-the-board bad, also not a reason to be dismissive of the first televised comics award show I know of, as the GDBatman seems to think.

I DO appreciate Spike as far as UFC is concerned because they treated something with dignity that others had not...

I demand the same thing of another interest I have-COMICS.

treat a comic awards show with the dignity that they treated UFC with, and they might just find similar results-extremely profitable results.
    Last edited by mauisunset; 10-24-2007 at 01:49 AM.

Let me put it simple.

They don't give a fuck about you. Me. Or anyone who wasted time reading this thread.

And Gaiman got the award as advertisement, so they don't give a fuck about him either.
    Last Son of Detroit

WRTA / Twitter
    / Bijou In Midnight Blue

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mauisunset View Post
    the goddamn batman-

I understand what you mean, but this was a small chance at some kind of wider recognition, and I think It's been squandered as usual.
    By 'wider recognition' do you mean giving awards to either the worst comics that sell the best (all star Batman), or comics from five years ago that weren't even that good then, let alone now, but have a movie out (30 days of night)?

Let's give an award to best comic and completely ignore the best comics. Let's just randomly pick some shit that we (not really comic fans) have heard of and give an award to it. Let's pick a big name guy and give him an award even though the book sucks, and let's completely ignore his ground breaking work in favor of a random ass selection of comics that we're going to call "best".

C'mon, how can you take it seriously when they give an award to All Star Batman and Robin that isn't the 'Biggest let down" award?

I dunno... how was this going to get comics any wider reconition that box office record smashing comic movies didn't or wouldn't? Was Spike tv going to suddenly remove any and all stigma the general populace has about comics? I don't really think so. Personally.

I'm not saying you should blame the companies or creators- but if spike is going to use whatever debased "marquee" of comics, then they should "goddamned" be goddamned respectful. Or at least a little- not downright DISrespectful.

Hold your chin up
    Well, I wasn't blaming the creators or comic companies. I was blaming Spike tv for sucking ass, as usual.

This is an award show that had "Spiderman unmasks to reveal he's Clark Kent" as one of the options for 'most shocking moments in comics'. :rolleyes:

And had Paris Hilton on it. :rolleyes:

And people presenting awards in fields they have nothing to do with. You've already got Niel Gaiman there.... have him give the goddamn best comic award, not that fucktard they had up there.

Clearly, this award show wasn't one to take too seriously, let alone be offended by. Just laugh it off for what it is.

I DO appreciate Spike as far as UFC is concerned because they treated something with dignity that others had not...
    Just one of the many reasons I dislike Spike tv.

treat a comic awards show with the dignity that they treated UFC with, and they might just find similar results-extremely profitable results.
    Spike giving dignity to UFC. Ahhh, yes. They certainly gave them dignity. I mean two out of the three guys who were kicks out for streetfighting last season totally deserved a fight in the finale instead of two smucks who work their asses off to get there. Spike thought it would add "contraversy" to book the damn fight too behind Dana's back.

Yeah. The really show UFC dignity.
    Last Son of Detroit

WRTA / Twitter
    / Bijou In Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    By 'wider recognition' do you mean giving awards to either the worst comics that sell the best (all star Batman), or comics from five years ago that weren't even that good then, let alone now, but have a movie out (30 days of night)?

Let's give an award to best comic and completely ignore the best comics. Let's just randomly pick some shit that we (not really comic fans) have heard of and give an award to it. Let's pick a big name guy and give him an award even though the book sucks, and let's completely ignore his ground breaking work in favor of a random ass selection of comics that we're going to call "best".

C'mon, how can you take it seriously when they give an award to All Star Batman and Robin that isn't the 'Biggest let down" award?

I dunno... how was this going to get comics any wider reconition that box office record smashing comic movies didn't or wouldn't? Was Spike tv going to suddenly remove any and all stigma the general populace has about comics? I don't really think so. Personally.

Well, I wasn't blaming the creators or comic companies. I was blaming Spike tv for sucking ass, as usual.

This is an award show that had "Spiderman unmasks to reveal he's Clark Kent" as one of the options for 'most shocking moments in comics'. :rolleyes:

And had Paris Hilton on it. :rolleyes:

And people presenting awards in fields they have nothing to do with. You've already got Niel Gaiman there.... have him give the goddamn best comic award, not that fucktard they had up there.

Clearly, this award show wasn't one to take too seriously, let alone be offended by. Just laugh it off for what it is.

OKAY---A-Z

The voting system was skewed, so it was not representitive. That's my point.

First point-exactly my point-let's put our (limited) pressure on them to make it appropriate if the so much as mention "comics" both through direct pressure and our grievances on spirited websites like CBR. Let's not lie down for this one!
    An aside- I liked 30 Days of Night-and will see it.

second paragraph: I agree. So much more that we should let our voices be heard.--Also I think Spike could play a signigicant role if anyone bothered to tell them. I know the stigma won't be removed with inaction.

Well, technically, I'd say that recognition isn't DAMAGED through multi-hundred-thousand viewer expected viewerships, as was available with the awards.

You might've notice that box-office breakers have been in a very narrow genre category despite very-successful comics-movie movies being produced outside of that genre

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Spike giving dignity to UFC. Ahhh, yes. They certainly gave them dignity. I mean two out of the three guys who were kicks out for streetfighting last season totally deserved a fight in the finale instead of two smucks who work their asses off to get there. Spike thought it would add "contraversy" to book the damn fight too behind Dana's back.

Yeah. The really show UFC dignity.

Don't know if this is the time and place,

but I'd be happy to duscuss. Do you really know about, or just a TV fan, sorry to ask.

You Train?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauisunset View Post

ROYAL: ???HUH???
    Last edited by mauisunset; 10-24-2007 at 03:36 AM.

BANNED

[QUOTE=mauisunset;5689144]OKAY---A-Z

The voting system was skewed, so it was not representitive. That's my point.
    A lot of awards are given by a panel of judges. You're lucky to even been given the chance to vote.

Also? Nothing stopped me from voting over and over and over if I wanted.

An aside- I liked 30 Days of Night-and will see it.
    I don't have anything agianst 30 Days. I like Ben's art, I follow his work now, I'll see the movie, Ben says it's great and I think he's a fine bloke. But BEST comic? I don't even think Ben would agree.

I don't know man, I just didn't take it seriously. From the voting to the actual show it was exactly what I expected. I jsut don't care about awards or award shows.

Truth? I only turned it on to see Ben Templesmith win an award on tv.

You Train?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauisunset View Post

ROYAL: ???HUH???
    [QUOTE=the goddamn batman;5689178]
    OKAY---A-Z

A lot of awards are given by a panel of judges. You're lucky to even been given the chance to vote.

Also? Nothing stopped me from voting over and over and over if I wanted.

I don't have anything agianst 30 Days. I like Ben's art, I follow his work now, I'll see the movie, Ben says it's great and I think he's a fine bloke. But BEST comic? I don't even think Ben would agree.

I don't know man, I just didn't take it seriously. From the voting to the actual show it was exactly what I expected. I jsut don't care about awards or award shows.

Truth? I only turned it on to see Ben Templesmith win an award on tv.
    You cared enough to vote over and over but not enough to open your mouth when it sucked?

You put just as much effort into being involved in the thing as you would have telling Spike why it wasn't good.

There's this depressing mood here that, no matter what we do, we will not be listened to or taken seriously.

Big companies WANT your input. That's why there are still so many superhero comics-a big company responding to a small but noisy audience.

Seeing what Spike put together, I doubt they're reading any of these responses. However, a GOOD company, that put together a GOOD show would be. This is evolution.

If this were any other show which had completely insulted it's audience and not taken their views into consideration, someone would be on the chopping-block. Why the self-hatred?

When someone steps on your toes you don't murmur to the guy next to you that "Man, these toe-steppers just don't care and never will." No you shove them and tell them to get the fuck off!

BANNED

You cared enough to vote over and over but not enough to open your mouth when it sucked?
    I only voted once. I only voted to get Ben Templesmith an award... even if a silly one. I said that nothing stopped me from voting more than once if I wanted.

But I didn't want to.

Now, obviously you feel truley offended by all of this, but you have to understand that I don't. Spike is crap in my mind, and these awards weren't any different. So, whatever. Good on Ben for winning, but beyond that... whatever. I just don't care.