Page 3 of 244 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Uncanny #2 thoughts:

The O5 seem very inexperienced and young in this issue. There was a lot of blaming each other going on after they failed against the Vanisher. Bobby especially is acting out in these early issues. I think it has to do with him feeling insecure about being the youngest and also wanting to get some attention.

One funny thing was Xavier and the military people analzying video of the Vanisher to come up with a plan to stop him. Stan made it seem like this was the whole key to figuring out how to stop him. They even had a big mysterious scene change right before Xavier revealed his plan to the X-Men. That all seemed kind of pointless since Xavier's whole plan ended up being to mind wipe the Vanisher.

It's also interesting to note that most of the regular people view the X-Men as heroes right now. Of course they weren't happy when the X-Men failed to stop the Vanisher in the beginning, but they still regard them as heroes.

My hat is off to the folks who are going to try and make a chronological run of the X-Men part of their daily lives. Those readers are made of stronger stock than I am but I'm looking forward to reading their opinions.

@Schuimend Mormel, I agree I liked seeing the X-Men defeated for the first time. No surprise that they argued about it for hours afterwards. Surprising that the "Miraculous" Magneto could not beat them, and yet the forgotten Vanisher did.

There's a problem with Professor X using his powers to mindwipe others. He's so powerful the X-Men will have nothing to do but sit on the sidelines eating popcorn!

@Flaneur, I'm not sure about X-Men: The Hidden Years. I have the whole 22-issue series, I may create a different thread for it when #66 hits. It has some good stuff.

@Xgeek52, glad to have you aboard! I hope you have a lot to add since you read these issues firsthand.

@Caney, it is interesting how humans and the military seem to love the X-Men. None of this "Mutant Hate" when the X-Men began their adventures!

X-Men #3

1st Appearance: The Blob

As the cover says: "X-Men! The teenage Super-Heroes who Have Taken America By Storm!"

#3 begins with another training session in the Danger Room. Professor Xavier refers to Cyclops as probably the most powerful X-Man! Iceman has a discernible face now, and not just a snowy mass. Prof X senses a mutant in New York, and announces the team will investigate.

But first, seeing Jean Grey off, Charles thinks these immortal words: As though I could help worrying about the one I love! But I can never TELL her! I have no right! Not while I'm the leader of the X-Men, and confined to this wheelchair! I found this passage disturbing and wonder about Charles Xavier mental stability!! :p

Warren grabs Jean and they drive off in a race car. Cyclops thinks "Of all the girls I've ever met, she is the one I'd give my heart to---but I don't dare! Not while I possess my dread power!" Anyway, the X-Men search New York for this new mutant, finally Scott discovers the Blob working in a carnival. The Blob displays his uncanny powers of invulnerability. The team talk the Blob into visiting the mansion, where after showing off his amazing powers, Xavier asks the Blob to join the X-Men! Which the Blob declines, and a scuffle occurs between the team & the Blob. The X-Men lose a second time as the Blob escapes.

The Blob returns to the carnival and forms a group of circus performers and freaks to attack the X-Men at their Mansion. Next we know, the circus army assaults the Mansion and the X-Men do battle with them. Unfortunately, the team is soundly defeated in a wild battle! Charles Xavier saves the day again, using his mental prowess, amplified by an intensifier, to erase the memory from the Blob and the circus army minds of why they are there in the first place. Again, Prof X is the real winner this issue.

My thoughts: another great issue! The battle with the circus and the X-Men was long, and Stan & Jack used every carnival idea they could come up with to spice it up. I liked the Blob as a villain, more than the Vanisher. I could just hear an old Brooklyn-type accent coming from him. But even though Charles Xavier saved the day again, I still feel a little unnerved by his unnatural feelings forward Jean Grey. Don't know what to make of that!!
    Last edited by david r; 10-23-2007 at 07:43 PM.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post
    But first, seeing Jean Grey off, Charles thinks these immortal words: As though I could help worrying about the one I love! But I can never TELL her! I have no right! Not while I'm the leader of the X-Men, and confined to this wheelchair! I found this passage disturbing and wonder about Charles Xavier mental stability!! :p
    Ah, yes. THAT passage. Mentioned once and then never mentioned again for a good many years...:D There's a reason for that.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

It also looks like the X-Men get a bit of character development in this issue; for instance, the Beast is now shown to be scholarly and uses big words, after it was hinted at in issue 2 that he was 'smarter than the others' (according to Hank himself, at least).

The fight scene was good fun again, and it gave Cyclops the opportunity to show the impressive power of his optic blast. He even pushes back an elephant.

I suggest you skip the first few issues as they quite repetitive and have no real character moments.
    And yes, Xavier never mentions these feelings for Jean Grey again, although it is briefly mentioned in Onslaught.
    Blob eventually returns as a recurring villain.

Uncanny #3 thoughts:

Reading this issue again, I had the same reaction as the first time I read it. The X-Men looked like jerks and the Blob came off as somewhat sympathetic. Xavier offers the Blob a spot on the X-Men, but when he refuses, Xavier has the X-Men attack him. Of course Blob looks much less sympathetic after he takes over the carnival and has them attack the mansion.

For the second issue in a row the villain is defeated by having Xavier wipe out his memories. He seems to use his power much more liberally and without much second thought in these early issues. At least he let the X-Men contain the situation before he took over this time.

I also liked the beginning of Beast's development as a genius this issue. They've been using his power in creative ways the last couple issues as well.

I'll give this one a 4 out of 5.

I can't imagine what the X-Men would be like if they accepted Blob as their seventh member (including Professor X). I thought it was great that the X-Men were open to new members for their team.
    Insert something witty and charming here.

BANNED

To be perfectly honest i am not a fan at all of the Lee/kirby years at all.
    i think it's a damn shame the Roy Thomas years didn't last very long.

Hey David R! (this is my first post so, uh, hey there everyone else)

I've been doing something similair over on blogger with my Uncanny X-Periment!

I've done the core X-Men books (Uncanny, adjectiveless, Astonishing) and a few of the other related books for key stories (Generation X, New Mutants, Cable, etc.)

I'm interested in reading more of your thoughts on these issues!

~W~

@Schuimend Mormel, you're right that #3 shows the Beast using his big words. And studying a lot.

@Caney, does seem odd that Prof X would want the X-Men to battle the Blob after he declined to join the team. Charles does several strange things this issue.

@The Sword is Drawn, I wonder what Stan Lee was thinking??

@Thew40, welcome to CBR!! I'll have to check out your site. Have you read the entire run of Uncanny X-Men?

I read half of #4, but because of the Rockies/Red Sox World Series, I'll have to post my review tomorrow. It's getting too late here.

Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post

@Thew40, welcome to CBR!! I'll have to check out your site. Have you read the entire run of Uncanny X-Men?
    Thanks!

Most of it. I'm knee-deep in "Decimation" at this point. I used a combination of back issues, Essentials, trades, and the CD-Rom to read Uncanny.

~W~

Uncanny #4 thoughts:

This issue was fantastic from start to finish. Definately my favorite so far. So many long-standing X-Men ideas were set up here including the introduction of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the first on panel discussion between Professor X and Magneto about the future of a world with both humans and mutants.

I loved the introduction of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch as reluctant followers of Magneto feeling they own him for saving Wanda's life, but not agreeing with his violence towards humans. The introduction of Toad and Mastermind was nice as well, but they're much more typical evil characters.

It was fun to see Warren remark on Wanda's beauty here after seeing them together in a recent issue of X-Men First Class. I wonder if this is the issue where Jeff Parker got the idea for their romance.

The issue even ended with a cliffhanger for the first time. Xavier has lost his powers and the X-Men are left without a leader during their battles. It'll be fun to see the X-Men react to not having him as a saftey net for a while.

It was also funny to see how Stan and Jack weren't thinking very long term with their comics at this point. It's issue #4 and they've already stated that a year has passed since the X-Men first got together. I'm sure they both would have been shocked to know that so many of their creations, including the X-Men, are still going strong in 2007.

Thanks for your thoughts, Caney. I agreed with everything. #4 is definitely my favorite issue so far.

X-Men #4

1st Appearance: Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, the Toad, Mastermind (Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)

#4 begins with another session in the Danger Room, followed by cake to celebrate the X-Men's 1 year anniversary (as Caney noted.) Cyclops cuts the cake with his optic blast! We then shift to another scene, meeting the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants! -Toad, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Mastermind. They are all eating a meal, and begin quarreling amongst themselves.

At that moment, Magneto steals a freighter, and Angel flies by and spots the freighter being whisked away. Warren reports it to Professor X. Back at Magneto's hideout, he confronts his evil mutants for arguing. He reminds Wanda of the debt she owes him. We then see a flashback in a European village, as a younger Wanda is being chased by superstitious villagers. Magneto swoops in and saves her.

Magneto's plan gets underway as he uses the freighter to shell the tiny island of Santo Marcos. Xavier mentally confronts Magneto on the astral plane (they appear to be floating above the Earth!) . Mags offers Xavier to join him to rule the world. But Charles rejects it, saying he wants to build a golden age with mutants and humans. Magneto announces forevermore, they are mortal foes!

Magneto and the Brotherhood storm Santo Marco, using their mutant powers to overwhelm the army and frighten the people. They conquer the island and Magneto becomes ruler!! Eventually, Charles and the X-Men pose as good-will visitors and drive into Santo Marco. The X-Men leap into uniforms and attack Magneto's castle. They do battle with the Brotherhood, and Magneto smells defeat. He sets up a nuclear bomb which will blow up Santo Marco and the X-Men!!! As the X-Men approach the castle door, another bomb ready to detonate is sensed by Charles, who leaps out of his wheelchair to save the X-Men. Charles take the brunt of the attack, which leaves him delirious. As the X-Men smash into the castle, Quicksilver runs lightning fast and disables the nuclear bomb, his conscience unable to allow Magneto to kill millions of people. The Brotherhood escape in their freighter, but Charles Xavier is left weakened and his mutant mental power deadened by the blast. The X-Men ponder whether they can continue without Xavier's guidance.

My thoughts: Like Caney, this is my favorite issue so far. Lots of action, and meeting Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch was fun to read. Magneto taking over an island-nation was interesting to read, his castle resembles Doctor Doom's. His plan to detonate a nuclear bomb just shows how ruthless this guy REALLY is! I can't wait for the rematch with X-Men and the Brotherhood.
    Last edited by david r; 10-25-2007 at 06:15 PM.