Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Uh, not really. He left DC to go to CrossGen. Most of Chuck's bat-run, the EIC was Denny O'Neil, and Chuck and Denny got along fine.
    No, really. I doubt it was the only reason but Dixon has many times mentioned dis-satisfaction with how his plans for Robin were shot down. Even brings it up in the interview about returning to the title:
    "That and the fact that my ambitious plans leading up to, and past Robin #100, got shot down in flames convinced me to leave DC entirely for CrossGen"

I'm just hoping that this time around they just stay back and let Dixon write some damn good comics.

Always liked Dixon. Rarely a story I dislike from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Balac View Post
    No, really. I doubt it was the only reason but Dixon has many times mentioned dis-satisfaction with how his plans for Robin were shot down. Even brings it up in the interview about returning to the title:
    "That and the fact that my ambitious plans leading up to, and past Robin #100, got shot down in flames convinced me to leave DC entirely for CrossGen"
    It's certainly true that there was some conflict at the end. (I think O'Neil may have retired by that point.) I believe Chuck is alluding here to his plan (short term, of course) to turn Tim into a new Blue Beetle and Stephanie into a new Robin. Later on DC stole part of that idea but kind of perverted it.

I'm just hoping that this time around they just stay back and let Dixon write some damn good comics.
    At Marvel & DC, you always have to write within the confines of editorial direction. It's a fact of life. Chuck has dealt with it in the past and will deal with it in the future.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Looks like I might be getting Robin again. I'd so totally given up that I was barely even scanning for comics news anymore.

I think that I hope Stephanie comes back. I'm not a fan of contrived resurrections, but her death left such a bad taste in my mouth for all of the Bat-comics that I dropped 'em all. (The storylines sucking helped a lot.) So while I fear that it'd be hackneyed and obvious (resurrections have happened so often, what hasn't been done?), I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to overlook that.

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Prodigal Father: Chuck Dixon Returns to “Robin"

Chuck Dixon, the writer who principally defined Tim Drake in the '90s, returns to “Robin” in 2008 and told CBR News he wouldn’t mind matching his previous run on the book -- which lasted 100 issues.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=11936

what I like most about this is that Dixon doesn't appear to be hell bent on casting aside whats happened since his departure (see claremont with his return to x-men) and instead just developing from where Robin is at now. Of course he'll bring back some of his favorite characters from his run, but that is to be expected.

This seems to be good news so far. (I love the fake spoiler death proposed on this board, if I was writing this book I would take that idea and run with it)

Wheres my invisible Tiger Spiffy's Avatar

Good lord.

We also see the return of an old friend, a villain we haven't seen in a few years and there's also a big change in Robin's status with the Gotham City Police Department.
    It annoys the crap out of me that this sounds like Cassandra Cain being referred to as "a villain". Unless that comma means that two different people are being referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    It annoys the crap out of me that this sounds like Cassandra Cain being referred to as "a villain". Unless that comma means that two different people are being referred to.
    I'm roughly 95% sure that's a list a three different things we'll see:

a) return of an old friend
    b) villain we haven't seen in a while
    c) a big change in Robin's status with the police

And in any case, given that she shows up about four issues ago in Robin, I don't think she'd count as someone we haven't seen in a while, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Nowack View Post
    I'm roughly 95% sure that's a list a three different things we'll see:

a) return of an old friend
    b) villain we haven't seen in a while
    c) a big change in Robin's status with the police

And in any case, given that she shows up about four issues ago in Robin, I don't think she'd count as someone we haven't seen in a while, in any case.
    a) probably Ari as has been guessed by a lot of people. Not really sure anyone else had enough face time to be remembered.
    b) has to be King Snake.
    c) Chuck pretty much said that it's going to get more intense(harder for him to deal with the police)

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

I'll definitely check out the first couple of issues, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. The first few years of Chuck's Robin are some of my favorite comics, but to be honest, I was getting pretty burned out on the series by the end of the '90s.

Chuck's worst may be equal to or better than Willingham or Beechen's best (as far as Robin stories, that is), but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll like them.

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

Chuck Dixon liked the setup of Tim having to work around his father, he thought it added tension.

So my guess is Tim's stepmother is coming back, to have an adult around to put on the brakes.
    Corrina Lawson: Writer, Mom, Geek & Superhero.

Phoenix Rising, a superhero adventure, coming in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    I'll definitely check out the first couple of issues, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. The first few years of Chuck's Robin are some of my favorite comics, but to be honest, I was getting pretty burned out on the series by the end of the '90s.
    Chuck's early issues were among my favorite comics as well. And I also agree that Chuck himself was getting burnt out at the end (on all three bat-books, to be honest). I think he pretty much recognizes this himself. But it's been years now, so I can't help it; my hopes are high.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

It looks like I'm one of the few people who isn't excited by the news. I'm not a fan of Dixon's writing in general, and while I didn't mind the first couple of years of Robin, I found my interest in the book waned pretty quicky, especially after the departure of Mike Weiringo. It occurred to me when Weiringo left that it was him, Jiminez and Grummet that kept me buying the book more than Dixon.

Plus, I'm one of the few people that's actually enjoyed Beechan's run on the series.

Still, the seems to be good news for most of the Robin fans here. I probably won't be sticking around to read it, but I hope it lives up to all of your expectations.

that a re good news for me. Liked his run on Robin the most, so i hope it will be triumphal return :)