Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    Wolverine dies. It's been made clear that Aveda Kedavra is basically magic saying "fuck biology, you're already dead". The healing factor is going to be a non-factor.
    I'd like to believe that... but on the other hand, the modern Wolverine healing factor would reply, "shut up, I'm Wolverine". And he would get back up and take out his anger over being killed (it's such a hassle) on a few Death Eaters.
    Okay, okay, I give.

So... to be sane is to be of quiet mind...

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    Wolverine dies. It's been made clear that Aveda Kedavra is basically magic saying "fuck biology, you're already dead". The healing factor is going to be a non-factor.
    Scribble the Leviathan, Scrawl the Elder Air Elemental, Scroll the Ifriti King, Sketch the Dryad Queen, Sign the Titan

Awesome Award

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    Yep...given that his afterlife battle thingie appears to be just as magic-based as AK, I see no reason that it wouldn't work. He would die, after all.
    WTF? You're not kidding, Wolverine actually does fight Death or something everytime he dies? He's Simon-Fucking-Belmont now?
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

It's not Death exactly. It's like...some dude Wolverine killed centuries ago or some crap like that. If he wins, he comes back to life, if he loses he actually dies.

And of course he never loses. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Does Voldy come back from looking like Shredded Wheat?
    He actually would.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

I'm really really really hoping someone at marvel retcons that in the near future...and the whole thing with Sabretooth but that's another matter. It's a shame because aside from the godverine moment and the art it was a really fun story arc.

Back on topic yeah Wolvie dies, says hi to Jean and his other 3 billion exes and crushes, fights his afterlife battle, comes back and still has time for lunch, an Avengers mission, the daily mansion destruction and a late dinner.

Toons For Our Times Chris Heide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Back on topic yeah Wolvie dies, says hi to Jean
    Is it Jean or is it Rose? Or is Jean Rose reincarnated? I just don't know any more...

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Avada Kedavra just seems to wipe life from the body; all those have been hit with it have been described as; "perfectly healthy apart from being dead,"
    But that was the conclusion of ordinary Muggle coroners, wasn't it? The spell could still have a simple and physical effect--maybe it shuts down all electrical impulses in the central nervous system for thirty seconds, or blocks all phosphorylation, or something like that. There are lots of options for subtle, medically-inexplicable types of damage which would make life impossible for an ordinary human but couldn't put down Wolverine.

Another point against it being a soul rip--hit a phoenix with it and they're reborn as usual.
    Why SMvsFL is SMvsFLed:

"Nobody...not even a former herald of Galactus...could have survived that explosion! It totalled over a square block of abandoned housing!"

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconDream View Post
    But that was the conclusion of ordinary Muggle coroners, wasn't it? The spell could still have a simple and physical effect--maybe it shuts down all electrical impulses in the central nervous system for thirty seconds, or blocks all phosphorylation, or something like that. There are lots of options for subtle, medically-inexplicable types of damage which would make life impossible for an ordinary human but couldn't put down Wolverine.

Another point against it being a soul rip--hit a phoenix with it and they're reborn as usual.
    What about when Harry survives it the second time, in the last book? It kills the bit of Voldemort inside Harry, and knocks Harry into King's Cross dreamworld, but he comes to moments later without bodily harm.

Also note that at the time, Voldemort was using the Elder Wand, which already "belonged" to Harry and wouldn't harm him. How could the Wand have killed just the bit of Voldemort's soul inside Harry, and spared Harry himself, with a purely body-targeting mechanism?
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."

There's also the fact that, as I understood it, Voldemort had accidentally made himself into a horcrux for Harry. Which would have made him immune to Avada Kedavra, anyway - at least, the way it was implied to work from OotP onwards (Dumbledore not trying the Killing Curse on Voldemort because he knew of the horcruxes).
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall
    set me free.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthaur View Post
    There's also the fact that, as I understood it, Voldemort had accidentally made himself into a horcrux for Harry. Which would have made him immune to Avada Kedavra, anyway - at least, the way it was implied to work from OotP onwards (Dumbledore not trying the Killing Curse on Voldemort because he knew of the horcruxes).
    I think that Harry was only protected from an Avada Kedavra cast by Voldemort himself, possibly only if Harry did not try to defend himself from it. The mechanics of the magic connecting Harry and Voldemort became so complicated by the end that even Dumbledore's explanations were speculative at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoShogun_Zero
    So, Prince Adam of Eternia AND Skeletor are Scott's uncle's baby's cousin's Great Grandma's therapist's sewer plumber's nephews.

Quote Originally Posted by MKTerra View Post
    What about when Harry survives it the second time, in the last book? It kills the bit of Voldemort inside Harry, and knocks Harry into King's Cross dreamworld, but he comes to moments later without bodily harm.

Also note that at the time, Voldemort was using the Elder Wand, which already "belonged" to Harry and wouldn't harm him. How could the Wand have killed just the bit of Voldemort's soul inside Harry, and spared Harry himself, with a purely body-targeting mechanism?
    Apparently it didn't fully spare him, since it at least put him into a near-death state.

According to Secrets of the Darkest Art, the soul-fragment in a horcrux is unusual in that it actually gets destroyed when the horcrux is wrecked, whereas normally killing one's physical form liberates the soul without damaging it. So, conceivably, Harry's various defenses meant that the AK did enough physical damage to destroy the soul fragment, but not quite enough to render Harry's body permanently uninhabitable by his own soul.
    Why SMvsFL is SMvsFLed:

"Nobody...not even a former herald of Galactus...could have survived that explosion! It totalled over a square block of abandoned housing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthaur View Post
    You mean in addition to Harry being an accidental horcrux for Voldemort, the vice versa also happened? I dunno...

Voldemort had horcruxes when his AK backfired the first time, but he still couldn't keep his body; It took him years to get a new one. So even if Harry had a horcrux in Voldemort, that alone wouldn't have let him keep his body.

Edit: Then again, that backfire actually destroyed Voldemort's body, so maybe that was unusual.

Also, I doubt Dumbledore would use the Killing Curse in any case. When explaining how to make horcruxes, Slughorn said splitting the soul was done "By an act of evil -- the supreme act of evil. By committing murder. Killing rips the soul apart" (Book 6 p498).
    Soap Operus

Hence the
    the way it was implied to work from OotP onwards
    Rowling made a point of Dumbledore not using AK in OotP, and how nobody had apparently asked why - and the explanation for it seemed to be the horcruxes.

So, eh.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall
    set me free.

Ninja Sports Emporium Your Imaginary Pal's Avatar

he blocks the curse with his claws.
    because he's just that good at what he does.