Page 116 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 1924
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toosie25 View Post
    and what of the other syms...?
    if i recall correctly scream killed Venom's original 4 other kids. They formed Hybrid. Eddie killed both Hybrid and Scream. Then the US govt took hybrid's dead body and seperating the symbiotes off them to create those military symbiotes in carnage USA. We also have that doctor who got one, Scorn.

The military guys werent killed, so one could assume that team and Scorn are still around.

As to other symbiotes I only know of the one from X-Men Kingbreaker that the shiar have.

can we ever see a spider girl symbiote combo in the long run...?
    Last edited by Toosie25; 01-25-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    hey i am here what do you want from me....?

I just read ASM 654.1 or something like that (the one with Flash Thompson starting out as Venom) and I really enjoyed this issue. Is all of the Venom series like this issue?

Spectacular Spider-Fan ScarletSpiderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonrobz96 View Post
    I just read ASM 654.1 or something like that (the one with Flash Thompson starting out as Venom) and I really enjoyed this issue. Is all of the Venom series like this issue?
    Not quite. The actual series gets much, much darker. Some of the best issues probe Flash's relationship with his dad and others delve into their shared alcoholism. Remender said early on that he really wanted to explore the addicition aspect and see how a symbiote that basically feeds on negative emotions would react while bonded to an alcoholic, where negative emotions are an important part of that self-perpetuating cycle.

As opposed to being James-Bond-secret-agent-y, the book starts militaristically and tragically and eventually Flash becomes a true super-hero and then an Avenger.

On a spectrum: Amazing/Superior is the happy, fun book that *mostly* steers away from dark and tragic (recent Lizard stories being one exception); Scarlet Spider is a darker book, but it still keeps a sense of humor in the juxtaposition of super-serious Kaine to some of the admittedly ridiculous parts of the Marvel Universe; and Venom would be the darkest Spider-Family book, dealing with some very serious issues on a regular basis (although Bunn's recent story-lines have disappointed me).

TL;DR - Venom is a very, very, very good book that I feel drops in quality somewhere in the 20's. Still a usually good read. But no, I would say it's not like ASM 654.1, in that the tone and subject matter become more serious. I would suggest reading the first few issues and the Road Trip story (#10-12) to get a pretty good feel of it. Venom 22 is good as well, and got a lot of praise on its release.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSpiderFan View Post
    Not quite. The actual series gets much, much darker. Some of the best issues probe Flash's relationship with his dad and others delve into their shared alcoholism. Remender said early on that he really wanted to explore the addicition aspect and see how a symbiote that basically feeds on negative emotions would react while bonded to an alcoholic, where negative emotions are an important part of that self-perpetuating cycle.

As opposed to being James-Bond-secret-agent-y, the book starts militaristically and tragically and eventually Flash becomes a true super-hero and then an Avenger.

On a spectrum: Amazing/Superior is the happy, fun book that *mostly* steers away from dark and tragic (recent Lizard stories being one exception); Scarlet Spider is a darker book, but it still keeps a sense of humor in the juxtaposition of super-serious Kaine to some of the admittedly ridiculous parts of the Marvel Universe; and Venom would be the darkest Spider-Family book, dealing with some very serious issues on a regular basis (although Bunn's recent story-lines have disappointed me).

TL;DR - Venom is a very, very, very good book that I feel drops in quality somewhere in the 20's. Still a usually good read. But no, I would say it's not like ASM 654.1, in that the tone and subject matter become more serious. I would suggest reading the first few issues and the Road Trip story (#10-12) to get a pretty good feel of it. Venom 22 is good as well, and got a lot of praise on its release.
    That sounds like it could be a pretty cool book. I think I'm gonna have to check it out.
    Last edited by jonrobz96; 02-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Trying to find this one book I read awhile back. It involves spiderman going to visit the Fantastic four and asking if they are recruiting. they tell him the team is more like a family so he goes off into the city and bumps into Daredevil on top of a building. DD questions him how old he is and peter lies. and DD makes him answer again and tells him at 16 he shouldnt be doing what he is doing. he should be in school. which book was this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman25 View Post
    Trying to find this one book I read awhile back. It involves spiderman going to visit the Fantastic four and asking if they are recruiting. they tell him the team is more like a family so he goes off into the city and bumps into Daredevil on top of a building. DD questions him how old he is and peter lies. and DD makes him answer again and tells him at 16 he shouldnt be doing what he is doing. he should be in school. which book was this ?
    I think it's Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1. It was reprinted in Ultimate Spider-Man #150, as well as the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up hardcover.

It also featured appearances by Blade and Elektra, and art by dozens of comic book creators.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think it's Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1. It was reprinted in Ultimate Spider-Man #150, as well as the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up hardcover.

It also featured appearances by Blade and Elektra, and art by dozens of comic book creators.
    Yeah that was it thanks. Its funny how elektra just stabbed him like that and then took off. guessing she got the job done. Who ever sent her probably just needed a sample of his DNA. even though she was targetting someone else to begin with. I just liked the part when he was on the Roof with DD. Its one of those times where you read something and your feeling the moment in your head and you gotta go back and look over it some more cause it interests you.

I'm to the point now that I have to search for Spidey stuff that I haven't read. One title I haven't heard anything about is Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man. Was this a decent title? I think it's the only ongoing that I don't own because I hadn't seen it until recently. The issues are cheap enough. Is it pretty good? I'm running out of Spidey to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I'm to the point now that I have to search for Spidey stuff that I haven't read. One title I haven't heard anything about is Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man. Was this a decent title? I think it's the only ongoing that I don't own because I hadn't seen it until recently. The issues are cheap enough. Is it pretty good? I'm running out of Spidey to read.
    It's an anthology, so it varied from arc to arc.

Issues 1-3 were a Mysterio tale by JMDematteis and Michael Zulli, set between Amazing Spider-Man #38 and 39. I liked it, but the art may be off-putting.

Issues 4-6 tied up a cliffhanger from Silver Surfer #18, when he vowed to destroy humanity. I didn't really care for it.

Issues 7-9 featured Joe Kelly's take on Spidey's prom and the Sandman. I liked it.

Issues 10-12 were Paul Jenkins's tryout for Peter Parker Spider-Man, as he brought back the Chameleon. Good arc, with great art by Sean Phillips and JG Jones.

Issues 13-14 were by Howard Mackie, introducing the short-lived Spider-Man Unlimited TV show costume. It's not worth hunting down.

Issues 15-16 were a solid Vulture two-parter.

Issues 17-18 were a good two-parter by Defalco and Frenz set during the tail end of their Amazing Spider-Man run, with appearances by Silver Sable, the Sinister Syndicate and an A-list spider-foe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

It's an anthology, so it varied from arc to arc.

Issues 1-3 were a Mysterio tale by JMDematteis and Michael Zulli, set between Amazing Spider-Man #38 and 39. I liked it, but the art may be off-putting.

Issues 4-6 tied up a cliffhanger from Silver Surfer #18, when he vowed to destroy humanity. I didn't really care for it.

Issues 7-9 featured Joe Kelly's take on Spidey's prom and the Sandman. I liked it.

Issues 10-12 were Paul Jenkins's tryout for Peter Parker Spider-Man, as he brought back the Chameleon. Good arc, with great art by Sean Phillips and JG Jones.

Issues 13-14 were by Howard Mackie, introducing the short-lived Spider-Man Unlimited TV show costume. It's not worth hunting down.

Issues 15-16 were a solid Vulture two-parter.

Issues 17-18 were a good two-parter by Defalco and Frenz set during the tail end of their Amazing Spider-Man run, with appearances by Silver Sable, the Sinister Syndicate and an A-list spider-foe.
    Thanks for taking the time to break it down.

I asked this question awhile back, but don't believe it was ever answered:

Mac Gargan had scorpion DNA infused into his own during the experiment, but I don't recall ever seeing him use any of his scorpion powers without his costume. So, I was wondering...does Gargan really need his costume to actually utilize his powers? Or is it something that simply compliments his powers? I know he needs it for his stinger attacks and stuff. He just seems like a regular guy without the costume, but maybe that's because he feels more comfortable using his powers as the Scorpion only.
    "Remember that one time during the fight when it looked like you might actually win? No? Me neither." Spider-Man

whatever happened to mister negative...
    hey i am here what do you want from me....?

Quote Originally Posted by Toosie25 View Post
    whatever happened to mister negative...
    His identity was revealed right before Spider Island, and as Martin Li, he was taken into hiding by the Inner Demons.

He hasn't been seen since.

This happened in a two-parter in Amazing Spider-Man #663-664.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Spectacular Spider-Fan ScarletSpiderFan's Avatar

His identity was revealed right before Spider Island, and as Martin Li, he was taken into hiding by the Inner Demons.

He hasn't been seen since.

This happened in a two-parter in Amazing Spider-Man #663-664.
    Slott said Mr. Negative will appear in Superior as well.