Page 267 of 309 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 4632

Hey look! A character defeats someone that clearly outclassed him/her because Feelings and Friendship!

What are the odds?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I am kind of glad I stopped caring about Fairy Tail because this is just getting silly...

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    At this point, why am I even entertaining the notion of Erza losing clean to anybody?
    Indeed. It's almost as awful as Ikaruga.

Almost.

Not quite, but almost.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Indeed. It's almost as awful as Ikaruga.

Almost.

Not quite, but almost.
    It's a bit worse I'd say. With Ikaruga you could at least say that she had a glass jaw. Kagura on the other hand has been shown to be able to tank shit just as well as Erza so that excuse just goes out the window.

RITA's punching bag nervmeister's Avatar

I knew Minerva would pull something like this. She's like Raven Tail, only she's as underhanded as the rules will allow.
    Declared a king among men by Black atom: 5/11/07
    Given a cool award, an awesome award, and the keys to the internet: 11/8/06
    Won thread:5/15/07
    Won a cool award: 6/28/07
    Won post of the year: 7/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by DABishop View Post
    In addition to having the worst life ever, having everyone he meets get brutally raped and/or killed, and being constantly hunted by demons, Guts also has the world's ugliest baby.

Congrats Guts, your life sucks.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It's a bit worse I'd say. With Ikaruga you could at least say that she had a glass jaw. Kagura on the other hand has been shown to be able to tank shit just as well as Erza so that excuse just goes out the window.
    Friendship will always overcome, no matter how detrimental it is for the narrative.

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

At this point, why am I even entertaining the notion of Erza losing clean to anybody?
    Erza Scarlet is like the Triple H of this manga.

Friendship will always overcome, no matter how detrimental it is for the narrative.
    It feels so cheap. I mean, I love these characters so much and that's why I continue reading the manga in spite of the flawed storytelling. It just saddens me because it is such a great disservice to them.

Also: Does anyone find it odd that the character who can almost literally pull things out of her ass ALWAYS seems to do her asspulls by wearing the nonmagical baggy pants + sarashi get-up? Seriously. When's the last time she beat a challenging opponent with an actual armor on? She beat Ikaruga like this, beat Azuma like this, beat the 100 monsters like this, and now fought like that here. For someone who was introduced with the specialty of magic arms and armor, she sure goes through fights finding out her armors are worthless, and just uses plain swordsmanship in the end.

At least Elfman whipped out an awesome new power for *his* fight. And even Natsu gets contrived power-ups. Erza just does it.
    Last edited by Sound Silence; 01-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.

RITA's punching bag nervmeister's Avatar

Yeah. Kagura should've won this one. And it would've been more interesting to see Erza lose and get a nice dose of character development from the experience of losing for once. Maybe even establish sort of a Zoro/Mihawk-like relationship with Kagura. But noooooooooo. Erza just HAD to pull a "Hulk Hogan" again and win against all odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    Okay. Not exactly the same as my reference, but now I have an amusing image in my head of Erza groin-shotting Minerva with a sledgehammer.
    Last edited by nervmeister; 01-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Declared a king among men by Black atom: 5/11/07
    Given a cool award, an awesome award, and the keys to the internet: 11/8/06
    Won thread:5/15/07
    Won a cool award: 6/28/07
    Won post of the year: 7/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by DABishop View Post
    In addition to having the worst life ever, having everyone he meets get brutally raped and/or killed, and being constantly hunted by demons, Guts also has the world's ugliest baby.

Congrats Guts, your life sucks.

Also: Does anyone find it odd that the character who can almost literally pull things out of her ass ALWAYS seems to do her asspulls by wearing the nonmagical baggy pants + sarashi get-up? Seriously. When's the last time she beat a challenging opponent with an actual armor on? She beat Ikaruga like this, beat Azuma like this, beat the 100 monsters like this, and now fought like that here. For someone who was introduced with the specialty of magic arms and armor, she sure goes through fights finding out her armors are worthless, and just uses plain swordsmanship in the end.
    If I'm not mistaken the first time she whipped out that armor they explicitly stated it was her hail mary armor, its the one that sacrifices all of her defense and esoteric armor powers and puts it into attack/speed. So I can kinda understand why she can do some of the crazy baddass stuff with that armor cause she's getting rid of everything else but I'm gonna cut you in half power.

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nervmeister View Post
    Yeah. Kagura should've won this one. And it would've been more interesting to see Erza lose and get a nice dose of character development from the experience of losing for once. Maybe even establish sort of a Zoro/Mihawk-like relationship with Kagura. But noooooooooo. Erza just HAD to pull a "Hulk Hogan" again and win against all odds.
    Oh, Natsu is the major offender for hulking up in this manga. I mean, when he has one of his "I'm all fired up" moments, you can practically hear Real American in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the first time she whipped out that armor they explicitly stated it was her hail mary armor, its the one that sacrifices all of her defense and esoteric armor powers and puts it into attack/speed. So I can kinda understand why she can do some of the crazy baddass stuff with that armor cause she's getting rid of everything else but I'm gonna cut you in half power.
    Yeah. And I mean, that was relevant against Ikaruga, but, in some of these cases (and especially right now), having some esoteric abilities would be necessary. She isn't beating Minerva with straight swordery. Really, she probably could have beaten Kagura easier my focusing on other aspects of her armors rather than trying to straight up duel Kagura (who has showed fewer options outside her ridiculous swordplay).

If Erza would have won that way, it'd be a lot less problematic.
    Last edited by Sound Silence; 01-18-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Yeah. And I mean, that was relevant against Ikaruga, but, in some of these cases (and especially right now), having some esoteric abilities would be necessary. She isn't beating Minerva with straight swordery. Really, she probably could have beaten Kagura easier my focusing on other aspects of her armors rather than trying to straight up duel Kagura (who has showed fewer options outside her ridiculous swordplay).

Well I guess I don't see it that way. I see it as Opponent has X power and Erza has I don't give a fuck about X power I'm cutting you in half power.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Err... no. Ikaruga straight up said that she couldn't feel any magic in it, and Erza said it was just fabric in response.

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

It feels so cheap. I mean, I love these characters so much and that's why I continue reading the manga in spite of the flawed storytelling. It just saddens me because it is such a great disservice to them.

At least Elfman whipped out an awesome new power for *his* fight. And even Natsu gets contrived power-ups. Erza just does it.
    naw. more like erza is the john cena of the manga: the only thing she sells is merch.
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

I would like it if Erza's armors had more distinct abilities, beyond elemental resistance and energy blasts, that she could use cleverly along with her awesome raw power and skill to defeat her opponents rather than just over-powering them when she really shouldn't be able to.

It's times like this that makes me wonder how these developments are recieved by fans in Japan, the people that most likely send fan-mail directly to the author and magazine.

I don't mind Erza winning per se, but this fight reeeaaally needed some more of them duking it out evenly before the last slash. Ending it in a one-shot comeback was anticlimactic as hell.
    Last edited by MKTerra; 01-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

the way i saw it(i'm generous with this kind of thing) is that Erza didn't block the slash, she parried it