Default Jack Kirby Article in the NY Times Today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/op...lly Remembered

The fear of being forgotten after death is endemic in the creative arts. In the case of the iconic comic book artist Jack Kirby, it happened while he was still alive. By the 1960s, Mr. Kirby had already revolutionized the comic book business more than once. Working as principal artist and in-house genius for Marvel, he created a voice and an aesthetic unmatched by any other company.

Marvel took his talents for granted and denied him the credit and compensation he clearly deserved. Worse, he was overshadowed by his loquacious and photogenic collaborator, Stan Lee, who became the public face of an enterprise that depended heavily on Mr. Kirby’s skills.

Mr. Kirby eventually quit, leaving behind characters like the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the Silver Surfer, and ending what was easily the most fruitful collaboration in comic book history. His long and ugly battle with Marvel over the rights to his original artwork galvanized the artistic community and raised his public profile
    My dad called me because of this article "the Times had an article about comics!'

Any idea why they're printing old news?
    What WERE They Thinking?
    Updated Monday-Friday

"My G-d, guard my tongue from evil, and my lips from speaking deceitfully" (Psalm 34:14).

My comic stash

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

It seems like it's at least partly because of the new Marvel Comics stamps.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

On a throne atop a mountain of lesser men.

Is that what prompted the BBC "In Search of Steve Ditko" documentary, where they also vaguely mention the many face of Stan Lee?
    Go !@#$ yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac View Post
    Is that what prompted the BBC "In Search of Steve Ditko" documentary, where they also vaguely mention the many face of Stan Lee?
    The BBC doc was a personal project of Jonathon Ross, who is a lifelong comic book fan, and especially a Ditko fan. He is known besides for his big and rich reporter contract for his huge comic book collection.

When does that air, or has it already?

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Al View Post
    When does that air, or has it already?
    It's slated for September 18th. Hopefully you have some sweet satellite tv.

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    It's slated for September 18th. Hopefully you have some sweet satellite tv.
    More like crappy, overpriced Time-Warner cable. I guess that means they won't show it on BBC-A?

With interest in Mr. Kirby growing — and his characters already marching across the screen — a movie of his life is clearly in order.
    I agree with this, I think a movie about Marvel's early days could be interesting to even non-comic fans if done right. Some might be amazed to see such a small group of people create today's huge franchises like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four and others.

of the CBR Illuminati! Sabrinaset's Avatar

Wasn't there a book similar to this .... Gerard Jones wrote it ... Men of Tomorrow, was that it?

No, it was Damon Albarn that kicked Jonny Ross up the arse to do a comics documentary. Albarn appeared on Rossy's chat show, with Jamie Hewlett & the conversation drifted to Tank Girl & Hewlett's Deadline days. Albarn then question Ross as to why, as someone who is well known to love comics, has never taken advantage of his position within the BBC (one of their high earners due to their popularity) and produce something about comics for the BBC.

What followed was a fairly vigourous debate between Ross & Albarn (with Hewlett sitting there looking a bit lost) where Albarn's point was 'well, you love comics, you're incredibly rich & influential in the BBC so what the bloody hell is stopping you?''; while Ross could only splutter vague non-answers before finally regaining control of the interview and moving it on.

A month or so later Ross said he was working on something for the BBC in relation to comics, so there you go.

Veteran Member

Good for Albarn, beacuse this doc sounds like somehting that really needed to be done, going by the few things I've read about it. And maybe someday somebody''ll do something about Kirby and how his legacy continues to be paid little more than lip service up to the present time.
    Last edited by berk; 08-27-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrinaset View Post
    Wasn't there a book similar to this .... Gerard Jones wrote it ... Men of Tomorrow, was that it?

No, Men of Tomorrow was about Harry Donenfeld and Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

A couple of years ago I wrote to the producers of the "American Masters" series on PBS to suggest that they devote an episode to Jack Kirby. A few others from the kirby-l list also wrote to them. None of us got any reply. Maybe it's time to write again.
    --
    Rob Allen

ALL FEAR SQUIRREL GIRL!! dougputhoff's Avatar

I found out from Mark Evanier's "NewsFromMe" blog that today (8-28) would've been Kirby's 90th birthday. Ironically, the "CBR" front page has no mention of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougputhoff View Post
    I found out from Mark Evanier's "NewsFromMe" blog that today (8-28) would've been Kirby's 90th birthday. Ironically, the "CBR" front page has no mention of it.
    In fairness, that's not really news by any stretch. A feature on Kirby would be nice, but that'd be nice any time.