Default Catching up with Catwoman

I let a lot of books sit around unread last year, so I've been doing my best to catch up with the "One Year Later" and beyond issues. Last night I got up to Catwoman #62.

What do/did you think about Selina being a mommy? I'm not so sure I like it. I was kinda bummed that it wasn't Bruce's, especially since her name was Helena. Do you think she'll be childless again after Final Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by sythspawn View Post
    I let a lot of books sit around unread last year, so I've been doing my best to catch up with the "One Year Later" and beyond issues. Last night I got up to Catwoman #62.

What do/did you think about Selina being a mommy? I'm not so sure I like it. I was kinda bummed that it wasn't Bruce's, especially since her name was Helena. Do you think she'll be childless again after Final Crisis?
    I didn't like it at all when I heard about the baby's birth, because I took it for granted it wouldn't last. So I felt sorry for Selina right away on that basis.

So do I think that after Final Crisis has come and gone, the baby will be nowhere in sight in Selina's ongoing adventures? Yep! I'm not sure if they'll officially "erase the baby from history" or just never mention her again one way or the other, however. I actually started a thread on this subject last week and we've already had some very spirited discussions about poor little Helena Kyle (who apparently is going to somehow be separated from her mother in "Catwoman #71") and about the problems of letting superheroes in general have babies. You might want to check it out! :)

New solicit: Does it mean Selina's baby is headed into limbo?

Giving CW a baby was obviously a gimmick, but I've thought these issues have been extremely well written. One of my favorite DC titles at the moment.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Wheres my invisible Tiger Spiffy's Avatar

My impression is that DC is going to pull the "Selina gives the baby away" card to explain this all. How she's so sure nobody will ever follow the dots, I don't know, but that seems to be the writing on the wall. She will, in agony, find an adoptive family for the kid and never look back, other than some dark moments when they need to angst her up in the next few years. Then, in about 5 years from now, when some writer is creatively bankrupt, they will age the kid up, implying the events where the adoption happened were much further in the past then they are, and make the kid into a villain, who Catwoman will have to fight (and then only later discover her true identity).

Mark my words, it will happen!!!

I read up to #67 last night. Now I need to buy the next three(?) issues. I noticed the baby slipping into the background of the story as things focus more on Holly being a bad Catwoman. Is anyone else annoyed at how flagrantly she blurts out Selina's name in 'public'? Then again, it seems like a lot of people already know her identity.

I'm guessing these events are going to lead into Holly's appearance in Countdown. I also noticed the solicitations make it sound like Selina will be returning to a life of crime. What do you think about that?

All I'm saying is that DC should have done what they did when Earth-2 versions of Superman and Lois Lane were married and they chronicles their adventures in the title of Mr. and Mrs. Superman, they should have done the same thing when the Earth-2 Batman married to the Earth-2 Catwoman and write their Adventures as Mr. and Mrs. Batman. :(

Man, it times like these that I feel like writing to DC about a lost opprotunity. :(

Quote Originally Posted by sythspawn View Post
    I also noticed the solicitations make it sound like Selina will be returning to a life of crime. What do you think about that?
    It does sound that way, doesn't it? Personally, I hope that doesn't happen. Besides, I don't know how you could reconcile that with her evident membership in the new Batman & the Outsiders.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I forgot about her being a new Outsider.

Maybe Holly will put on the catsuit again and there will be two running around?

I was disappointed from the get go because I knew it wouldn't last.

I've liked Selina the mommy but at the same time I've disliked it for a long time now. I hate the new suit, I miss the purple, and I REALLY miss Selina when she was a slick, smooth talking, fast acting bad ass who knew how to take care of herself in any situation. The woman who was able to out fight and out wit batman on any occasion, the master of the bull whip capable of flaying the flesh of a human body in less than a minute.

I've missed all that for awhile now, I'm hoping that at the least if Selina must lose the baby, maybe it will bring back the old Selina I loved so much. This new 'Catwoman the Mentor' just doesn't work for me.
    "A wise old owl lived in an Oak,
    The more he saw the less he spoke,
    The less he spoke the more he heard,
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
    "

If anyone thought that she was going to keep the baby and not return to crime, I'm sorry you fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zapper View Post
    If anyone thought that she was going to keep the baby and not return to crime, I'm sorry you fell for it.
    I sure hope you're right... But I also really hope that she returns to crime AND returns to the purple suit... Damned dorky F'in goggles...
    "A wise old owl lived in an Oak,
    The more he saw the less he spoke,
    The less he spoke the more he heard,
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
    "

Wheres my invisible Tiger Spiffy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiroptera View Post
    I sure hope you're right... But I also really hope that she returns to crime AND returns to the purple suit... Damned dorky F'in goggles...
    The setup here seems to be that Batman wants the world to believe that the Outsiders are terrorists and criminals. So Selina is probably selectively re-establishing her credit as a thief at his bidding. Batsy hasn't bad black and white morality for about 30 years, so this makes perfect sense.