Page 3 of 331 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneur View Post
    I'd stick her with Ellis since he's probably going to get Nightcrawler and keep Scott and Emma so there is more history for her there. Also, if Kitty dies then it'd serve to replace her in the role of the anti-Emma chick which is almost a requisite these days and if Kitty doesn't die, well then there's even more of a reunion factor. He also seems to be aiming for something more edgy and less retro, which would suit Rachel way more than Brubaker.
    I'd crap myself if that happened... like the perfect union of Davis/Ellis-era Excalibur and Morrison-era X-Men. Throw in Xaiver and let's par-tay!

No opinion on Cornell since I haven't read his stuff.
    Say what?!? Bend over, it's time for yr spanking!

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
    Throw in Xaiver and let's par-tay!
    I wouldn't want Xavier as a part of the main cast, I liked the independence the X-men have gained over the term of Morrison's and Whedon's runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    Say what?!? Bend over, it's time for yr spanking!
    Oooh, yes please. *drops pants and bends over for spanking*
    "All things are precipitated by the nature of existence. Nothing, therefore, is unnatural be it bee-hive or termite mound or all our shining, poisoned cities." - Promethea #31

Quote Originally Posted by kate-pryde View Post
    I'd prefer Rachel to be in Carey's book, whatever that is. My guess that it's going to be X-Force, and the sort of young rebels of the X-Men, so that would work for her.
    Along with Rogue, Kurt and Cable, and I'd def go for it! Add in James, Sam, Bobby and Pagie and you've got my Carey dream team! :D

Maybe eventually she could turn up in Astonishing (I hope that there are more guest appearances by the rest of the X-Men in Ellis' run), but I'm hoping Carey can rehab her character first. Although I would like Rachel to still be best friends with Kitty, I'd rather not have Astonishing be more of Rachel vs Emma.
    Well, I think Ellis would handle it differently, at least from the stock bratty bickering we've seen previously from Astonishing Kitty and Uncanny Rachel.

What I'd really like to see is an inversion of the relationship Jean and Emma had under Morrison. Have Emma as the established, threatened second in command and Rachel as the the fresh, inventive, hot new thing. You could have Scott filling in Xaiver's role too, deferring and relying on Ray more and more, much to Emma's objection and distrust. As we've seen from the Askani period, Rachel's pretty clever and has huge leadership potential... it could be great.

I wouldn't want Xavier as a part of the main cast, I liked the independence the X-men have gained over the term of Morrison's and Whedon's runs.
    I know, I just miss the smart, progressive, intelligent Xaiver we had to the deceptive, bumbling, brooding Xaiver we've got today. Can Morrison come back yet? :(

Oooh, yes please. *drops pants and bends over for spanking*
    *grabs chain*

Along with Rogue, Kurt and Cable, and I'd def go for it! Add in James, Sam, Bobby and Pagie and you've got my Carey dream team! :D
    To be honest I wouldn't want Nate and Rachel on the same team, I feel the development of their familial bond would simply be lessened by the more general focus of a team book. Plus their skills are pretty much the same - apart from guns, so you'd need more focus to differentiate them. It'd work much better if Rachel guest starred in a Cable book for example.
    What I'd really like to see is an inversion of the relationship Jean and Emma had under Morrison. Have Emma as the established, threatened second in command and Rachel as the the fresh, inventive, hot new thing. You could have Scott filling in Xaiver's role too, deferring and relying on Ray more and more, much to Emma's objection and distrust. As we've seen from the Askani period, Rachel's pretty clever and has huge leadership potential... it could be great.
    I'd see Rachel more as a loner than a leader atm, almost like X-23 or Wolverine. If spun subtly the tension could grow instead from the fact that Emma as a commander can only really order Rachel to do things she herself could do but Rachel is more adept at, every command from Emma would be a slap to her own self-esteem.
    I know, I just miss the smart, progressive, intelligent Xaiver we had to the deceptive, bumbling, brooding Xaiver we've got today. Can Morrison come back yet?
    Blame the editors for denying us our Morrison.:p
    *grabs chain*
    *moans in excitement*
    "All things are precipitated by the nature of existence. Nothing, therefore, is unnatural be it bee-hive or termite mound or all our shining, poisoned cities." - Promethea #31

To be honest I wouldn't want Nate and Rachel on the same team, I feel the development of their familial bond would simply be lessened by the more general focus of a team book. Plus their skills are pretty much the same - apart from guns, so you'd need more focus to differentiate them. It'd work much better if Rachel guest starred in a Cable book for example.
    I dunno, Nate's still headblind and his newly restored teke is no doubt a bit limited by comparison. I think they'd still serve pretty different functions within that lineup. Carey's great at exploting complicated interpersonal connections and histories though, all logically within the framework of the plot even.... seriously, pick up the Supernovas hardcover, you won't be dissapointed.

I'd see Rachel more as a loner than a leader atm, almost like X-23 or Wolverine. If spun subtly the tension could grow instead from the fact that Emma as a commander can only really order Rachel to do things she herself could do but Rachel is more adept at, every command from Emma would be a slap to her own self-esteem.
    I could see that also... one thing I did like from Chasing Hellfire was Claremont attempting to re-establish the Emma/Rachel dynamic as that of potential teacher/student (even if the actual handling left a lot to be desired)... Ellis could exploit that wonderfully, maybe even bringing new tension between Kitty and Ray.

Blame the editors for denying us our Morrison.:p
    I blame that fatty EIC.... uh, chiefly. :evilangry

*moans in excitement*
    cum ninja strikes again!

...but, I think you meant to say *bleeds in excitement*... doesn't matter though, it's asphyxiation time now.

I dunno, Nate's still headblind and his newly restored teke is no doubt a bit limited by comparison. I think they'd still serve pretty different functions within that lineup. Carey's great at exploting complicated interpersonal connections and histories though, all logically within the framework of the plot even.... seriously, pick up the Supernovas hardcover, you won't be dissapointed.
    I've got Supernovas and while I don't doubt Carey, I would rather any interaction Nate and Rachel have be very solid so that succeeding writers can't pretend it didn't happen. As it stands, even what has been established with the Askani, Weinberg run, select issues of 80s UXM and Excal and that issue in C&D it still seems to get side lined. If they were in the same team for a while and the relationship wasn't focused on ... well I dread how other writers might interpret that.

I could see that also... one thing I did like from Chasing Hellfire was Claremont attempting to re-establish the Emma/Rachel dynamic as that of potential teacher/student (even if the actual handling left a lot to be desired)... Ellis could exploit that wonderfully, maybe even bringing new tension between Kitty and Ray.
    Regarding Kitty/Rachel; there is already a foundation for tension there, she's felt out-classed physically by Rachel for yonks and Emma is certainly more sexual than she'd ever be so there's alot of room there to have Kitty's insecurities explored.

I blame that fatty EIC.... uh, chiefly. :evilangry
    We'll kidnap him for six months and feed him nothing but Taco Bell, if the McDonalds diet was any indications we should have a very pliant EiC on our hands afterward.

cum ninja strikes again!

...but, I think you meant to say *bleeds in excitement*... doesn't matter though, it's asphyxiation time now.
    Haha, cum ninja.:p

And why does this make me think of a Nine Inch Nails song:p

*asphyxiates with poise and intense arousal*

Lorna Lehnsherr

I heart Rachel dearly.

I'm super excited she and Lorna will be getting drunk together in X-Men:EV
    *Sigh of relief* Just checked, and yep... Polaris is still Magneto's daughter. Dodged another bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Rachel Summers is a very complicated character in that she comes from a dystopia Earth ruled by Sentinels on the verge of World War III with Europe; mutants are either killed outright, jailed in concentration camps within the United States, or, like Rachel herself, brainwashed, tortured, & branded with permanent facial tattoos to become Hounds. Living in the present alternate Earth reminds Rachel every day of her ghosts. Therefore, once she taps into her potential as Phoenix, Rachel overcompensates by literally almost destroying the universe to kill the Beyonder in Uncanny X-Men #202-203 by power given to her by the Beyonder himself, she goes recklessly into battle with Freedom Force only to be taken out by Spiral in Uncanny X-Men #206 then culminates in Rachel's attempted murder of Selene, the Hellfire Club's Black Queen, trying to silence Phoenix's ghosts, in Uncanny X-Men #207 to only be mortally wounded by her teammate Wolverine! This of course lead to both the Lords Cardinal & the X-Men to find Phoenix, but Spiral ended up with the prize. Uncanny X-Men #207-209 has so many unexpected twists & turns that the story remains compelling to reread over & over again.

Rachel Summers, as Phoenix, is one of my favorite characters because she is so different from the Jean Grey, Phoenix. I hope Marvel eventually comes to their senses to allow Rachel Summers to officially be Phoenix again.
    Thank you, DDM. Your opinion is worth ten times as much as your information. Which is pretty much invaluable.

Except maybe the hair thing. Where DID you get that from?

PS: this thread needz a poll.
    No, it really doesn't. One poll would only cover ONE aspect of Rachel. Which is far too little. It's been rolling pretty good without a poll so far.

Hurray! Ray has her own thread!
    You're welcome! I could no longer keep it bottled up inside, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaya Havoc View Post
    Oh man, but that issue was terrible. Women of Marvel 2 my eye!
    Every issue is someone's introduction. This one was mine. Still holds a special place in my heart. Rachel and Amara were both coping with a world that was so unlike the world they came from. And Selene trying to usurp Shaw every time was priceless.

Well, I think Ellis would handle it differently, at least from the stock bratty bickering we've seen previously from Astonishing Kitty and Uncanny Rachel.

I think it would be difficult to have two powerful, strong-willed telepaths like Emma & Rachel on the same team. Either Rachel becomes Emma Jr and starts becoming more like her, or there is more bickering between the two.

Since Emma knows exactly how to get under Rachel's skin and Rachel tends to let Emma get to her, most writers are going to keep going the cat fight route with Rachel & Emma. Especially when it comes to Rachel's relationship with Scott, which it's difficult for Emma not to be jealous of since it's going to remind her of Jean.

I would like to see Rachel start to become more of a leader. She was the one who brought Excalibur together. She certainly showed she was very capable leader during her time with the Askani, and Scott would be one who would want to bring that out of her. He knows what her potential is, but also understands that Rachel might need a little prodding to bring that potential out.

It all depends on what happens with after Messiah Complex. Maybe Rachel returns and gets upset about whatever happened and that spurs her on to try to make changes, maybe butting heads with Scott & Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I heart Rachel dearly.

I'm super excited she and Lorna will be getting drunk together in X-Men:EV
    I'm personally hoping they'll both kick some rump out there. All the focus Havok and his feud with Gabriel will be getting leaves me curious about the roles Rachel and Lorna are going to play. I'm not so keen on seeing that Korvus guy hanging around Rachel's neck...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    Where'd you get that from? She had no rat tail when she first came to the 616, but just before she went all Phoenix-y, she developed the rat-tail, which blossomed into her rancid Excalibur mullet. Seems like she had hair growth to me, she just kept it business up front, with the party in the back.
    In Uncanny X-Men #184, she is taken in by Nicholas Damiano, a club owner & entrepreneur; she looks in the mirror hoping her hair grows out in a vain attempt to escape Selene. Of course, Selene finds Rachel Summers & kills Nick Damiano.

Although Rachel's hair slightly grew out by the time she became Phoenix, it did remain spiked, giving her an androgynous appearance. I really think her Hound conditioning kept her hair short.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimend Mormel View Post
    I'm not so keen on seeing that Korvus guy hanging around Rachel's neck...
    Yea but think about it. It's going to be war and you gotta have casualties to make a war looks serious .. Korvus is practically wearing a t-shirt saying:"Kill me". Rachel and Nightcrawler, now that i would like to see happen ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Yea but think about it. It's going to be war and you gotta have casualties to make a war looks serious .. Korvus is practically wearing a t-shirt saying:"Kill me". Rachel and Nightcrawler, now that i would like to see happen ..
    I hope Korvus is the first casualty, which causes the drunken convos with Lorna and Rachel:

Lorna: What were you thinking with him?
    Rachel: I dunno. . . . he had a big sword?

Kurt and Rachel - Personally not a fan of that paring. I always see him as her "Fuzzy Elf" and uncle of sorts. If there was a time for her to be paired with him, I think Excalibur would have been the best time for that. I always thought a Rachel and Bobby pairing would be sweet, but where would that leave Sam? :p

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimend Mormel View Post
    I'm personally hoping they'll both kick some rump out there. All the focus Havok and his feud with Gabriel will be getting leaves me curious about the roles Rachel and Lorna are going to play. I'm not so keen on seeing that Korvus guy hanging around Rachel's neck...
    It's such a constructed thing. Wow both our families have been killed. We've both being agents of the government/empire that killed our families. We're both connected to a mystical force. Kiss me, no...yes.

Gah!