Default The Immaculate 300

**The Immaculate Conception wasn't the Holy Knock-Up, it was Mary getting conceived without original sin, to be pure enough to bear God's baby.

The older I get, the more Catholic theology resembles DC continuity.

**300 was a fun indulgence, but the point in both book and comic that aggravates me is the Spartans are so keen to die gloriously anyway; just stick the hunchback off to the side and let him stab a few Persians before he's killed. What, is it going to hinder you to have your flank covered? Silly Leonidas.
    "It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
    --Jonathan Swift

Hey look, I made a comic book.

More than one reviewer and blogger has observed that 300 seemed less like an accurate retelling of an historical event than it was an ultra right wing neo-conservative allegory for the US presence in Iraq. But I myself haven't seen the film, so I can't really say ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bh123 View Post
    More than one reviewer and blogger has observed that 300 seemed less like an accurate retelling of an historical event than it was an ultra right wing neo-conservative allegory for the US presence in Iraq. But I myself haven't seen the film, so I can't really say ;)
    I'm not saying it isn't true, as that's certainly one way the film can be read, but I don't really understand this view of the film. It's almost a line for line, shot for shot reproduction of the book, which was released two years before Bush was elected. It seems like the people who see the movie as allegory want to project their feelings onto the movie without it really being there.

Isn't it possible just to watch the movie as an over the top action flick, with a vaguely historical basis. I mean when the guy with axes for arms shows up, you know you're watching mostly fiction with a little bit of fact. Just look at it the same as any other movie that claims to be "Based on actual events."

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    **The Immaculate Conception wasn't the Holy Knock-Up, it was Mary getting conceived without original sin, to be pure enough to bear God's baby.

The older I get, the more Catholic theology resembles DC continuity.
    Yes, I screwed that up. Just another little bit of Catholism I shoved out of my head...

**300 was a fun indulgence, but the point in both book and comic that aggravates me is the Spartans are so keen to die gloriously anyway; just stick the hunchback off to the side and let him stab a few Persians before he's killed. What, is it going to hinder you to have your flank covered? Silly Leonidas.
    That's what I thought at the time: You dick! So he can't be in the phalanx, give him a special mission! What the hell's wrong with you?

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by goman View Post
    Isn't it possible just to watch the movie as an over the top action flick, with a vaguely historical basis.
    If it weren't so dull, maybe...

- Grant

Hollywood, CA -- Entertainment Capital of the World!

Quote Originally Posted by goman View Post
    It seems like the people who see the movie as allegory want to project their feelings onto the movie without it really being there.
    People were saying the last Star Wars movie was a Bush allegory, too. I think the issue is that this administration has shown so much classical hubris and arrogance, as well as being full of such failed policies that one could read any old-fashioned tragedy as being similar. I actually went to see a free Macbeth performance the other night and thought you could read into that as an allegorical tale, too, just as long as you cast Karl Rove as Lady Macbeth.

Really? I heard that's what he's planning on doing with his time once he retires from public life. I don't see it, though; I don't imagine blood on his hands would bother Rove in the slightest...

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    Really? I heard that's what he's planning on doing with his time once he retires from public life. I don't see it, though; I don't imagine blood on his hands would bother Rove in the slightest...
    At least in this case he'd be the one doing the killing himself, rather than getting other people to do his dirty work :p

No, he's apparently asking for a rewrite - and a New York Times reporter heard from a highly placed anonymous informant within the administration that it was Malcolm who killed the king...

- Grant

Hollywood, CA -- Entertainment Capital of the World!

Oh, I just meant I thought he would look good in a dress...

You poor, deranged bastard...

- Grant