Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Waid Brings the Ultimate Fanboy Back to "The Flash"

Lightning strikes twice for Mark Waid as the revered author returns to the series that made him famous, DC Comics' “The Flash,” running alongside Wally and the rest of the West family.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=11600

Well, that interview brought a smile to my face. This is going to be great.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Unhappy No mention of 'Ringo though

Kind of surprised. I think Mike was as much a part of Waid's early success on the Flash as Waid's writing was.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    Well, that interview brought a smile to my face. This is going to be great.
    "Sigh." Not for me, unfortunately.

Once again, DC baits, switches, and screws Barry Allen fans. And the sick, twisted thing is that they'll probably do it again and succeed again too.

Of course DC doesn't have to bring back Barry Allen. Why should they? If they did, they'd have nobody to dangle like a carrot before ever-hopeful and ever-gullible fans.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    "Sigh." Not for me, unfortunately.

Once again, DC baits, switches, and screws Barry Allen fans. And the sick, twisted thing is that they'll probably do it again and succeed again too.

Of course DC doesn't have to bring back Barry Allen. Why should they? If they did, they'd have nobody to dangle like a carrot before ever-hopeful and ever-gullible fans.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I kind of figured that this would be your reaction. I personally think that Barry should remain dead but I can definitely see where you're coming from. To me, the DCU just didn't feel like the DCU without Wally West running around and I assume you feel the same about Barry Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Geddlee View Post
    Kind of surprised. I think Mike was as much a part of Waid's early success on the Flash as Waid's writing was.
    Yeah, I'm surprised that there was no Ringo mention too. Of course, great as his art was, I'm honestly not sure if I would say that it was as important as Waid's writing considering how many different artists there were throughout his run.

What DC should do though is put out a trade of all those fantastic Ringo-drawn issues that took place between The Return of Barry Allen and Terminal Velocity in his memory.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geddlee View Post
    I imagine this interview was only just now posted but was actually conducted awhile ago.

But given the timing and the whole death of Bart thing, I'm gonna be skipping this.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Veteran Member

My biggest concern about the title is that if Waid brings back Wally's first girlfriend--he'll call her "Frankie". Given that that's my biggest worry (and the only real gripe I had with his first run), I think Flash is in good hands.

P.S. No one named Frances would actually agree to be nicknamed "Frankie". It makes less sense that someone running faster than light speed.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    My biggest concern about the title is that if Waid brings back Wally's first girlfriend--he'll call her "Frankie". Given that that's my biggest worry (and the only real gripe I had with his first run), I think Flash is in good hands.

P.S. No one named Frances would actually agree to be nicknamed "Frankie". It makes less sense that someone running faster than light speed.
    She was actually used a fair amount in Geoff Johns' run on the title. She went by the name Magenta, I believe. I can't actually see Waid using her much this time round, especially because he seems so intent on making this run fairly different from the last time he was on the book.

Eater of Planet Eaters HotRod_Tim's Avatar

Waid's return to Flash is getting me excited. Just one more day!!!!

I can't wait to see how he explores the West family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    She was actually used a fair amount in Geoff Johns' run on the title. She went by the name Magenta, I believe. I can't actually see Waid using her much this time round, especially because he seems so intent on making this run fairly different from the last time he was on the book.
    The name Magenta goes back to Frances Kane's appearances in The New Teen Titans. I think it was introduced in the Teen Titans Spotlight story in which she enrolled in a program at S.T.A.R. labs to control her powers, but the head of the program brainwashed all the subjects into being ruthless assassins. (This would have been right after she left Wally at the beginning of his series.)

Someone once pointed out that if you swap a couple of letters in Magenta, you get Magneta, a female form of Magneto.
    "The Flash lives! I always wanted to say that." - Wally West, Flash v.2 #50

I'm super excited about the return of Waid, but I'm a little worried about Acuna. His art looks a little too much like those sad pictures you see of somebody taking a swimsuit model's picture and using a computer to add a Wonder Woman costume over the top.

Hopefully after the issue comes out, my worries will die down some, but I doubt it after seeing the preview images...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
    The name Magenta goes back to Frances Kane's appearances in The New Teen Titans. I think it was introduced in the Teen Titans Spotlight story in which she enrolled in a program at S.T.A.R. labs to control her powers, but the head of the program brainwashed all the subjects into being ruthless assassins. (This would have been right after she left Wally at the beginning of his series.)

Someone once pointed out that if you swap a couple of letters in Magenta, you get Magneta, a female form of Magneto.
    Well, there you go. You're the Flash historian after all. I have to admit, when I first read her name, I read it as Magneta, which did strike me as being a bit of a lame rip off of Magneto.

Jeffrey's interview with Mark Waid was indeed conducted prior to Mike Wieringo's death.

(It still feels so wrong to type those last three words....)

I stopped buying Flash after Flash: FMA #13, I've never been interested in Wally West's character. Never. I know a bit about Barry Allen's character and his legacy but the thing is Wally West doesn't interest me. They should've put his story to rest in Infinite Crisis, showing him happy in the speed force with his family so people didn't go ape. I liked Marc Gunningheim's Flash a lot, it was good, and fun to read. I read All Flash and was disastisfied, it wasn't a good read and I feel Dan DiDio has really screwed up DC as a whole. That's why I read the All-Star line, because I don't have to be convulted by continuity. JSA is titering on my pull-list, the Kingdom Come Superman storyline has me interested, Grant Morrison's Batman is awesome, I love him as a writer, one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 08-15-2007 at 12:04 AM.