Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Sons of Beatles - records by Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, and Dhani Harrison?

During the 1980s, Julian Lennon (elder son of late Beatle John Lennon) had a hit or two with his first album and singles, but hasn't been much of a presence in popular music since. More recently, John's younger son Sean and George Harrison's son, Dhani Harrison, have been recording and performing music. Has anyone heard any of Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, and Dhani Harrison's recent recordings and care to comment on them?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Julian Lennon actually did a pretty good job on his albums, although I think they tried just a bit too hard to make him sound as much like his father as possible.

Still, I really did think that both, Valotte and Much To Late For Goodbyes were pretty decent pop songs.

I have never actually heard any songs by either Sean or Dhani though, so I really can't make any judgements.

I didn't even realize that Dhani released hjis own music and while I have heard of Sean Lennon's music, I can't recall if I have ever heard any of it. As for Julian, I'm only familiar with those two songs that rick mentioned and you know what, they really are rather good pop songs. He also sounds eerily like his father.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Jaw Squad Member

Bit OT, but is Ringo's son still with Oasis?
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

I have a Cibo Matto album called Stereotype A from a few years ago that Sean Lennon worked on. I know he played keyboard, and I suspect that he wrote or helped write some of the music. It's a great album, often upbeat and poppy, but other times showing more depth.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Bit OT, but is Ringo's son still with Oasis?
    I think Zak Starkey plays with the Who these days.

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

As mentioned by Shellhead, Sean Lennon indeed was a member of experimental music group Cibo Matto, playing guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards in their second and final album released in 1999, Stereo Type A (he was dating Cibo Matto co-founder Yuka Honda at the time). It's actually a pretty decent record if you go for the more offbeat stuff (which I do).

He's done some songwriting for other artists as well, and his most popular song is probably Esthero's "Everyday Is A Holiday", a really catchy pop number (here's a clip of him playing with Esthero live, neat stuff). I've listened to his solo record, "Friendly Fire"... it actually has a neat story behind it. Lennon previously was unmotivated to release his own solo stuff, preferring to write material for other performers, but after his then live-in girlfriend cheated on him with his best buddy, he decided to draw on that experience for his own music. Not surprisingly, the album's pretty dour and bitter, but it's a decent listen. Here's a clip of him performing "Dead Meat" from the album.

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think Zak Starkey plays with the Who these days.

As far as I know, he plays with The Who AND Oasis.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

Veteran Member

dhani harrison is awesome.

The video for Sean Lennon's "Dead Meat" is hilarious. Only song I've ever really heard by him.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Juilian's career in the USA ended pretty much once his 2 singles were over. However overseas Juilian's career has always stayed around. In 1999 when he was releasing Photograph Smile (his 1st solo album in 8 to 9 years) 20/20 interviewed him.

It was a good interview and discussed his father issues. Juilian recieves his share of the royalty checks from Yoko and trust me.... its pretty fucking sad. She sends him I believe 50 cents a month. He had one framed on his wall saying that he really only wanted a few of his fathers old shirts and all. For keepsakes. Even he admitted theres no way he could ever compete and have a 1# album in the USA again since people love his father.

Anyhow Juilian is still going and is releasing another solo album this year. Good luck to him.

I've not really listened to much Sean Lennon or Dhani Harrison music. It had to be rough as hell on Dhani as a young man to finish his late fathers last album....damn.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    Julian Lennon actually did a pretty good job on his albums, although I think they tried just a bit too hard to make him sound as much like his father as possible.

Still, I really did think that both, Valotte and Much To Late For Goodbyes were pretty decent pop songs.
    I have to agree here. I really liked those two songs when they were getting airplay.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr each has borne offspring who have become professional musicians in their own right. That leaves Paul McCartney as the odd man out. Does Macca have any children with musical aspirations?

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr each has borne offspring who have become professional musicians in their own right. That leaves Paul McCartney as the odd man out. Does Macca have any children with musical aspirations?

Well he has Stella who became a fashion designer and designed things for Madonna . Who knows... Paul's latest child is 3 or 4 years old and she could become a pop/rock star in 15 to 18 years...with her daddy guiding her behind the scenes.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

His son, James played some guitar on Macca's Flaming Pie album.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier