Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who is the most intelligent character in fiction?

In all of fiction (comics, novels, movies, television, games, radio serials, etc.), who do consider the most intelligent character ever created? List the reasons (as well as some examples) for your choice.

Any Omniscient being. Because knowing everything makes you the smartest by default.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

RITA's punching bag nervmeister's Avatar

This is such a horribly broad question. We'll be up all night trying to figure this out.
    Declared a king among men by Black atom: 5/11/07
    Given a cool award, an awesome award, and the keys to the internet: 11/8/06
    Won thread:5/15/07
    Won a cool award: 6/28/07
    Won post of the year: 7/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by DABishop View Post
    In addition to having the worst life ever, having everyone he meets get brutally raped and/or killed, and being constantly hunted by demons, Guts also has the world's ugliest baby.

Congrats Guts, your life sucks.

Where's Sun Tzu when you need him? He should get a kick out of this one.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Where's Sun Tzu when you need him? He should get a kick out of this one.
    Ah, yes.
    The thing about extremely intelligent characters is that, more often than not, they're actually smarter (or at least supposed to be) than the people writing them, which can be a problem. There are three main ways to deal with it:

1)Make the characters solve extremely complicated problems...without showing how.
    The easiest and cheapest way. Very, very often used with characters that are supposed to be tech geniuses (I mean, if the writer knew how to build FTL starships, he probably wouldn't be in the writing business). Perhaps the ur-example of this is "Dexter's Laboratory", where the title character is supposed to be a genius, and regularly builds wonders of technology (with no hint of explanation as to how they work)...but acts like a complete moron in almost every other regard.

2)Make the characters solve problems despite ridiculous handicaps.
    When the supergenius character solves in a second a riddle that would take us days to solve, that can indicate a superior intellect. In "Mindmistress", the titular super-humanly intelligent character managed to learn a new language after mere minutes of conversation.

3)Make use of author omniscience.
    Presumably, Conan Doyle wasn't as good a detective as Sherlock Holmes. But he knew who committed the crimes and how, so he could go from there to imagine what clues they would have left, and made Holmes make deductions from there. Likewise, I doubt Timothy Zahn is as clever as Grand Admiral Thrawn...but, since he knew how every side behaved and controlled the flow of the story, he could make sure that Thrawn always made the right decisions.

Very often, supposedly super-intelligent characters act in ways that are...not so intelligent. But if we're talking about characters who actually demonstrate cleverness "on screen", then I'd say those who have impressed me the most have been the aforementioned Thrawn, as well as Raito Yagami and L from "Death Note". (I like to think I've written a few good supergeniuses myself, but not really objective here.)

Gazing at UFOs in the sky. Or are those memories?

As mentioned earlier: Any top tier cosmic with omniscience.

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    Ah, yes.
    The thing about extremely intelligent characters is that, more often than not, they're actually smarter (or at least supposed to be) than the people writing them, which can be a problem. There are three main ways to deal with it:

1)Make the characters solve extremely complicated problems...without showing how.
    The easiest and cheapest way. Very, very often used with characters that are supposed to be tech geniuses (I mean, if the writer knew how to build FTL starships, he probably wouldn't be in the writing business). Perhaps the ur-example of this is "Dexter's Laboratory", where the title character is supposed to be a genius, and regularly builds wonders of technology (with no hint of explanation as to how they work)...but acts like a complete moron in almost every other regard.

When the supergenius character solves in a second a riddle that would take us days to solve, that can indicate a superior intellect. In "Mindmistress", the titular super-humanly intelligent character managed to learn a new language after mere minutes of conversation.

Presumably, Conan Doyle wasn't as good a detective as Sherlock Holmes. But he knew who committed the crimes and how, so he could go from there to imagine what clues they would have left, and made Holmes make deductions from there. Likewise, I doubt Timothy Zahn is as clever as Grand Admiral Thrawn...but, since he knew how every side behaved and controlled the flow of the story, he could make sure that Thrawn always made the right decisions.

Very often, supposedly super-intelligent characters act in ways that are...not so intelligent. But if we're talking about characters who actually demonstrate cleverness "on screen", then I'd say those who have impressed me the most have been the aforementioned Thrawn, as well as Raito Yagami and L from "Death Note". (I like to think I've written a few good supergeniuses myself, but not really objective here.)
    QFT.

Also agreed on the Light/L bieng some of the best written smart characters ever.

In your opinion who was smarter? I think L was smarter while Light had a tad bit more devious cunning and manipulation skills.
    Last edited by Jammin; 08-08-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    "An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind." ~ Buddha

"The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground. " ~ Buddha

"Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity." ~ Fox Mulder

Non god's

The Doctor.

The Master.

Washu (Non god version)

Reed

Doom

Thrwan
    In the third Tiberium war there are many sides Chose the Right one

---------------------------------------------------

Welcome to a world where the laws of physics do not apply, where the most insane things can happen on a regular basis, and where logic is a foreign concept.

Welcome... to the Anime Zone.

---------------------------------------------------

won the internet 1

http://homepage.mac.com/manaknight/robin5089.png
    Check out the test to find out who you are!

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    Ah, yes.

You can also do a combo of all three or use them interchangably. For example, and author can always research whatever it is the character needs to be able to know or understand right away.

The third method can be troublesome, though, since it sometimes causes the character to make enormous leaps of assumption. Holmes was brilliant at deduction, yes, but realistically he should have been wrong way more times then he was.

I remember one character -I think it was Samuel Vimes from Discworld- explain how much he detested those who thought they could solve a crime just by looking at someones hands and the mud on their boots; that it was an insult to the complexity of the world and the thousands of different possible explanations it offered.

By the way, if you're interested in a somewhat different brand of detective stories, check out G.K. Chesterton's The Club of Queer Trades. The main character is basically an "Anti-Holmes" who solves completely illogical mysteries through intuition rather then deduction. ;)
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic eagle View Post
    As mentioned earlier: Any top tier cosmic with omniscience.
    There is a difference between knowledge and being intelligent. They are not quite the same thing.

Omniscience is about knowledge and that is all. But being intelligent also factors in imagination, creativity, cunning, strategy, guile and being resourceful.

Both Doom and Thanos have punked top-tier cosmics on a regular basis.

I would say either Washu or Lucifer Morningstar are the most intelligent because they have all these factors as well as knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Denial View Post
    There is a difference between knowledge and being intelligent. They are not quite the same thing.

Omniscience is about knowledge and that is all. But being intelligent also factors in imagination, creativity, cunning, strategy, guile and being resourceful.

I would say either Washu or Lucifer Morningstar are the most intelligent because they have all these factors as well as knowledge.
    Well, there are different kinds of intelligence. Brainpower is one thing, and actually using said brainpower efficiently is another.

Take Senbei Norimaki from "Dr Slump", for example. Dude builds Washuu level tech with very modest resources... but he's still kinda stupid otherwise.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Well, there are different kinds of intelligence. Brainpower is one thing, and actually using said brainpower efficiently is another.

Take Senbei Norimaki from "Dr Slump", for example. Dude builds Washuu level tech with very modest resources... but he's still kinda stupid otherwise.

That's pretty much my point.

I choose Washu and Morningstar because they pretty much have all areas of intelligence covered.

Quote Originally Posted by S J C View Post
    Non god's

The Doctor.

The Master.

Washu (Non god version)

Reed

Doom

Thrwan
    Give a Guy who is more realistic Like Mac some props also Billy Cranston.
    What Wolverine should be doing with out his SMvsFL...

Holder of the Spark of Awesomeness
    I don't bite
    From the Blog of Hiro (Heroes)
    I'm at full HP and MP, and have all my elixirs. It's time to take down the last boss.

I saw the future that I must prevent and I will prevent it.

Who am I?

I'm Hiro Nakamura. I'm going to save the world.I made Kenshiro (FoTNS) Laugh

Gazing at UFOs in the sky. Or are those memories?

Well then it is a toss-up between Morningstar, Washu and Thanos.

erm actually total omniscience actually knowing everything that can be known.

Creativity is creating new ideas and concepts, but again somone with total Ominiscience KNOWS everything in the first place, no NO concept or idea is new. They already kNOW IT.

Strategy, too simple. The person with Ominscience knows all possible outcomes and will be able to calculate the best move. They know everything possible known to any being.

Also a know anything and everything is know the past, present and future. That is total Omniscience.