Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

Default Greg Rucka's Stumptown

The first mystery fans get to solve is the identity of the protagonist. Rucka was decidedly tight-lipped about not only the name of the detective in "Stumptown" but also the detective's gender. He did go so far as to say that the stories in "Stumptown" take place in the same world as his novels.

"The detective is not obsessive-compulsive, the detective does not talk to dead people, the detective cannot float through walls," Rucka said. "The detective gets beat up a lot. The detective has a car that's kinda cool but doesn't work right. The detective in 'Stumptown' is the best person in their world, and a good enough person for any world."
    Gathering clues from his livejournal posts, him holding back on revealing the gender, this book taking place in the world of his novels, and talking about the car that's "kinda cool but doesn't work right" all signs are pointing to Bridgett Logan, which makes me excited. She is one of my favorite characters in the Atticus Kodiak series, and her own book "Shooting at Midnight" is one of my favorite reads in the last decade.

Needless to say, I'm in for this series.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Full story here. ;)

I really need to start reading Rucka's novels again. I think the last one I read was Critical Space. That was years ago.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

His newest Kodiak novel, Patriot Acts, comes out August 28.

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

When I first saw that the story was set in Portland, I couldn't help but wonder if Miriam from Fistful of Rain might be involved somehow. It certainly would be interesting.

And while it was very subtle, there was a tiny reference in Fistful of Rain that indicated the book took place in the same world as the Kodiak series. At the very least it is a possibility that some characters from there might show up in Stumptown as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DWEarhart View Post
    And while it was very subtle, there was a tiny reference in Fistful of Rain that indicated the book took place in the same world as the Kodiak series.
    Really? I was aware that the book took place in the same world as the Kodiak stories, but I couldn't for the life of me catch any in-story reference to that. If you could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.