Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CCI LIVE: DC Countdown...to the End?

CBR brings you live coverage of the first DC Comics panel of the weekend, DC Countdown... to the End? Check back with us every few minutes for more updates on the panel.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=11306

On a throne atop a mountain of lesser men.

“We wanted to follow '52,' which was more of a world building book, with more of a world destroying book,” DiDio said. “If 52 is the Academy Award-winning movie, then Countdown is the big summer blockbuster.”
    Pfffffft hahahaha! Oh, man...

If 52 was an Academy Award-winning movie, then All-Star Superman and The Spirit are "The Godfather" and "Godfather II" of comics. Seriously, I'm a big fan of hyperbole, but that's pretty extreme, D Didi. 52 was good, but it wasn't award-winning good, hence its lack of award-winnings.

Countdown to the End, huh? Count me out.

ZING!
    Go !@#$ yourself.

Finally, a panel where questions about the New Gods will actually have answers!

Maybe!

:p

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac View Post
    Pfffffft hahahaha! Oh, man...

If 52 was an Academy Award-winning movie, then All-Star Superman and The Spirit are "The Godfather" and "Godfather II" of comics. Seriously, I'm a big fan of hyperbole, but that's pretty extreme, D Didi. 52 was good, but it wasn't award-winning good, hence its lack of award-winnings.
    I'm sure he means that mostly stylistically, in the same way you might say that the also-not-Oscar-worthy Civil War is the Oscar film, and WWH the popcorn one. But I'm still not really sure it's an apt comparison for the DC series. Countdown hasn't really had as much action in it as 52 did.

BANNED

I don't think "Vertigo" could be another Earth really. It'd have to be several Earths, one for Fables, one for Y The Last Man, etc.

Do you agree that having the Vertigo earth(s) as DC earths would push kids to mature comics they shouldn't be buying?

I personally agree with the guy, but mainly because I want to make sure Fables etc stay inside their own books. I don't want Bigby showing up in Metropolis, or anything at all along those lines. Keep them self-contained and unique!!!!

The creator-owned Vertigo books have never been meant to be part of the DCU in any way, and I'm sure that will continue to be true. It's more a question of characters like Constantine, Swamp Thing, The Endless, and Tim Hunter, who all had roots in the shared DCU universe before Vertigo was created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymcl89 View Post
    The creator-owned Vertigo books have never been meant to be part of the DCU in any way, and I'm sure that will continue to be true. It's more a question of characters like Constantine, Swamp Thing, The Endless, and Tim Hunter, who all had roots in the shared DCU universe before Vertigo was created.
    So basically the DC inspired Vertigo is what they're speaking of. Gotcha.

A fan tried to ask about Deadman's appearance in “Justice League of America” and how that reconciles with the Deadman in Vertigo, but DiDio ssshed him, asking that he keep quiet because he managed to get Deadman in the JL title clandestinely. DiDio then confirmed that Deadman will not have a DCU series anytime soon.
    So Bruce Jones's unheralded Deadman Vertigo series, cancelled after a year, means that Boston Brand can't appear in the DCU anymore despite being a fixture for years?
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

Son of Ladlad and Ladlass ChairthrowerLad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    So Bruce Jones's unheralded Deadman Vertigo series, cancelled after a year, means that Boston Brand can't appear in the DCU anymore despite being a fixture for years?
    He might be like Animalman and be able to hop back and forth. But in my opinion, Deadman coming back to the regular DCU would be a good thing. That Bruce Jones series was "meh".

Slightly Curved Member Azrael52's Avatar

What was all of that about "What if Batman dies in Final Crisis?"
    Please, check out my blog: Nothing to See Here http://www.raymondmasters.wordpress.com

Look me up on Twitter: @Azrael52

Nothing there that makes me want to give Countdown another look. I'll check things out when it gets to the destination, since the journey is not interesting.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

If even the Vertigo characters that have roots in the DCU are out, then what about the recent appearance of Destiny in Brave and the Bold, or the recent references to Swamp Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ChairthrowerLad View Post
    He might be like Animalman and be able to hop back and forth. But in my opinion, Deadman coming back to the regular DCU would be a good thing. That Bruce Jones series was "meh".
    Do note that the question asked - and the answer given - was in regards to a Deadman DCU *series*.

Considering there have been.....what, only 2 Deadman series ever (not counting minis), I can see him being used in the DCU again.

Son of Ladlad and Ladlass ChairthrowerLad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Do note that the question asked - and the answer given - was in regards to a Deadman DCU *series*.

Considering there have been.....what, only 2 Deadman series ever (not counting minis), I can see him being used in the DCU again.
    Fair enough I was just speculating...dont punish me for being bored at work!

:p

Quote Originally Posted by ChairthrowerLad View Post
    Fair enough I was just speculating...dont punish me for being bored at work!
    I'm in the same boat, man - no excuses!

(But seriously - others have said the same thing you did...but when I read that, the word "series" stuck right out and prompted me to say "Uh, he's never really had that many to start off with"...)