BANNED

Default RASL - Jeff Smith's New Book

The cartoonist that did Bone and (apparently, I actually didn't know this) a Shazam mini-series is working on a new series.

http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_0...asl_Smith.html

It's a black and white book, with a sci-fi feel, about an art thief who travels to alternate dimensions to steal paintings.

The thing that might make me not buy this is that it's going to be expensive. In the article, it shows that the book will be much larger length and width wise, and the 6 page preview is going to sell for $5.00. Jeff says a full page book may cost more.

I just don't know if I can make that kind of investment. Though knowing his work, I probably will.

If anyone has the preview, be sure to contact me. I'd love to get one. :)
    Last edited by Flash's Lightning; 07-26-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Coolness. I'm a big Jeff Smith fan. I'll definitely be picking this up.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

I like Jeff Smith's stuff, but I am not sure about paying 6 dollars for 5 pages.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

Y'know? I really, really, really like Bone. I was actually one of the first to like Bone. But now, now I get the feeling that, well, it's--

I'M JEFF SMITH, SO PAY ME LOTS OF MONEY.

I objected to it with Captain Marvel, which I enjoyed a lot, but feel was at LEAST $2 over-priced. And, admittedly without seeing the work, am not at all interested in Smith's new work at such an...extortionist price...

Am I overstating?
    mmm, perhaps. Perhaps.

Matt
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Mr. Immortal GreatLakesAvengers's Avatar

Might have been a good idea to buy it for $5 ... it's selling for over $50 on eBay right now.
    GreatLakesAvengers.com | Cyberspace Comics Blog | swipes | Twitter @ cyberspacecomix

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Y'know? I really, really, really like Bone. I was actually one of the first to like Bone. But now, now I get the feeling that, well, it's--

I'M JEFF SMITH, SO PAY ME LOTS OF MONEY.

I objected to it with Captain Marvel, which I enjoyed a lot, but feel was at LEAST $2 over-priced. And, admittedly without seeing the work, am not at all interested in Smith's new work at such an...extortionist price...

Am I overstating?
    mmm, perhaps. Perhaps.

Matt
    Captain Marvel was printed on better paper with cardstock covers (or something like that), with no ads, and each issue was double size. $6.00 was right in line with standard DC pricing.

In the article Smith says pretty plainly that he doesn't know how much the full issues are going to cost. I'd guess that the 6-page preview (which you can read for free at the newsarama.com link) price was up because of a low production run. The issues will be 11x17 B/W (which is also in the article), so I'd imagine the cost increase will be mitigated to some extent.

Default CCI XTRA: “Boning” Around with Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith, beloved creator of “Bone” and “Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil” ran his own panel on Saturday at Comic-Con International in San Diego, and discussed his new project, “RASL.”

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=11433

lost in the cyber dungeon The Xenos's Avatar

Yeah. I think that preview is $5 because of how limited the run is. It's like those ash can runs. Really, it's not a regular comic. It's a limited run of a preview. One that's online for free. So it sounds more like a collector's item anyway than a regular book.
    Xenos

People fixate on price far more than value. Shazam probably gave you more bang for your buck than most comics, and an 11x17 format should look gorgeous.

Really, you get what you pay for. If you want a generic, floppy, ad-ridden pamphlet, there are plenty of those around for $2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Day View Post
    People fixate on price far more than value. Shazam probably gave you more bang for your buck than most comics, and an 11x17 format should look gorgeous.

Really, you get what you pay for. If you want a generic, floppy, ad-ridden pamphlet, there are plenty of those around for $2.99.

I agree 1000 %. I like odd-sized formats, and 11x17 is a welcome relief from the publishing trend towards digest sized books. I've seen the preview book, and it looks quite snazzy indeed.