Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about She-Hulk, anger and her strength

We all know the madder Hulk gets the stronger. It's been like that since day one. He's also (mostly) been an unintellegent monster too.

When Banner gave Walters some blood she gained the ability to transform into She-Hulk. At first she got angry but gained control of her powers.

I don't have access to 22,000 of my comics so I'm hoping someone can help me here.

My question is does she get stronger the madder she gets? She went on a rampage during the Search for She-Hulk storyline (those issues are among the ones I can't get at)... why did she go crazy and did she get stronger with anger?

Are there other instances of her getting stronger with anger?

As of late, there's been no real correlation between Shulkie's strength and her anger. She was stronger in the Search for She-Hulk because of the effect that Jack of Hearts was having on her, which is also what caused her to go savage.

Dan Slott has put forth the theory that She-Hulk's strength is in correlation to the strength of Jennifer Walters. I.E. the stronger that Jen is, the stronger She-Hulk is exponentially.

Avengers #500. She went nuts and grew much larger and stronger.

Never see me Coming thronzeblast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    We all know the madder Hulk gets the stronger. It's been like that since day one. He's also (mostly) been an unintellegent monster too.

When Banner gave Walters some blood she gained the ability to transform into She-Hulk. At first she got angry but gained control of her powers.

I don't have access to 22,000 of my comics so I'm hoping someone can help me here.

My question is does she get stronger the madder she gets? She went on a rampage during the Search for She-Hulk storyline (those issues are among the ones I can't get at)... why did she go crazy and did she get stronger with anger?

Here is a review for the search for she-hulk also tell's you why she went out of control.

The story begins where Avengers Vol. 2: Red Zone ended: Jennifer Walters (a.k.a SHE-Hulk), after being drained of her internal gamma radiation by fellow Avenger, Jack of Hearts, finds her powers out of control. Unlike her cousin Bruce Banner (a.k.a. THE Hulk), when Jennifer transforms into a green behemoth, she remains a rational, self-controlled woman with her personality intact. No longer. Because of the events of “Red Zone,” whenever Jennifer becomes afraid, she changes into the enraged unstoppable destructive force that has made her cousin a hunted man. Jennifer heads to Bone, Idaho, hoping to find Bruce, so together they can figure out a way to readjust her level of radiation. When a small group of Avengers intercepts Jennifer, she isn’t appreciative and transforms into the irrational She-Hulk. Then the mayhem ensues.

The last time she went savage her strenght increased through fear, not anger.
    Everyone has a price. Some are cheaper than others.

The solution to every problem you'll ever have: get over it.

Fire. Wang Fire.

In the Search For She-Hulk she claimed it was Fear that made fueled her Hulkyness.
    http://comicsaga.blogspot.com/
    Come visit my blog about all things comics!

I remember seeing scans for like an annual or something where Jen loses a case because she keeps having to get called away to deal with Titania. Near the end she's states something to the effect of you know how the Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets, well I'm really really mad right now. She then proceeds to waste Titania.

Also didn't she seem to show a boost when she was really mad as Star Fox over possibly seducing her.

I don't follow her series so I can only go be scans I've seen.
    "A fast low flying Power Girl could take out a platoon of soldiers without even throwing a punch."
    -someone on the DC forums

Thanks guys and gals.

Default who is Hulk?

who is hulk?:D

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    I remember seeing scans for like an annual or something where Jen loses a case because she keeps having to get called away to deal with Titania. Near the end she's states something to the effect of you know how the Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets, well I'm really really mad right now. She then proceeds to waste Titania.
    That'd be a Claremont penned back-up story in Solo Avengers 14, pretty much written for laughs with Jen being full of anxiety about the court appearance and completely dismissive of the nuisance Titania, though this was the first post Secret Wars rumble. I think you can judge the tone of the story from this image.

Or this one of Jen's 'hulk-out'.

All that was missing was some cartoon birdies fluttering around Titania's head in the aftermath. As evidence of Jen's strength fluctuating with anger, best taken with a large pinch of salt.

Aside from the odd radiation dosage story as mentioned above, Jen's levels seem pretty much stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    That'd be a Claremont penned back-up story in Solo Avengers 14, pretty much written for laughs with Jen being full of anxiety about the court appearance and completely dismissive of the nuisance Titania, though this was the first post Secret Wars rumble. I think you can judge the tone of the story from this image.

Or this one of Jen's 'hulk-out'.

All that was missing was some cartoon birdies fluttering around Titania's head in the aftermath. As evidence of Jen's strength fluctuating with anger, best taken with a large pinch of salt.

Aside from the odd radiation dosage story as mentioned above, Jen's levels seem pretty much stable.
    This is true, but ultimately isn't it still canon? Or is it seriously out of step with all her other showings?
    Last edited by Ragnorok64; 02-05-2008 at 07:14 AM.
    "A fast low flying Power Girl could take out a platoon of soldiers without even throwing a punch."
    -someone on the DC forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    This is true, but ultimately isn't it still canon? Or is it seriously out of step with all her other showings?
    You're right about it being canon, it's popped up in a few flashbacks since then. I prefer to read it as Jen making the claim to psyche her out. Titania's full of herself about beating on She-Hulk in Secret Wars but Jen then saying she gets stronger when mad rattles her and she gets a pounding.

It's definitely not out of step with her other showings against Titania, it might've set the standard for them as she never tries to tangle with her again without back-up, having She-Hulk at a disadvantage or finding a way to boost herself.

I always thought that if she got sufficiently out of control she was almost as strong as the Hulk himself & I thought anger could trigger this. Didn't she go on some sort of unstoppable rampage due to anger near the end of the first volume of She Hulk 3 or 4 years back?

Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar

It seems that something external has to boost her strength/power levels. Red Zone, buffing up, etc. will do it but her getting angry will not do it. Getting angry may boost her strength but certainly not to the levels of the Hulk. I would look at it as her simply not holding back and cutting loose on said opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    You're right about it being canon, it's popped up in a few flashbacks since then. I prefer to read it as Jen making the claim to psyche her out.
    That's the way I've always taken it as well.

I think there's a few more references to her cousin and the madder he gets, the stronger he gets in relation to her own self, but it's always mostly been done as just a joking reference (I can't place another reference other than the one shown, but I'm fairly certain I've seen it once or twice).

I don't think it's ever been shown that there's actually a correlation between her anger and her strength levels. She's stayed at a fairly consistent strength level since she first popped up, with the exception of the few times she went bonkers due to outside influences, and more recently that she's now classified in the class 100 category (due to increasing her strength as Jennifer Walters).