Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Homosexuality in Comics

In part I of a series, CBR News examines the portrayal of homosexual characters and themes in comics past and present. Joining us in this part: Mark Millar, Devin Grayson, Marc Andreyko and more.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=11165

"Welcome to the first installment of CBR's comprehensive look at homosexuality in comics. CBR News spoke with nine comics industry professionals about the portrayal of GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexual) characters and themes in comics, past and present."

'Homosexuality' does not equal 'GLBT'.

Quote Originally Posted by keithtalent View Post
    'Homosexuality' does not equal 'GLBT'.
    Isn't homosexuality the G and the L in GLBT?

Weird for weirdness' sake ACertainMrDoe's Avatar

The minute the book becomes about their gay kiss as opposed to, say, fighting clones of the Avengers is the moment you lose your narrative.
    Very true. I believe that comics that show "taboo" breakers as background information rather than "oh look, I'm making a comic about GAY people!" are conveying the idea of tolerance and acceptance much better.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    Isn't homosexuality the G and the L in GLBT?
    Yes, which is why the quote is misleading, it implies that 'GLBT' is synonymous with 'homosexuality'.

To be comprehensive their needs to be balance to the piece. The list of creators interviewed seems to be all very pro-GBLT in their views. Who is offering a more traditional popular conservative view on the GBLT topic?

Does the country still mainly (49%) view homosexuality as morally wrong? Why does it seem we hear more in comics from the 13% who see it as morally okay? Does anyone have a more recent poll than this CBSNews one?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in589551.shtml
    Last edited by stvnhthr; 07-17-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stvnhthr View Post
    To be comprehensive their needs to be balance to the piece. The list of creators interviewed seems to be all very pro-GBLT in their views. Who is offering a more traditional conservative view on the GBLT topic?
    Do you also think racial-equality discussions should present the Nazi perspective in interest of balance?
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

To be comprehensive their needs to be balance to the piece. The list of creators interviewed seems to be all very pro-GBLT in their views. Who is offering a more traditional popular conservative view on the GBLT topic?

Does the country still overwhelmingly (49%) view homosexuality as morally wrong? Why does it seem we hear more in comics from the 13% who see it as morally okay? Does anyone have a more recent poll than this CBSNews one?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in589551.shtml
    I probably come from a similar background as you (to put my post in context).

The gay marriage link segue is a mistake . . . I suggest you edit that out and leave it to the topic of gay themes and characters in comics.

Why do we (generally morally "conservative" people) accept a variety of plot elements and characterization that we would consider immoral without ANY objection, but single out homosexuality as objectionable?

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I probably come from a similar background as you (to put my post in context).

The gay marriage link segue is a mistake . . . I suggest you edit that out and leave it to the topic of gay themes and characters in comics.

Why do we (generally morally "conservative" people) accept a variety of plot elements and characterization that we would consider immoral without ANY objection, but single out homosexuality as objectionable?

The survey I linked to is a comprehensive opinion poll on many facets of homosexuality in society. I would agree that it would be a good idea to skip the first few questions on gay marriage (which will only lead to rabbit trails) and just focus on the latter questions about general views toward the homosexual lifestyle.

I did not weigh in on what my opinion was. I did not single out homosexuality as immoral, which as you pointed out is too common a practice by conservatives-it is the topic of the post and therefore the topic of my reply. I was just asking who would be representing the most common and popular opinions about homosexuality in this series of articles? The author does want us to take it seriously and not just read it as a one sided opinion piece correct?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyWKramer View Post
    Do you also think racial-equality discussions should present the Nazi perspective in interest of balance?
    By your comment you are making an unfounded presupposition that race and sexual orientation are equal in certain fundamental characteristics.

The survey I linked to is a comprehensive opinion poll on many facets of homosexuality in society. I would agree that it would be a good idea to skip the first few questions on gay marriage (which will only lead to rabbit trails) and just focus on the latter questions about general views toward the homosexual lifestyle.
    We have had a ton of threads devoted to the morality of homosexuality, the nature of homosexuality, and gay marriage on the Comm Board.

I thought it would actually be more interesting to talk about the article rather than discuss these topics once again.

I did not weigh in on what my opinion was. I did not single out homosexuality as immoral, which as you pointed out is too common a practice by conservatives-it is the topic of the post and therefore the topic of my reply. I was just asking who would be representing the most common and popular opinions about homosexuality in this series of articles? The author does want us to take it seriously and not just read it as a one sided opinion piece correct?
    I didn't presume it was an opinion piece.

It appears simply to be an interview with certain creators about the issue.

....yeah, i have nothing to add to the debate.
    I was more stuck by the fact that of the 5 people questioned, i either didn't know or only had a passing knowedlge of 3 of them, devin grayson has a lot to say, but i've never found her writing to be anything interesting, and mark millar said nothing new at all.
    So, yeah.

By your comment you are making an unfounded presupposition that race and sexual orientation are equal in certain fundamental characteristics.
    No, he's being snarky.

He does feel that homosexuals are an oppressed people group. And I agree with him.

75% of homosexual public school students suffer some form physical abuse in school.

CotM Member

To be comprehensive their needs to be balance to the piece. The list of creators interviewed seems to be all very pro-GBLT in their views. Who is offering a more traditional popular conservative view on
    Actually, your "traditional conservative" doesn't care either way about people's sexual proclivities. Individual rights and freedoms being respected was a cornerstone of Conservative politics up until the mid-eighties or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega View Post
    Actually, your "traditional conservative" doesn't care either way about people's sexual proclivities. Individual rights and freedoms being respected was a cornerstone of Conservative politics up until the mid-eighties or so.
    Thank you good sir!