Default Marvel 616 Chronological Reading Order

Ok, this might sound weird, but does anyone have a online reference or a downloadable checklist, etc. that shows the chronological order of all Marvel comics?

The list would start with whatever the first Marvel comic issue was (or maybe everything FF #1/Amazing Fantasty #15 forward) and show issues month by month up to present (more or less).

Example: Say I want to see what Marvel titles and issue numbers were released for July, 1975.

Basically like a really huge Marvel 616 reading order.

Freak!

Actually, this is a pet project of mine. I've been working on it for a year or so. I have a rough draft of '61-'90 if you like, but I find errors every time I read a comic and I'm sure there's many more to weed out. Kind of a catch 22 actually.

I'm doing this so I can sit down and read through the whole Marvel Universe from start-to-finish, but the best way to get an accurate order is to do that. But it's not something I'm likely to do twice.

The websites I use to help me are the UHBMCC and the Marvel Chronology Project

Both excellent sites. The former is a database with (almost) every Marvel comic ever published. You can sort by title, author, date...

The MCP puts character's appearances in chronological order.

I've been stealing from the Chronology project to suit my needs, but they go in strict chronological order, whereas I'm looking for more of a reading order (I don't want to start reading with all Marvel's Flashback issues for instance; they can be read when they came out) and sometimes I disagree with their placement.

If you're curious, I can send you the list I've made so far as long as you understand it's in very rough stages.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

A lot of this work has already been done.

Marvel Saga, a 24 issue miniseries, tells basically the story of the Marvel Universe from FF#1 through Annual #3, weaving all the relevant stories in and out of the timeline.

George O. Official Marvel Index series has chronology information, the second volume more complete than the first, up to about a couple of years shy of Secret Wars I.

I did the Avengers titles (and others) through Secret Wars I, where i then dropped nearly all my Marvel buying (except for Avengers for a couple of years afterwards)

Best of luck with this... Wolverine and the XMen will totally screw with the process....
    My Multiverse had a Crisis, and all i got was a lousy Reboot!

"When the f*ck did we get Ice Cream?"
    Wendell, The Ringer

"After a while, I was able to use the squirrel to break down the door..."
    Granny Puckett, Hoodwinked

=====================

"DONT TALK $H!T ABOUT TOTAL!!!!"
    TOURETTES GUY

I still have to track down more indices. Though I know the MCP uses those indices as a starting point. They're character-specific though, right?

And Marvel Saga is excellent, but not comprehensive enough for my needs.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Thanks for the links, coke & comics, I'll check those out.

Yeah, I'm basically looking for a Marvel Universe reading order like you mentioned.

I would be curious to see your list if it isn't too much trouble. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

For the X-Men books, chronology.net is a resource with timelines of read orders from the beginning of the X-Men to the 90s.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

Actually..ive sort of wondered what the reading order would be for the entire Marvel Universe also.I thought it basically started with the Essential Fantastic Four,X-Men,Thor,Hulk and Avengers.After that would be Secret Wars..and Avengers stories.

Default Marvel Universe reading order list

Hi ppl, hello Chris Nowlin,

I'm looking for a Marvel Universe reading order like you mentioned.

I would be curious to see your list if it isn't too much trouble. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Mr. Immortal GreatLakesAvengers's Avatar

Good luck!

I tried this with Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Unlimited and various other Spidey mini series in the early 90s (just before the clone saga hit) ... and it was a nightmare to reconcile.

Needless to say, I quickly gave up and just decided to read them for fun and mentally catalogue it all instead of putting it to paper.
    GreatLakesAvengers.com | Cyberspace Comics Blog | swipes | Twitter @ cyberspacecomix

People Think I'm a Goob! PCPaperbacks's Avatar

Here is a site that helps...

http://www.chronologyproject.com/

TANSTAAFL - Robert Heinlein

I've also been looking for a reading order to get me through the past events of marvel. There really isn't anything out there for it, most of what you see is chronology which is a diffrent thing then reading orders.

I have started working on a complete reading order for the marvel universe. You can find it here: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/

Default Marvel Universe Reading Order

Yes. I am currently working on an unofficial 'Marvel Universe Reading Order'.

You can find it on the Marvel Wikia. See what you think. It only goes up to 1987 at the moment and is in the process of having links added plus corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomodachi View Post
    Ok, this might sound weird, but does anyone have a online reference or a downloadable checklist, etc. that shows the chronological order of all Marvel comics?

The list would start with whatever the first Marvel comic issue was (or maybe everything FF #1/Amazing Fantasty #15 forward) and show issues month by month up to present (more or less).

Example: Say I want to see what Marvel titles and issue numbers were released for July, 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomodachi View Post

Yes. Click this for all Marvel comics by cover date.

I don't suppose this is exactly the same as the reading order.

Hey there, a couple of years ago I tried to find a complete reading order for the Marvel Universe, but all I ever found, if anything, were the lists of all the Marvel Comics ever published up until about the early 90s. The problem with that of course was that for one thing, just because its in order of publication, doesn't mean its in the order that it should be read in, that and a lot of the lists I found included titles that had nothing at all to do with the Marvel Universe. So because I couldn't find a reading order that satisfied me, I decided to make my own, so for the last couple of years I've been slowly putting together a Marvel Comics chronological reading order of my own design.

I started with one of the more complete publication order lists that I could find and used that as a basis to start from, then from there I did a chronology for all of the main characters/groups I could think of, as well as another two for miscellaneous comic series and for major crossovers [this is all done just in Word documents using a table and the columns for issue number, story arc and date of publication]. After that I compiled all of the chronologies together and then [because the document was getting too big to easily use without lagging] seperated them into individual decades, and once I had ordered each decade by publication I then went back through and ordered them by story arc. After this I went back over them and ordered them again by limited series and or series' that while important didn't involve any other titles in the story, once that was done it was a matter of combining all of those decades together into one massive [and I do mean massive] chronology.

Unfortunately thats where it kinda hit a bit of a snag as although I'm a pretty decent comic book geek, I haven't read every issue of everything and so am lacking in the knowledge of where individual issues may sit within the chronology [if that makes sense] and so couldn't really get a great deal further with it without outside help. Recently though I have been redoing it to include story name as well as I realised that could help to make it that little bit more accurate, and thats what I'm currently doing :)

If you would like a bit of a look at some of what I've done so far, feel free to ask :)

Talking There is a reading order

Hi Eddie Hades,

I only just noticed your post. I am currently working on an unofficial 'Marvel Universe Reading Order'.

You can find it on the Marvel Wikia. See what you think. It only goes up to 1995 at the moment and is in the process of having links added plus corrections. I am also doing an X-Men Reading order on the Marvel Wikia.

Yes I would like to see what you have done so far. Whats your email?

RG

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHades View Post
    Hey there, a couple of years ago I tried to find a complete reading order for the Marvel Universe, but all I ever found, if anything, were the lists of all the Marvel Comics ever published up until about the early 90s. The problem with that of course was that for one thing, just because its in order of publication, doesn't mean its in the order that it should be read in, that and a lot of the lists I found included titles that had nothing at all to do with the Marvel Universe. So because I couldn't find a reading order that satisfied me, I decided to make my own, so for the last couple of years I've been slowly putting together a Marvel Comics chronological reading order of my own design.

I started with one of the more complete publication order lists that I could find and used that as a basis to start from, then from there I did a chronology for all of the main characters/groups I could think of, as well as another two for miscellaneous comic series and for major crossovers [this is all done just in Word documents using a table and the columns for issue number, story arc and date of publication]. After that I compiled all of the chronologies together and then [because the document was getting too big to easily use without lagging] seperated them into individual decades, and once I had ordered each decade by publication I then went back through and ordered them by story arc. After this I went back over them and ordered them again by limited series and or series' that while important didn't involve any other titles in the story, once that was done it was a matter of combining all of those decades together into one massive [and I do mean massive] chronology.

Unfortunately thats where it kinda hit a bit of a snag as although I'm a pretty decent comic book geek, I haven't read every issue of everything and so am lacking in the knowledge of where individual issues may sit within the chronology [if that makes sense] and so couldn't really get a great deal further with it without outside help. Recently though I have been redoing it to include story name as well as I realised that could help to make it that little bit more accurate, and thats what I'm currently doing :)

If you would like a bit of a look at some of what I've done so far, feel free to ask :)