Page 2 of 207 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Hm..didn't notice Cassie getting dumber. Meaner maybe..but not dumber...example?
    And, Ms. Blade, if you do dress up, take some pics so we can all see it.
    TIM

That reminds me. It was a very nice touch in the first issue when Vlad made his comments about Cassie using herself as bait. It always sort of bothered me that Cassie was able to defeat countless slashers without any special powers or training. Revealing she has an actual game plan went a long way to explaining her success.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by timseeley View Post
    Hey Bitchblade..great name by the way.
    I change my mind on who should play Cas on a daily basis. I like both your choices, though, in a practical sense, they might be a tad old for Cassie. We'll probably need someone between 17-21. I dunno...pitch me some actresses, people. :D

TIM
    Cheers for the info on Vlad's background, will find out more in trade Vol 2.

One idea I keep seeing (apart from that girl from Suicide Girls website) is Cobie Smulders. In the right clothing, I think she could pull it off.
    If you look after the fans, they will look after you.

Here's a few random ideas for actresses to play Cassie:

Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Bobby, Grindhouse, Live Free or Die Hard)

Michelle Trachtenberg (Buffy, National Lampoon's Eurotrip, Black Christmas (remake))

Summer Glau (Firefly, Serenity)

Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars)

Megan Fox (Transformers)

Thanks,
    Dave

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

Hey Tim

I'm a late comer when it comes to Hack/Slash. I got interested in it after reading the preview of the first issue from DDP FCBD issue. After buying issue #1 I got interest enough in the series that I order both both Hack/Slash trades on Amazon. Gotta said man, it's some very great stuff. A have a question for you. Will we see any of the previous slashers rise from their graves again? I would love to see Father Wraith show up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

Hi, I'm interested in this series but I'd like to know more about it, particularly the art. Does anyone know were I may see some preview pages?

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in this series but I'd like to know more about it, particularly the art. Does anyone know were I may see some preview pages?
    Here's the preview of the first one-shot

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=3243
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

I gess i'll start reading this serie in trade.

To be honest, this is one of my favorite series right now. I picked up the first trade on a whim, as I'd heard good things about it and knew an ongoing was starting. Needless to say, I picked up the rest of the series shortly after. But when issue #1 came out, I found it actually sold out at my LCS (a new one at which I've been to lazy to start a pull list). After going around to every small shop in the city (none of which had it), I ended up ordering it from Devil's Due's shop, but it was all worth it. (On a side note, I picked up the last copy at my store of issue #2. I think I might be sensing a problem here. Demand might be more than the owner realizes.)

Anyway, my question is of a more general nature: how do you feel about using the format of an ongoing as opposed to the one shots and minis that comprised the series before? Obviously it enables you to have longer arcs and spend more time developing the characters, but will we be seeing any self-contained stories here or there, or do you suppose the story will be mostly told in arcs, like more mainstream books?
    Praise be to Nero's Neptune,
    The Titanic sails at dawn,
    And everybody's shouting,
    "Which Side Are You On?"

And Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot,
    Fighting in the captain's tower,
    While calypso singers laugh at them,
    And fishermen hold flowers.
    Between the windows of the sea,
    Where lovely mermaids flow,
    And nobody has to think too much,
    About Desolation Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid2 View Post
    I gess i'll start reading this serie in trade.
    Is that because you prefer trades to singles?
    If you look after the fans, they will look after you.

Quote Originally Posted by geordiesteve View Post
    Is that because you prefer trades to singles?
    It's cheaper in the end.
    That's how i read Fables to.
    I buy about a dozen singles a mount.

Cool...I like seeing lotsa responses. Keep it up! Whee!
    As for Father Wrath, he will be making a come back. You can't keep a good evil priest down, afterall.
    And, yeah,*my general impresion is that a number of stores sell out of their issues...if that happens to you a lot, just put it on your pull list or have it special ordered.
    Doing the monthly works better for me than the one-shots. I LOVE writing supporting cast, and the monthly has allowed me to add that. Plus, I get to vary the types of stories I can tell, and that's good for you AND me.
    TIM

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Well they're obviously based on Kiss and the "devil music" allegations that flew around in the 80s.
    Speaking of slasher inspirations, I hope nobody minds if I submit a character idea:

Mary Winters was a good kid, the usual Final Girl...until she made the double mistake of letting her boyfriend Todd kiss her and not stopping the killer first. Something warm and moist touched her lips, but it wasn't his kiss...it was his blood. Mary found herself holding his severed head.

Something else deviated from the usual slasher formula: instead of being frozen with terror, Mary snapped. Screaming with rage, she tried to kill the murderous Meathead... and became his second victim instead, impaled on his meat cleaver. The last thing she saw before her vision clouded up forever was Todd's head.

Mary was so full of rage at her unjustified, unavenged killing that she didn't want to die...and as we know, that creates slashers. Three days later, Mary rose from her slab in the morgue, and Bloody Mary was born.

But Bloody Mary isn't your average slasher. Since a slasher killed her, she's now a sort of "anti-slasher" who only kills the killers. She envies the living for being able to love and enjoy life, but she hates the dead for preventing her from doing the same.

(The inspiration for this character comes from both The Crow, and from Showtime's Dexter. I think it'd be interesting when she and Cassie/Vlad cross paths.)
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln

"We thought that by making your world more violent, we would make it more 'realistic,' more 'adult.' God help us if that's what it means."

-Grant Morrison to Animal Man, Animal Man #26

I've been a little on the fence about reading Hack/Slash for quite a while now. Both Cassie and Vlad are very interesting and multifaceted characters. I dig the idea that Cassie was able to turn all of this horror and pain in her life into something positive, and that Vlad, while looking like a monster, fights w/ a noble spirit. I definitely would like to see some of the earlier issues and TPBs. At the same time, I'm a little on the fence about the series since I'm not too much of a horror fan. The first issue's torture and mutilation scene were a little too much for me, though the humor and action scenes were spot on.

I was wondering if Cassie's time in foster care has been explored. All too often, when a character goes into a foster family, the trend is to have their life becomes even more damaged and screwed up. Thus, it was very refreshing for me to read this at Wikipedia:

Cassandra was then sent to a boarding home, finally loved and cared for, but once again a slasher took away her new father.
    So, who was Cassie's foster father? Was he a truly good person, or just someone who was using her? Has he become a slasher? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    "I am a man of peace."
    "A man of peace who fights like ten tigers."

Heh..I'm not sure where that Wikipedia author got that bit about the foster dad...it's defintiley not part of the comic book story.
    In any case, H/S IS a horror comic, so there'll be a bit of violence and gore. But, I think it's weighted with character stuff and comedy, so hopefully you'll enjoy it anyway.
    TIM