Page 266 of 336 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 5036

Hi guys,

I'm new to comics and I recently got the JMS Thor omnibus. I started reading it last night, can anyone lay down the basic premise of what happened to Thor before the 3 year hiatus? It's getting referenced a lot in the book and while I understand that he was effectively dead I feel I need a better understanding to appreciate the story more.

My actual question is can anyone recommend a good starting place for the Fantastic Four for someone new to the series? The JMS omni collects two Fantastic Four issues and although a short introduction I quite liked the characters and would like to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwalker View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new to comics and I recently got the JMS Thor omnibus. I started reading it last night, can anyone lay down the basic premise of what happened to Thor before the 3 year hiatus? It's getting referenced a lot in the book and while I understand that he was effectively dead I feel I need a better understanding to appreciate the story more.

My actual question is can anyone recommend a good starting place for the Fantastic Four for someone new to the series? The JMS omni collects two Fantastic Four issues and although a short introduction I quite liked the characters and would like to read more.
    Can't help with the Fantastic Four question, but for the last stage of Thor's story before the JMS reboot, you need the Thor: Disassembled trade.

As a brief rundown that doesn't spoiler that too much, it's a besetting problem for Marvel's Asgardians, that much as the original Norse gods did, they live with the prophesy of the end of the world called Ragnarok hanging over their heads. It's been loosely indicated as a background condition that they've been through several Ragnarok cycles (loosely used as a way of "explaining" why, for example, the whole look of Asgard and to some extent the characters, might change from one major run to another) ...basically they have a massive war with all available defenders of the Aesir squared off against every one from Loki and his children the giant wolf Fenrir and Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent, through the fire-giant Surt[ur] and his hordes from Muspelheim. The Bifrost shatters under the weight of the forces attacking, Heimdall sounds the Gjallarhorn, Odin arms the fallen heroes (Einherjar) he's collected in Valhalla and rides out with them to do battle, Thor invariably faces the Midgard Serpent and they both die
    spoilers:
    Fear Itself did a kind of warped-out-of-context riff on this last year, including using the "nine steps" translation of the original prophesy from myth, which is not a recommendation for the piece--for Ragnarok done right in 2011, one needs the Hellboy trade The Storm and The Fury which is a TOTALLY different story!
    end of spoilers
    yadda, yadda. Long story short, "the earth will sink under fire and flood, to rise again anew". In the MU, for decades Odin tries different strategies to avert Ragnarok, Thor's death in particular, and fails. In Dissassembled, taking place after the death of Odin, Thor confronts the problem a bit more, erm, aggressively, sees through to what's going on, and basically manages to bring the roof down for the last time not only on his world and everyone in it, but on the forces that've been feeding off their suffering through these repeated cycles of destruction. He then goes to sleep in the Void of Nonexistence from which we see Donald Blake summoning him at the start of JMS' run.
    Mostly moved on to fanfiction.net...

one hundred ways to die Centipede Damascus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linkspirit97 View Post
    Someone explain the appeal of Cosmic stories to me?
    It's like if the characters in Star Wars were pretty much all superheroes that could fly in space and rip starships in half with their bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwalker View Post
    The short version is that Norse mythology has its own reboot button. All the gods died though it turned out later that they’d been wondering the Earth as amnesiac mortals (again). Thor went into the Odin …er … “Thorsleep”.

There are some great stories from before the JMS run but you don’t need to read them to understand it.

Dwayne McDuffie’s run is a direct continuation of the JMS run. It was pretty short but really underrated.

Then Mark Millar came along. His run didn’t go over very well with a lot of fans.

Jonathan Hickman is the current F4/FF writer and it would surprise me if he goes down as having one of the definitive F4 runs.

I’d say you have three choices.

Just read the Hickman run starting with “Dark Reign: Fantastic Four” so you can get caught up quickly.

Complete the JMS and McDuffie runs (and maybe Millar) before going into Hickman.

If you want a REALLY good introduction to the F4, go back a little before JMS and read the Mark Waid run.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL B.

Ive asked bout Secret Warriors on this forum once before to people not replying, but with the Omnibus just recently been published I'm lookin heavly into this series again, is it a good read? Or should I skip it I don't read many 616 books usually just Ultimate but Nick Fury has always been my favorite character, kinda the badass of any universe he's in. So thoughts? Worth buyin or skip?

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    Ive asked bout Secret Warriors on this forum once before to people not replying, but with the Omnibus just recently been published I'm lookin heavly into this series again, is it a good read? Or should I skip it I don't read many 616 books usually just Ultimate but Nick Fury has always been my favorite character, kinda the badass of any universe he's in. So thoughts? Worth buyin or skip?
    I have read the majority on Marvel Digital Comics unlimited and have really enjoyed it. I haven't read the end yet, but imagine it maintains the quality. It is a shame Stefano Caselli left though. He is such a great artist and I like it less after he leaves.
    Chew, Daredevil, Fatale, Mind The Gap, The Sixth Gun and The Walking Dead

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

you probably will want to check out the original X-Men: Age of Apocalypse crossover and possibly Claremont's X-Men: The End trilogy.
    Days of Future Past is a must.
    Also Messiah Complex is great - it culminates in X-Men Second Coming.

Hi, everyone!

I'm going to Universal Studios in a couple of weeks and I remember they have a rather large Marvel comics shop there, so what would be some good stuff to pick up while I'm there? Preferably trades/hardbacks, since I'm doing new issues on digital for the summer. I'll put a list of my favorite characters below and some of the books I have to set a baseline.

Favorite Characters:
    Captain America- (War and Remembrance, Reborn, Civil War tie-in, and I'm up to date on the current series)
    Daredevil- (Father, Daredevil Noir, Born Again, and I'm up to date on this series as well)
    Fantastic Four- I count them as one, since they don't each have separate series (JMS' vol. 1)
    Iron Fist
    Spider-Man (villains: the last incarnation of the Sinister Six had almost all of my favorites, less keen on Sandman and Doc Ock, and add Shocker to the list)- (Electro, Mysterio, and Rhino's Gauntlet chapters, Negative Exposure, Big Time, and I'm caught up on the current Amazing Spidey series)
    Honorable Mention: Black Panther

Teams
    Classic Avengers (preferably something not too continuity based)
    Secret Avengers (I have vols. 1 and 2)
    Ultimate X-Men (old and new, just got a boatload of single issues from both series)

Also, are any of the Season One books any good?
    Have an idea for a DC Team Theme? PM me, and I'll put it on the list!

So someone recently recommended for me to read the Annihilation event. Sadly, the collected editions are out of print and expensive. I have no clue if Marvel will every reprint this cosmic stuff. So what individual issues should I pick up? What should I read, I know nothing of Marvel's cosmic stuff. So i need some guidance

Also is there any chance they will reprint this stuff? It seems like the collected editions have been Out of Print for awhile now.
    "Ready When You Are" - Batman

Quote Originally Posted by nsiops View Post
    So someone recently recommended for me to read the Annihilation event. Sadly, the collected editions are out of print and expensive. I have no clue if Marvel will every reprint this cosmic stuff. So what individual issues should I pick up? What should I read, I know nothing of Marvel's cosmic stuff. So i need some guidance

Also is there any chance they will reprint this stuff? It seems like the collected editions have been Out of Print for awhile now.
    Annihilation Book 2 and Book 3 are still in print, and the main Annihilation miniseries is in Book 3. Book 1 is just a collection of prologue miniseries.

http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-B...s=annihilation

http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-B...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Is anything in the first book worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by nsiops View Post
    Is anything in the first book worth buying?
    I haven't actually read Annihilation so I can't answer your question, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggieleezy View Post
    Hi, everyone!

I'm going to Universal Studios in a couple of weeks and I remember they have a rather large Marvel comics shop there, so what would be some good stuff to pick up while I'm there? Preferably trades/hardbacks, since I'm doing new issues on digital for the summer. I'll put a list of my favorite characters below and some of the books I have to set a baseline.

Favorite Characters:
    Captain America- (War and Remembrance, Reborn, Civil War tie-in, and I'm up to date on the current series)
    Daredevil- (Father, Daredevil Noir, Born Again, and I'm up to date on this series as well)
    Fantastic Four- I count them as one, since they don't each have separate series (JMS' vol. 1)
    Iron Fist
    Spider-Man (villains: the last incarnation of the Sinister Six had almost all of my favorites, less keen on Sandman and Doc Ock, and add Shocker to the list)- (Electro, Mysterio, and Rhino's Gauntlet chapters, Negative Exposure, Big Time, and I'm caught up on the current Amazing Spidey series)

Teams
    Ultimate X-Men (old and new, just got a boatload of single issues from both series)

For Cap, Ed Brubaker's first run is great if you haven't read it.

For Daredevil, Bendis and Brubaker's runs. Also for single volumes I really enjoyed the two mini-series Daredevil: Redemption and Daredevil: Battlin' Jack Murdock.

Redemption is a story where Matt gets to be a lawyer for a change and is just a great comic. It was written by David Hine with art by Michael Gaydos. It tells the story of Matt trying to defend a boy accused of murder in the deep south of America. The boy is not exactly a Christian so the town is prejudiced against him. Although DD appears (ie the costume), it is not the focus. Matt is.

Battlin' Jack Murdock is a story about Daredevil's father. Written by Zeb Wells with art by Carmine di Giandomenico. The series is set around his final boxing match with flashbacks to his life and the events that led Jack to be in the ring and refuse to throw that fight (I can't imagine that is a spoiler). A really good story that highlights a character I think is the most important person in Matt's life.
    Chew, Daredevil, Fatale, Mind The Gap, The Sixth Gun and The Walking Dead

Veggieleezy

I'll second the Bendis run on DD. They have 3 Ultimate Collections that are out for Bendis and I think another 2 for Brubaker. I consider the Bendis and Brubaker runs essential to DD. Its really gritty and written like a TV show or movie. This is probably some of my favorite stories...ever!

Also, if you haven't read Iron Fist by Brubaker and Fraction I'd get on that too. Also the New Avengers AVX tie ins have alot to do with the Iron Fist history/mythos etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggieleezy View Post
    Hi, everyone!

Favorite Characters:
    Iron Fist

Teams

Hey! Here are some of my recommendations for the best stories for each of these characters.

Captain America
    Captain America: Man Out of Time
    Captain America: Operation Rebirth
    Captain America: To Serve and Protect
    Captain America: American Nightmare
    Captain America: Red Glare
    Captain America by Dan Jurgens vol 1-3

Avengers:
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes by Joe Casey
    Avengers Assemble vol 1-5 by Kurt Busiek
    Avengers: World Trust
    Avengers: Standoff
    Avengers: Red Zone
    Avengers: The Search for She-Hulk
    Mighty Avengers: Dark Reign

Fantastic Four:
    Fantastic Four by Waid & Wieringo Ultimate Collection, vol 1-4
    Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman vol 1-5
    FF by Jonathan Hickman vol 1-2

Iron Fist:
    Immortal Iron Fist vol 1-5 by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker and Duane Swiercyznski

Spider-Man:
    Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (AKA Spider-Man by Mark Millar Ultimate Collection)
    Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid

Black Panther:
    Black Panther vol 1: The Client
    Black Panther vol 2: Enemy of the State
    Secret Invasion: Black Panther
    Black Panther - The Most Dangerous Man Alive: The Kingpin of Wakanda

Secret Avengers:
    Fear Itself: Secret Avengers
    Secret Avengers vol 3: Run the Mission, Don't Get Caught, Save the World
    Secret Avengers vol 4: The Descendants

Yes, the Season One books are all excellent. They retell and update the origins quite well, and I've yet to be disappointed by one.