Page 55 of 335 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thank you to both of you for your input. I do appreciate it. I know it's kind of hard to recommend something to someone you don't know. I mean, I just joined these boards last night and already I'm asking you to make a judgment call on what I should be reading. But both of you provided solid info and I will take that into consideration when I decide what to buy and read.

Thanks again.

-b.

PS I think what I'm going to go for are Captain America, Iron Fist, and Criminal. I'll read the Spiderman One More Day arc too. I'll try to read the recommended trades to get caught up on the Universe when I have the time.
    Last edited by artrimbaud; 11-01-2007 at 01:48 AM.

There are a lot of things that can be suggested, from the whole marvel history. I will focus on some newer stories:

Millar's run on Spider-Man (12 issues, I think there is a HC with all of them)

All the Marvel Knights run on Daredevil. It is collected on TPBs. Brubaker is currently writing, but maybe you would like to read what happened before. You can however start DD form #94 and forth, that issue will give you some info.

Punisher MAX + Born + 3 one shots. This book is amazing, I really love it. It's up to #51, waiting for 52 now. The best stories (imo) are "In the beginning", "Up is down and black is white" and "The slavers". All the others are also good. Born was a mini (4 issues) about Frank Castle in Vietnam. There are 3 one shots, "The cell", where he goes in Ryker's and kills those that killed his family (very good), "The tyger", where we see him before Vietnam (good), and "The End", which is a "what if" kind of story (excellent)

Moon Knight. Just read #13, and if you like it go check the previous issues. It's a wonderful book

Grand Morison's New X-Men. All the issues are great (also collected in TPBs), except "Planet X", imo.

There are also some stories recently collected that you may found interesting.

Kraven's last hunt

Wolverine's weapon X

Miller's run on DD

Hulk the end
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Ok, cool. Thanks. I will give DD a shot at #94 and onwards, and I will give Moon Knight #13 a try too. And like I said, I'll try to read some of the TPB's when I have the time. I'm not sure if I'll go with the Punisher though. I don't want to get in over my head. :) Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated.

-b.

By the way, anyone have any suggestions before I go nuts on buying back issues as to where to start with Captain America, Iron Fist, and Criminal?

Thanks.

-b.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artrimbaud View Post
    By the way, anyone have any suggestions before I go nuts on buying back issues as to where to start with Captain America, Iron Fist, and Criminal?

Thanks.

-b.
    The ideal would be as #1. If you don't want to go that far now, you can begin on #25 for Cap. America, #6 for Criminal and #7 for Iron Fist.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Start with the classics. For $50, you can buy a DVD collection that covers 40+ years of Spider-man, the Avengers, Uncanny X-Men or the Fantastic Four. Every single cover, issue, and even letters page is included in those collections, I believe. Except that the Avengers collection is missing a few issues of Giant-Size Avengers, of which two were re-prints but the other three were new stories.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaos View Post
    Kraven's last hunt
    I'd second this recommendation for older issues. In my opinion, "Kraven's Last Hunt" is the best Spiderman storyline ever written.

Out of current comics, I'd suggest:

Nova
    Thunderbolts (#110-up)

I'd also highly suggest the 6-issue mini-series Annihilation, which came out last year, along with Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus #2........Or, you could just buy the hardcover collection of Annihilation which includes these & more, which is specifically Annihilation Book 3.

Another one from a year ago which was pretty good is Agents of Atlas.
    Last edited by Christopher Cross Is God; 11-01-2007 at 09:09 AM.

captain America is a must buy

get the captain america omnibus.

It collects issues 1-25, in an awesome hardcover! Perfect for people who missed the origional issues.

Thunderbolts is also a great read! You can also try Iron Man, it's pretty good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artrimbaud View Post
    Ok, cool. Thanks. I will give DD a shot at #94 and onwards, and I will give Moon Knight #13 a try too. And like I said, I'll try to read some of the TPB's when I have the time. I'm not sure if I'll go with the Punisher though. I don't want to get in over my head. :) Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated.

-b.
    For Daredevil you should start with #82 becasue starting with #82 you see daredevil in jail it is amazing and Brus best arc IMHO. You can start with Iron Fist #7 #8 and the annual are out the annual is part of the storyline. You can get IF 1-6 in tpb. Start w/ criminal #1 because A) The 1st arc is amazing and B) The criminal tpb leave out the text piecies in the back which talka bout noir and they are great reads. You can either get the Captain America Omnibus that ahs 1-25 or the 1st 4 or 5 trades.

For older stuff I would get some of the essentials which are 500 + page black and white books reprinting classic stories. I recomend avengers, x-men, spider-man, and fantastic four. I hear great things about Frank Millers Daredevil (Getting the omnibus soon :) ) and Grant Morrisons New X-Men. I hear Bendis' DD is good aswell. I personally love JMS' spidey run but not everyone likes it.
    Pull List: ASM AvSM Daredevil Cap Winter Soldier Hawkeye Avengers NA SA Defenders WatXM UXM X-Force Action Comics Batman Inc. Animal Man Swamp Thing JLD Fatale

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Start with the classics. For $50, you can buy a DVD collection that covers 40+ years of Spider-man, the Avengers, Uncanny X-Men or the Fantastic Four. Every single cover, issue, and even letters page is included in those collections, I believe. Except that the Avengers collection is missing a few issues of Giant-Size Avengers, of which two were re-prints but the other three were new stories.
    Those collections are good but if you read off of the computer screen too much your eyes could hurt. I think the spidey one skips the crossover issues in the 90s.
    Pull List: ASM AvSM Daredevil Cap Winter Soldier Hawkeye Avengers NA SA Defenders WatXM UXM X-Force Action Comics Batman Inc. Animal Man Swamp Thing JLD Fatale

Oh really? Haha, this is hilarious! They don't want so bad any reference to the clone saga?

Personally I feel The Immortal Iron Fist is one of the best Marvel has to offer and the trade collecting the first six issues just got released. It really shouldn't be all that hard to find issue #7-9 at your LCS and jump in.

Also I'd recommend reading the first Ultimates, which is now collected in trades, some truly awesome stuff

Amazing Spider-Girl is also a good read, if you don't mind going back through some of the trades to caught up with the history

So I did my Marvel shopping Wednesday and yesterday. Here's what I ended up getting:

Captain America #25-31
    Daredevil #94-101 plus the Annual
    Amazing Spiderman #544 (Part One of One More Day)
    Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman #24 (Part Two of One More Day)
    The Immortal Iron Fist #1-9 minus issue #3 plus the annual
    Fantastic 4 Vol 1
    Moon Knight #11-13
    Ultimate Spiderman #60-115 minus issue #62

I also ordered online the Captain America Omnibus Vol 1. (I bought issue #25 before I knew about this book)

Finally, though it is not Marvel, I bought Criminal #1-8

I think I did well with the exception of Ultimate Spiderman. I went way overboard with that title, as I so often do.

Anyway, this weekend I'm taking a break from studying, so I'm looking forward to some Marvel reading.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

-b.
    Last edited by artrimbaud; 11-02-2007 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Moon Knight