Page 145 of 335 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 5013

Exclamation Hello! I have a request...

I was really into comics when I was a kid but I stopped following them for a long time. But recently I've been really getting back into them. I was wondering if you kind folks could direct me to some comics to read. I want something that is easy to pick up and follow since I've been out of the game for a while.

I have issue 1 of the new Secret Avengers series and I'm loving it so far. I'm just looking for some more great reads!

Thanks,
    Gorlim

There's a Mega-Marvel recommendation thread this will probably get moved to but here are my stock recommendations:

Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker/Fraction
    Incredible Hercules/Heroic Age: Prince of Power by Pak/Van Lente
    Secret Warriors by Hickman (It's ok to skip the Thunderbolts crossover)
    J Michael Stracynzki's recent run on Thor
    Anything cosmic that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote (Especially Guardians of the Galaxy, Annihilation, War of Kings and Thanos Imperative)

For current ongoings:
    Secret Warriors by Hickman
    Taskmaster by Van Lente
    S.H.I.E.L.D. by Hickman
    Hawkeye and Mockingbird by McCann
    Wolverine by Jason Aaron

I enjoy many others, but these are the best pick up and reads for me.

Thumbs up

Fantastic Four - Retains old-school adventure, with more mind-warping.
    Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine - Time-warping, but old-school action and adventure.
    Thor - More serious in tone, but not hard to follow at all.
    The Thanos Imperative - Old-school space-blasting limited series.
    X-Men - A little violent, but with zesty artwork and old-school storytelling.
    Shadowland - Street-level "event" limited series with good twists.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Here's what's been going on in a few of the titles to catch you up:

Spider-Man: A few years ago Spider-man basically sold his marriage to Marvel's devil (Mephisto) in exchange for Aunt May's life. This sort of retconned the marriage out of existence; the current storyline is dealing with the 'how'.

The reasoning behind this is that Marvels EIC feels that the character is better served by not being married....

Hulk: Basically, a big storyline just ended. Basically, in the last few years Hulk got banished to another planet, became a hero and king there, but when things went sour he went back to earth to fight the heroes; then a ton of Hulk's showed up, and Banner was temporarily deHulked. Now the Hulk's back, and he's organized these Hulks-which include his wife, son, daughter, cousin and a few friends-into a sort of "Hulk" family. There is also a Red Hulk, Hulk's father-in-law. Yep, kind of complicated.

X-men: I haven't really followed the franchise recently but the team relocated to San Francisco for the most part, Magneto is a good guy (again)
    and they're now fighting vampires.

Pick up Amazing Spider-Man in November. The current arc and the next one coming up all deal with stuff that's happened in the past.

I'd also get Avengers and New Avengers - Marvel's current 'flagship' titles.

Reading the four issue mini 'Siege' would be the best thing to start out with though, since it basically starts up a new era for the entire Marvel universe (predominately the Avengers line).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Here's what's been going on in a few of the titles to catch you up:

Spider-Man: A few years ago Spider-man basically sold his marriage to Marvel's devil (Mephisto) in exchange for Aunt May's life. This sort of retconned the marriage out of existence; the current storyline is dealing with the 'how'.

The reasoning behind this is that Marvels EIC feels that the character is better served by not being married....

Hulk: Basically, a big storyline just ended. Basically, in the last few years Hulk got banished to another planet, became a hero and king there, but when things went sour he went back to earth to fight the heroes; then a ton of Hulk's showed up, and Banner was temporarily deHulked. Now the Hulk's back, and he's organized these Hulks-which include his wife, son, daughter, cousin and a few friends-into a sort of "Hulk" family. There is also a Red Hulk, Hulk's father-in-law. Yep, kind of complicated.

X-men: I haven't really followed the franchise recently but the team relocated to San Francisco for the most part, Magneto is a good guy (again)
    and they're now fighting vampires.

This is extremely helpful! I'm so far behind on everything.

BANNED

Stay away from Bendis' Avengers books...

Thor is pretty decent. But it might be hard to jump into without prior knowledge of what's been happening in recent years.

Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts was awesome. Collected in two TPBs. Faith in Monsters and Caged Angels.

Ed Brubakers Daredevil and Captain America runs were also excellent.

Deadpool (the main series, not the other 5 crappy books he has) is cool if you like meta-humour/satire and easy to pick up and read stories that are not needlessly stretched out over 10 issues like a lot of Marvel books these days. If you like old school 90s cartoons like Animaniacs and Freakazoid you'll love it.

But my biggest recommendations have gotta be Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy. Well, anything cosmic since Annihilation. Annihilation is probably the best comic book event this century... from both Marvel and DC. You MUST check it out. I'm positive you won't be disappointed. The current big cosmic event is The Thanos Imperative. Which so far has been great. It's only on issue 3 so you can maybe still get hold of the first 2 issues.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the TPB of Civil War... you will not regret it.

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago and now I'm caught up in a mess of worlds.
    Currently Reading: Any/everything Marvel Cosmic, Hawkeye, New Avengers, All New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    But my biggest recommendations have gotta be Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy. Well, anything cosmic since Annihilation. Annihilation is probably the best comic book event this century... from both Marvel and DC. You MUST check it out. I'm positive you won't be disappointed. The current big cosmic event is The Thanos Imperative. Which so far has been great. It's only on issue 3 so you can maybe still get hold of the first 2 issues.
    If this were Facebook I'd "like" this comment.
    Currently Reading: Any/everything Marvel Cosmic, Hawkeye, New Avengers, All New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by LL4E View Post
    Thanks for clarifying and it doesn't really matter what Cap stories, I just don't know of much except for Winter Soldier and Death.
    I would recommend the "CAPTAIN A/BLACK PANTHER" mini-series, a good story about Cap's first meeting with the Panther, taking place during WW2.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

can u recommend any sci-fi/fantasy genre comics?

or fantasy adventure set in the medieval times? and i'm not just referring to europe here, it can also be in asia.

if it's not from marvel, then it's okay.

i just want a break from superhero stuff.

i would prefer if it's a finished series (at least 6 issues would be great!)

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Party Pete View Post
    can u recommend any sci-fi/fantasy genre comics?

or fantasy adventure set in the medieval times? and i'm not just referring to europe here, it can also be in asia.

if it's not from marvel, then it's okay.

i just want a break from superhero stuff.

i would prefer if it's a finished series (at least 6 issues would be great!)
    You might like Marvel 1602.

Mice Templar from Image Comics is also great fun. Elephantmen is pretty cool.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    You might like Marvel 1602.

Mice Templar from Image Comics is also great fun. Elephantmen is pretty cool.
    i read marvel 1602 by neil gaiman, and i actually liked it.

but what i'm looking for is less superheroish.

mice templar? hmmm...animal characters doesn't really appeal to me.

same w/ elephantment, i'm intrigued w/ the concept but somehow, the character don't appeal to me.

can u suggest other series?

A lot of people enjoy the Dark Tower and Oz series. Alias and the Pulse fit your description well.

They're not from Marvel but...

Walking Dead and Morning Glories from Image are good stuff.

Also, a lot of Vertigo is good/or is supposed to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by andybmcd View Post
    A lot of people enjoy the Dark Tower and Oz series. Alias and the Pulse fit your description well.

They're not from Marvel but...

Walking Dead and Morning Glories from Image are good stuff.

Also, a lot of Vertigo is good/or is supposed to be good.
    i read walking dead in the past, but the i stopped.

and morning glories? i read the 1st issue, and i'm waiting for the 2nd issue now. i like stories set in a school.

here's what i'm currently reading:
    uncanny x-men
    x-men legacy
    new mutants
    x-factor
    shadowland issues
    punishermax

and not from marvel:
    house of mystery (kinde like a fantasy)
    green arrow (superhero book, but right now it doesn't feel like a superhero book)
    and some other limited series...