View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

8 5.37%
  • Metallica

33 22.15%
  • Slayer

11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

9 6.04%
  • Pantera

4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

10 6.71%
Page 4 of 212 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    and here's And Justice For All. Which was played absolutely wonderfully:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xr8TmH5Eg
    Man, that is truly the best I've heard them sounding since the 90's, and yes it is a badass version of Justice....man, this really raises my hopes for the new album, they're all playing wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
    My thoughts on Metallica? I liked them a lot more before I saw that fucking movie.
    Whoa what a coincidence, those were my thoughts too. I'm not sure how anyone that rich should be that depressed...

Quote Originally Posted by Man In Black View Post
    Whoa what a coincidence, those were my thoughts too. I'm not sure how anyone that rich should be that depressed...
    It's not even the being depressed; it's the crying and hugging and "what about my needs?" pussy bullshit.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

It's not even the being depressed; it's the crying and hugging and "what about my needs?" pussy bullshit.
    The only way to save Metallica is if James gets back drinking and becomes a dickhead again. He wrote brillant stuff when he was angry and pissed .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Veteran Member

Funny that nowadays bands like Slayer, Exodus and to a lesser degree Megadeth are the ones making the thrash Metallica should be doing in the studio. When in the 80s Metallica was reigning all around. Could the next studio album be their last chance to silence critics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbido View Post
    Funny that nowadays bands like Slayer, Exodus and to a lesser degree Megadeth are the ones making the thrash Metallica should be doing in the studio. When in the 80s Metallica was reigning all around. Could the next studio album be their last chance to silence critics?
    To be fair, they did give speeding up the music and making it more aggressive a shot with St. Anger....the production just completely fucked it up from top to bottom to the point the speed didn't even matter. I always said slap a little production on that album and it would've been a very respectable metal effort. Maybe not a classic, but good.

Now I think they've gotten the point. They never thought their fanbase would leave them, and the backlash from St. Anger woke them up a bit, opened their eyes to reality: "Holy shit, if we make bad music, fans WILL leave us"...and because of that the new album will have all the aggression and speed of St. Anger, with a helluva lot more production (snare in tune, some friggin' solos in the songs) and not the cut+paste, Pro-Tools feel Stanger fell into...

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    Decided that this forum needs a Metal thread, and since we've been discussing far outside of Metallica on this one, I figured why not run with it and just make this the all-around Heavy Metal thread
    Try not to forget my Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Update thread.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

My thoughts on Metallica? I liked them a lot more before I saw that fucking movie.
    Metallica - Like them through first two albums. (Love Fade To Black). Love them from Master Of Puppets through the Black album. Like them with Load and Reload. FUCKING DESPISE THEM ALL THANKS TO THAT ABORTION OF AN ALBUM CALL ST. ANGER.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Disturbed- Can actually pull off some pretty intricate arrangements, and while sometimes Draimans voice can get a little old, I'll admit he does put some pretty interesting vocal hooks over Donegans quirky riffs.
    doesn't help is that daron Malakian seems incapable of tuning his guitars to E.
    For me, Disturbed is the one band in the nu-metal genre that I truly love.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    Nu-metal is frigging dead as a doornail, although the best is definitely Sevendust, who are always moving forward, and combining great riffs with excellent vocals and lyrics from Witherspoon.
    I tried to get into Sevendust. I really liked the song "Enemy" but when I bought the album it was on, the CD was okay, but nothing really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbido View Post
    I think the album may quiet the critics down a bit if it is a return to the sound (and production levels) that made the band what they were before St. Craptastic and a Half was released. I don't think it will ever completely silence them even if they come up with another album worthy of comparison to Master or And Justice.
    I'm on Twitter

Anybody get the new Slayer?
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

To be fair, they did give speeding up the music and making it more aggressive a shot with St. Anger....the production just completely fucked it up from top to bottom to the point the speed didn't even matter. I always said slap a little production on that album and it would've been a very respectable metal effort. Maybe not a classic, but good.

Now I think they've gotten the point. They never thought their fanbase would leave them, and the backlash from St. Anger woke them up a bit, opened their eyes to reality: "Holy shit, if we make bad music, fans WILL leave us"...and because of that the new album will have all the aggression and speed of St. Anger, with a helluva lot more production (snare in tune, some friggin' solos in the songs) and not the cut+paste, Pro-Tools feel Stanger fell into...

I like the experiment they tried here. But its clear that the band was going for a stripped down production ala the White Stripes and it didn't work. Metallica isn't the type of band that can do this.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Anybody get the new Slayer?
    Yeah. It was boring. Cultist was the only thing close to good. What are they on now, decent death metal album and 7 albums that rehash the same riffs with different words on top? Slayer really do need to change their image, because the satanist thing is really boring at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I like the experiment they tried here. But its clear that the band was going for a stripped down production ala the White Stripes and it didn't work. Metallica isn't the type of band that can do this.
    Listen To Killing is my Business... by Megadeth, its a solid thrash effort with next to no production. I think when they decided to go with no production someone,like erm...maybe a producer - but then again they didnt have one because Bob Rock had to concentrate on playing Bass, its THAT demanding - should have told them that that also meant no ProTools.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The only way to save Metallica is if James gets back drinking and becomes a dickhead again. He wrote brillant stuff when he was angry and pissed .
    People at the recent concerts said James is as aggressive as he ever was, if not more.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Yeah, Slayer is boring as hell now. Seriously, I can't tell half their songs apart, and part of that is my fault, given that I can't be arsed to listen to them.

Seriously, their greatest work was Diabolus in Musica. It's fast, ferocious, and actually treads into what was new territory for them at the time.

As for James and the movie... good god that movie sucks. It's so poorly constructed and edited so as to only to appeal to idiots like me who were watching the "in the studio" clips that were posted online while they were making St. Anger. It also makes them look like complete emo-tards, when in actuality they're all complex human beings with different dimensions to their personalities. James is a ferocious metal god, but he's also a family man. Kirk is a wicked guitarist, but he's also got his own feelings and concerns.

And, well, Lars is still an asswipe, either way.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    And, well, Lars is still an asswipe, either way.
    Correction, he is an asswipe with an art collection, please people, every time you download a song Lars cant buy some highbrow piece of shit, think?