View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

    36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

    27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

    6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

    8 5.37%
  • Metallica

    33 22.15%
  • Slayer

    11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

    5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

    9 6.04%
  • Pantera

    4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

    10 6.71%
Page 3 of 212 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 3171
  1. #31
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLazy View Post
    Mastodon got a lot of flak from fans about selling out with the eclectic styles, so what do they do, sell out some more.
    I guess one could argue that Mastodon "sold out." However, in the strictest sense of the phrase, I think one would have a tough argument to follow. That is, how has Mastodon become anymore radio friendly with their major label debut?

  2. #32
    Hows about no... TheLazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In your hearts, in your minds
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I guess one could argue that Mastodon "sold out." However, in the strictest sense of the phrase, I think one would have a tough argument to follow. That is, how has Mastodon become anymore radio friendly with their major label debut?
    I mean that purely in the sense that they are no longer a definitive sludge metal band, hell some songs on Leviathan and Blood Mountain you'd be hard pressed to pigeonhole into a genre. Thats whats great about them. remember back in the day nobody thought that you could put a strong melodic passage in the middle of a thrash song, and no one thought that songs about mental illness could catch on like songs about the devil.

    :)

  3. #33
    beethe-who? Brad Barton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Mastodon comes out on their first major label record and records insanely progressive three-minute growl and guitar fests, complete with drumming that almost spirals out of control. It's almost as if they want to lose their record deal. That's metal.
    lol, Word.

  4. #34
    beethe-who? Brad Barton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead;5022024[B
    Which bassist was best, Cliff, Jason or Rob?[/B]
    Cliff was something special, but Jason did some awesome Basswork with Voivod. It's a shame he didn't get to showcase his talent in Metallica. Rob hasn't officially recorded anything with them yet. I'll go with Cliff since not many Bassists could have pulled off Anesthesia.
    That is a bit of a loaded question, I'll admit, as there aren't many bass players in history to hold a candle to Cliff....once they get to that talent level, it's a pretty exclusive club, y'know?

  5. #35
    Loading cactusmaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Forever Becoming - Pelican
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Not really a fan of Trivium and Mastodon. Trivium just don't sound very special and Mastodon bore me. Red Sparowes, High On Fire and Isis are more to my liking.

    Was thinking of going to see Metallica but I already saw Megadeth and work demands will keep me away from London for a while.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

  6. #36
    Hows about no... TheLazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In your hearts, in your minds
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    Not really a fan of Trivium and Mastodon. Trivium just don't sound very special and Mastodon bore me. Red Sparowes, High On Fire and Isis are more to my liking.

    Was thinking of going to see Metallica but I already saw Megadeth and work demands will keep me away from London for a while.
    I think Isis' main problem is that they are ahead of their time. Maybe in 10 years they'll become one of those cult bands like Refused or The Misfits, but I don't see anything happening this decade.

    :)

  7. #37
    beethe-who? Brad Barton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Decided that this forum needs a Metal thread, and since we've been discussing far outside of Metallica on this one, I figured why not run with it and just make this the all-around Heavy Metal thread

  8. #38
    Hows about no... TheLazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In your hearts, in your minds
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    Decided that this forum needs a Metal thread, and since we've been discussing far outside of Metallica on this one, I figured why not run with it and just make this the all-around Heavy Metal thread
    I think that was decided the moment you posted the thread dude (see what I did there;) ), considering that Metallica haven't released a metal album for the better part of two decades, and that they were the driving force in metal before that, it's only natural that modern comparisons will be made.

    Since we're broadening this discussion, what are peoples thoughts of Nu-metal? A year or so ago, I was with the masses in thinking that nu-metal was metal's inbred cousin that is usually best to disown, but I think that now a period is coming where I'm starting to appreciate the true innovators again, bands like Linkin Park and System of a Down.

    :)

  9. #39
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    My thoughts on Metallica? I liked them a lot more before I saw that fucking movie.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  10. #40
    beethe-who? Brad Barton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLazy View Post
    I think that was decided the moment you posted the thread dude (see what I did there;) ),
    I swear, as I read that, I heard Walters voice sayin' it...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLazy View Post
    Since we're broadening this discussion, what are peoples thoughts of Nu-metal? A year or so ago, I was with the masses in thinking that nu-metal was metal's inbred cousin that is usually best to disown, but I think that now a period is coming where I'm starting to appreciate the true innovators again, bands like Linkin Park and System of a Down.

    :)
    Yes, I agree that "Nu-Metal" bands are routinely dumped on by people into more hardcore and underground stuff, but I don't think they're SO bad, at least not all of them. bands like Disturbed, Linkin Park and Godsmack have a lot of aggression, they're just not pure aggression.

    I try to find the best in any music I listen to, and rarely is it hard for me to find some good quality in anything I listen to (but most Rap is shite). For instance I can listen to a few Limp Bizkit songs that aren't too bad, but that's not necessarily saying I'm a fan.

    So yeah, as with any genre, Nu-Metal has some good, and some bad. I can tell you who i thought were the best to come out of the whole movement (if you wanna call it that)

    Creed- More for Tremonti's riffs than anything else, early Creed had some excellent riffage going on.

    Godsmack- No bullshit, pure, dumb metal. That doesn't try to be anything else.

    Disturbed- Can actually pull off some pretty intricate arrangements, and while sometimes Draimans voice can get a little old, I'll admit he does put some pretty interesting vocal hooks over Donegans quirky riffs.

    Korn- I wouldn't really label Nu-Metal, IMO they've transcended that label, even though they are accused of being one of the bands who kicked it off....I like some of their stuff, and though there's not much diversity, I'll admit the band has a powerful and unique sound all it's own that no other band has quite been able to duplicate.

    System of a Down- Are great and extremely original, possibly the most original metal band to emerge in this decade. Een though they;re lumped in with the Nu-Metal croud, I'm not sure I'd consider them that. One thing that doesn't help is that daron Malakian seems incapable of tuning his guitars to E.

    Linkin Park- Bubble gum, but semi-smart bubble gum. I can stomach most of their stuff, and even find myself singing their songs every now and then, but they're definitely a one-trick pony.

    There are a few other good ones, but none worth raving about in any way...I'd consider those the primary of the "genre".
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 06-28-2007 at 11:04 PM.

  11. #41
    More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,137

    Default

    Nu-metal is frigging dead as a doornail, although the best is definitely Sevendust, who are always moving forward, and combining great riffs with excellent vocals and lyrics from Witherspoon.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

    - "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

    - "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

    - "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

  12. #42
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Has any album that's taken that long to make ever been any good?
    Its taken Axl 16 years (well he had tons of changover and all from 1994-1997...so 1998-2007 is 9 years thus far) to make a followup to Use your Illusion. And the leaks according to most are pretty damn good and show a huge change he's undergone.

    To answer the questions....

    What are your thoughts on the new album?

    I've heard 2 songs thus far. One has the classic Metallica intro with great guitar work and all. The other has James Hetfield yodeling for so many minutes until he remembers he's in f-cking Metallica , not U2. So it remains un-even for me.

    Did you like their last album (St. Anger)?

    No....and I'll be a lot nicer. The band was experiminting with a new sound and new focus. They were trying to make a stripped down record in the mold of the White Stripes I think. But they really let people down since Metallica isn't the White Stripes and can't do that type of production...as we saw they tried and it wasn't well.

    What's your favorite Metallica song?

    Its most likely "One" . I really love that song and "King Nothing" is a close second. I think that song parallels Metallica so well with how they've fallen.

    Do you subscribe to the school of "Metallica sold out"?\

    They sold out the moment they turned on their fans in the worst fashion in 2000. And those fans helped build them and odds are attended concerts ect ect. They helped put money in the bands pockets and now their thieves ? Fuck you and the horse you rode in on Lars.

    Do you prefer new or old Metallica?

    Old Metallica from 1987-1999 really. They put out some great enjoyable albums and rocked . They would change things up and it would work. The album they did with the Orchestra was pretty awesome I always felt.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 06-29-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  13. #43
    Come and See... 4thHorseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    The last two setlists Metallica played the last three nights (I believe)

    01. Creeping Death
    02. For Whom The Bell Tolls
    03. Ride The Lightning
    04. Disposable Heroes
    05. The Unforgiven
    06. ...And Justice For All (in full)
    07. The Memory Remains
    08. The Four Horsemen
    09. Orion
    10. Fade To Black
    11. Master Of Puppets
    12. Battery
    - - - -
    13. Sad But True
    14. Nothing Else Matters
    15. One
    16. Enter Sandman
    - - - -
    17. Am I Evil?
    18. Seek And Destroy

    and


    Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    The Four Horsemen
    The Memory Remians
    The Unforgiven
    Battery
    Master of Puppets
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Disposable Heroes
    Leper Messiah
    Orion
    Damage, Inc.
    - - - -
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - - -
    The Other New Song
    Seek and Destroy

  14. #44
    beethe-who? Brad Barton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    The last two setlists Metallica played the last three nights (I believe)

    01. Creeping Death
    02. For Whom The Bell Tolls
    03. Ride The Lightning
    04. Disposable Heroes
    05. The Unforgiven
    06. ...And Justice For All (in full)
    07. The Memory Remains
    08. The Four Horsemen
    09. Orion
    10. Fade To Black
    11. Master Of Puppets
    12. Battery
    - - - -
    13. Sad But True
    14. Nothing Else Matters
    15. One
    16. Enter Sandman
    - - - -
    17. Am I Evil?
    18. Seek And Destroy

    and


    Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    The Four Horsemen
    The Memory Remians
    The Unforgiven
    Battery
    Master of Puppets
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Disposable Heroes
    Leper Messiah
    Orion
    Damage, Inc.
    - - - -
    Sad But True
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - - -
    The Other New Song
    Seek and Destroy
    Awesome, I had completely forgotten they were back on tour (even though I myself posted it here a few days ago...short term memory loss.) till I saw this post.

    Can't wait for the inevitable Youtube videos and bootlegs....I wonder if the "other new song" thats mentioned in this setlist is a variation of the one we've all heard, or the exact same one?

    Really sucks the way they don't give Load or Reload any live props at all...those albums had a lot of killer tunes on them, and Metallica seem ashamed to play them live...

  15. #45
    Come and See... 4thHorseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    Awesome, I had completely forgotten they were back on tour (even though I myself posted it here a few days ago...short term memory loss.) till I saw this post.

    Can't wait for the inevitable Youtube videos and bootlegs....I wonder if the "other new song" thats mentioned in this setlist is a variation of the one we've all heard, or the exact same one?

    Really sucks the way they don't give Load or Reload any live props at all...those albums had a lot of killer tunes on them, and Metallica seem ashamed to play them live...
    Theres already youtube videos from the first date, the second was just played today, so probably have to wait a little for those:

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

    and here's And Justice For All. Which was played absolutely wonderfully:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xr8TmH5Eg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •