View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

8 5.37%
  • Metallica

33 22.15%
  • Slayer

11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

9 6.04%
  • Pantera

4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

10 6.71%
Page 209 of 212 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3172

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    You know what, though? It's really not that clear-cut, and I think it has a lot to do with the specific sounds. Biggest example - Pantera on CfH and VDoP. Phil Anselmo sings part of the time, but almost all of the vocals are a militaristic bark/shout/screamish sound that is certainly not just singing and isn't quite full-on screaming/shredding. It's like he found the perfect balance of the tried-and-true scream-sing....and then pushed the boundaries even further but still made it work. For me, early mainstream Pantera is the absolute limit of vocals I can say I actively like or enjoy. Anything further is strictly in tolerate territory.
    Exactly. Just because I don't prefer extreme death grunts doesn't mean I can only withstand Perry Como, there are varying shades of "dirty" between the two, from John Lennon/Mick Jagger smokey/bluesy style to Lemmy/Hetfield melodic growls to Anselmo's pseudo melodic grunts. Vocal stylings with not even a hint of melody just tend to be a shade too far for me.

I can also appreciate bands that juxtapose soft melodic singing with death grunts, Opeth being a good example. There just has to be something there to offset the sheer animal brutality, otherwise it tends to wear me down quickly.
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 10-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barton View Post
    Vocal stylings with not even a hint of melody just tend to be a shade too far for me.....There just has to be something there to offset the sheer animal brutality, otherwise it tends to wear me down quickly.
    This. For me, at least. I like the militaristic bark. I like shouting, not screaming. Anyway, we've beaten this horse to death metal. I'm sorry.

Since Queensryche's silly battle is all over the place, I thought I'd throw this out there: Am I the only one who thinks Queensryche peaked with their self titled EP? Don't get me wrong, I love Mindcrime and think it's a great rock album, but man, that first EP is just pure perfect heavy metal.

Yeah, I saw a lot of the drama. Crazy! First Dream Theater, now these guys. This are like epic high school breakups on drugs. Honestly, though, for whatever reason and due to the sheer volume of music out there, I managed to miss Queensryche over the years. Based on your comment, I'm going to listen to them at work today (thank you, Spotify). Starting with the first album, and so far, you're right. Straight-up classic heavy metal! Mindcrime is next.

One thing I love about this thread and just generally the ridiculous amount of great music that has already been recorded is there is so much to discover that's great and new to you. Thanks for bringing this up!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Man View Post
    Since Queensryche's silly battle is all over the place, I thought I'd throw this out there: Am I the only one who thinks Queensryche peaked with their self titled EP? Don't get me wrong, I love Mindcrime and think it's a great rock album, but man, that first EP is just pure perfect heavy metal.
    Nope you're not the only one.

Listening to a lot of late 70s/early 80s Motorhead, I always come back to this line up of the band. Love 'em.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

I can remember buying that EP on vinyl when it first came out. Great stuff.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I heard the EP back when I was a little kid, but never knew what it was. However, Operation:mindcrime is the greatest album they've ever done.

They used to be my favorite band until the Q2K album came out. I used to buy their albums on cassette and CD (back when they were still making cassettes of course. I saw them 6 times in concert. But all this stuff with the split has soured me on the band a bit.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

It's me kids try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJCZvJ16F4 <----------Walkways and there song Thoughts
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

Sabbath way above the others listed in the poll imo

Quote Originally Posted by terri100 View Post
    Sabbath way above the others listed in the poll imo
    Unless you're of the mind that Sabbath is just way above every other metal band in history period, I don't see how. They're amongst many of the most highly esteemed metal bands ever on that poll.

I've recently discovered The Sword. I reaaaally dig those guys. They really have the slow heavy groove of early Sabbath with a more melodic and heavier sound. Anybody else know them?

Mates look what i found here ---->>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaJlEyTJ2c<-----J.A.F.F.A band from russia
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

Wow, I can't believe how quiet it is with two major metal releases right around the corner. The first song off of Megadeth's next album was just leaked, and Sabbath started playing one of their new ones live and is streaming another. Videos below. Thoughts??
    The Sabbath songs remind of their first album, so it's good. There's a pretty good interview with Ozzy on the recording process, too. Megadeth song....ehhh, not so much. It's really garbage. It sounds like a generic 80s power-pop ballad but Dave does NOT have the chops to pull it off. It would probably sound a lot better from someone like Foreigner.

Black Sabbath - "End of the Beginning."
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...ning_live.html

Black Sabbath - "God is Dead?"
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...d_is_dead.html

Megadeth - "Super Collider"
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...tle_track.html
    Last edited by ImpulseUCF; 04-22-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added one more Sabbath song

I don't mind the pain Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Via Slayer's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/slayer?hc_location=timeline

"Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)"

I'm at a loss for words right now... RIP Jeff.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, Frankenstein Alive Alive, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy in Hell, King Conan: The Conquerer, Minimum Wage, Stray Bullets: Killers

I saw! So random and out of the blue! I thought he was recovering from the spider thing. The reports say he died from liver failure. Is there any word on whether its due to complications for the bite, or is it unrelated? Tragic. RIP, Mr. Hanneman.