View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

8 5.37%
  • Metallica

33 22.15%
  • Slayer

11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

9 6.04%
  • Pantera

4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

10 6.71%
Page 104 of 212 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 3171

Awesome show. Dave played his guts out. Crowd was very hot throughout. New guitarist is pretty good, has a lot more stage presence than Glen Drover.
    Last edited by cactusmaac; 02-24-2008 at 04:55 AM.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I'm back into more metal after 3 years of almost exclusively Opeth and Meshuggah. How many Albums do you get in a year?
    From that year? No more than three, I think. Old metal albums, it can be much more.

Quote Originally Posted by jsp View Post
    I heard some samples of the Megadeth "Warchest Box Set", and really like it.
    Now I want more!
    Which Megadeth album would you recommend to me?
    Cryptic Writings and Countdown to Extinction for accesible stuff.

Peace Sells and Rust In Peace for old-school thrash.

I prefer Peace Sells, overall.

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

So Far, So Good, So What and Peace Sells...for me. Rust in Peace, I like from start to finish, but the raw energy emanating from the former kick me in muh sweet niblets every time.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Now I want more!
    I would say Youthanasia. It's not Megadeth's thrashiest or heaviest, but it's the album that got me into Megadeth. Although Peace Sells... and Rust in Peace seems to be the two "must" have albums, they never did anything for me except for a few songs. Youthanasia however is catchy, Dave's voice is superior than in any other album imo, catchy riffs, etc. I think if you start with something like Youthanasia, you'll be more interested than if you pick up one of the other albums and get turned off by them.

Now I want more!
    Get their greatest hits album, Back To The Start. From that you should be able to pick the albums you want more exposure to.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Hey guys, I had a fun idea. Not too long ago, BoosterBroze started a "Top 100 Movies" thread under the premise that it was completely at random, anyone could participate, and once placed, none of the choices could be taken back (a couple of you here remember that, I think...)

Anyway, I thought that was fun, so what the hell, let's do our "Top 100 Metal Albums" right here (thread needs a shot in the arm anyway)...the only "rules" are once an album has been placed on the list, it can't be removed. If someone puts Paranoid or Master of Puppets at #98, that's it's placement.

Anyway, not a hard concept to grasp, so I'll start with #100

100. SEPULTURA - Beneath the Remains

Their first and most ferocious abum, I don't think many people realize how hardcore Sepultura were when they started. Some later releases were good, tobe sure, but IMO they went slightly but steadily downhill after BTR.

Okay, so we're off. Not everyone's list and album placement will mesh, so this should be interesting if nothing else. ;)
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 02-25-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Yes, they do. It just kind of got swept under the rug as Chaos A.D. and Roots took over.

Then, the darkening, but that's okay. The universe has realigned, and the Cavalera brothers are back together.

And any metal fan is due at least one old skool Sepultura album, be it Morbid Vision, Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, or Arise.

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Quote Originally Posted by DWEarhart View Post
    Yes, they do. It just kind of got swept under the rug as Chaos A.D. and Roots took over.
    Right, which is kind of a shame, because although both Chaos A.D. and Roots were way more important to Sep's career, they peaked musically with their first album.

Granted, I haven't heard much of their recent material, but I'd be very surprised if any of it held a candle to Beneath the Remains.

It doesn't. A talented new lineup, but, to my ears, the newest incarnation of Sepultura sucks. But, in my opinion, Soulfly sucked too. Sepultura should change the name.

Just like Motley Crue should've changed their name when John Corabi came on board. STILL my favorite album from the Crue next to Too Fast For Lov and Shout at the Devil. They sunk to sucksville until Dr. Feelgood, in my opinion. Getting rid of Vince Neil and signing John Corabi gave them their ballz back.

John Corabi singing Shout at the Devil is a gorgeous thing to hear.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

I like the idea of a top metal album thread, but...

100 albums seems like too much, and the idea that one can't be removed seems silly, given that any jackass can suggest something terrible, like Limp Bizkit, and it's stuck on there forever. I also like the debate that occurs when you have to add and remove stuff. And it should probably get its own thread.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    I like the idea of a top metal album thread, but...

100 albums seems like too much, and the idea that one can't be removed seems silly, given that any jackass can suggest something terrible, like Limp Bizkit, and it's stuck on there forever. I also like the debate that occurs when you have to add and remove stuff. And it should probably get its own thread.
    Well, one of the reasons I liked Booster's "version" is because it was quick, and meant to be taken rather tongue in cheek. I see what you're talking about though...a "Top 50 Metal albums" thread a la "Top 25 guitarists". I'm hesitant to go to that length, because it just seems like those types of threads tend to spiral into so much bickering and pretention. That's why I liked the idea of "no take-backs", sure as hell makes things a lot more spontaneous.

I dunno, I still think it's a good idea either way. What's everyone else's opinion? Do we need a Top 50 Metal albums thread? I'm thinking we'd get pretty much the same crowd as we get on this thread anyway, but...could be fun.

First of all thank you so much for all your album recommendations!
    Now my i-pod is fed with loads of Megadeth songs ;)

I like the idea of a "top 50 Metal albums" countdown.
    I'd say 50 is a good number to sum up all the important metal treasures.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

If anyone puts MOP BELOW #1, I'll kill him/her.

No... I will torture the bastard until he/she begs me to kill her/him. Then I will, but I will continue to torture her/him in the darkest pits of Hell for all of eternity.

:)
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    Right, which is kind of a shame, because although both Chaos A.D. and Roots were way more important to Sep's career, they peaked musically with their first album.

Granted, I haven't heard much of their recent material, but I'd be very surprised if any of it held a candle to Beneath the Remains.
    Agreed. I listened to Nation, and I can honestly say that it sucks.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Now you've gone and opened the floodgates. ;) Answers will surely vary, but I would say absolute essentials are Rust in Peace, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, Countdown to Extinction, The System has Failed. I mean, bare minimum. You would be doing yourself a disservice to skip Cryptic Writings or So Far, So Good, So What, too. United Abominations is solid... I would just say skip Risk and The World Needs Hero. There is nothing you "need" to hear on either one. :) Youthanasia is my next least fave, but Friedman's solos alone are almost worth the price of admission.

But yeah, Rust, Countdown, Peace Sells and System are essential!
    Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    There's also a song called "In My Darkest Hour" that is a must hear. It's stuck in the middle of a not-so-great album (So Far, So Good...So What), but it's one of their best songs.
    Well, I think we disagree for the second time in the history of the metal thread...I think So Far, So Good...So What is a fantastically underrated album. I love it from start to finish, even more than Peace Sells. Peace Sells just has so many of the essential classics, though, it slightly edges it out overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    St. Anger's flaws have been well-documented and discussed many places, including here, but I will fight anyone who tries to say that the Unnamed Feeling is a bad song.
    No need to fight. I totally agree. Tracks 4 - 9 or 10 do it for me on that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    Awesome show. Dave played his guts out. Crowd was very hot throughout. New guitarist is pretty good, has a lot more stage presence than Glen Drover.
    Dave is AWESOME live. I never was a huge fan of Drover, but he is far better live than in studio. I don't like any of the solos he wrote except for the one on Never Walk Alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    I would say Youthanasia. It's not Megadeth's thrashiest or heaviest, but it's the album that got me into Megadeth.
    See, I wonder if it being your first is why you love it so much. I think it is the most mediocre of their "prime" albums, underwhelming in just about every way except the solos. Marty Friedman could play over anything and make it awesome. I don't know, the tempo was dull and slow, the guitars sounded like shit, the songs were dull...eh, just didn't do much for me.