View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

8 5.37%
  • Metallica

33 22.15%
  • Slayer

11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

9 6.04%
  • Pantera

4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

10 6.71%
Page 27 of 212 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Speaking of Arch Enemy, what do you people think of the band's decision to rerecord their earlier material with Angela's vocals? I haven't listened to those albums, but do you think think is worth the time?

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

Anthrax and Iced Earth pulled it off well enough, as did Testament. It's worth look, I'd say.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Veteran Member

Anthrax and Iced Earth pulled it off well enough, as did Testament. It's worth look, I'd say.
    Anthrax has been with Bush for years so it kinda make sense and Testament wasn't satisfied with the unremastered first albums. Why did Iced Earth do it?

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

John Schaffer thought that the new technology could bring the old stuff up to the standard that had been intended. Having Matthew Barlow re-record the old vocals was cool. I dig his voice alot, and am really looking forward to his recordings with Pyramaze.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbido View Post
    Speaking of Arch Enemy, what do you people think of the band's decision to rerecord their earlier material with Angela's vocals? I haven't listened to those albums, but do you think think is worth the time?
    I first got into Arch Enemy with Liiva singing, and he was in the band the first two times I saw them live. I like the old albums the way they are.

On the plus side, if they re-record them, then I guess they'll start playing more songs from the first three albums in concert. This September will be the 8th time I've seen them, and it would be cool to hear some early songs other than The Immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    These guys and Trivium really made the right move by ditching the screaming for actual singing. Screaming is good for what it is, and there are instances where it can really enhance an album or a song, but it should *not* be your main vocal style.
    100% complete agreement. Screaming is a spice or an accent and is best used sparingly to add emphasis or make a point. When you try to do that for the whole song, it's just too much. It's the musical equivalent of dumping two cans of salt on your eggs in the morning. Unpleasant at best, toxic at worst. :)
    As far as A7x, I had never even heard of them till I went to make a tribute CD to Dimebag, basically making a compilation of every song written for him after his death, and discovered they had written a song called "Betrayed" that was about the whole incident. So I checked it out, thought it was extremely cool, then got the rest of the album.
    That was a tribute to Dime?? Huh. Good to know. I had no idea, but I'm glad as that is one of the stronger songs on the album. Great opening riff.
    I found out way later that Bat Country was an extremely cheesy MTv vid, and every kid under the age of 16 was suddenly naming them their fav. band. Luckily for me, I found I liked them before outside trends had a chance to influence me one way or the other, so I'm okay with it. ;)
    Hehe yeah. I'm glad I heard them before I saw them. The singer looked like a complete tool-bag. Ugh. The music is great, though.

Arch-Enemy
    They put on a killer live show, and that little girl can GROWL. While those vocals aren't my cup of tea, I have to tip my hat to her for the sheer ability to scream like a monster. The musicianship is incredible, too. I saw them at Gigantour opening for Opeth, Lamb of God, and MEGADETH!!!

Alright everyone: Best Live metal Show you've ever been to

I'll start: Metallica (big surprise there) - San Antonio (Retama Park) - 1998: I've been to many awesome Live metal shows, ranging from Stadium gigs all the way down to club gigs, and I must say this was one rowdy fucking show. there were at least 60,000-75,000 ppl in attendance (which is big even for a Metallica show) and it was ALL General Admission, no seating whatsoever, as the "arena" was basically just a huge, open field.
    Man, you've never seen such a rolling, insane crowd. There were pits from the front of the stage all the way back to the concession stands, the crowd was just roiling on top of each other. I and a few friends I went with managed to make our way up to the front of the stage, even though we arrived so late we completely missed the opening acts (Jerry Cantrell and Days of the New, if memory serves) and got into the front/center pit. I ended up getting my shirt ripped completely off, not to mention got a black eye from some HUGE guy's flailing elbow. I mean, I'm no small fry myself (about 6'0", 235) and some of the guys in this pit were just dwarfing me.
    The band were just really on that night, too...I think they played 3+ hours because they just didn't want to stop....best show ever.

Oddly enough, the second best Metal show I ever saw was a Deicide concert in a club in 1999...that was a good couple of years for Live metal. ;)

What was you guys' most intense live Metal show? Give us some details...
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 07-31-2007 at 12:27 PM.

For quality of bands, I'd have to go Ozzfest 2005.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Shadows Fall, Black Label Society, In Flames, Rob Zombie, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Arch Enemy, Mastodon, Soilwork, and The Haunted.

There were other bands there too, but those were the ones I was hyped for, and got to see. Plus I got to meet Michael Amott.

I've been to probably a hundred shows all over the world, and some really damn good ones, but you can't beat that lineup.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Best metal show I've been to?

Summer Sanitarium, 2003, in Seattle.

Mudvayne, Deftones, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit.

This was Mudvayne at full intensity, Linkin Park before they lost all credibility, and Limp Bizkit fighting to prove they could still perform.

Deftones, as per usual, sucked balls live (saw them at Ozzfest in 99 and it was the same thing there, as the lead singer can't reproduce his album performances).

It started just after noon and roared until about 7 pm, when Metallica finally hit the stage. After surviving the never-ending mosh pit amongst thousands of people, we got to rock out with the metal gods. Man, what pits.

I really miss concerts. :(
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Thanks for the kind comments and congrats guys, much appreciated. I've got the Metallica onesie on order as I type. ;)

-- We now return from this special baby report to Heavy Metal topics -- Whats the consensus on Avenged Sevenfold here? I actually discovered the album City of Evil before I knew they were MTv/rock radio darlings (as I dont watch MTv or listen to rock radio) and thought they were very decent. Maybe a little over the top with the theatrics, but I thought the music was very respectable and showed talent.

Of course, now I know that I'm not supposed to like them because they're apparently popular with the teenage crowd, but I ask you, does that automatically make them bad?
    The good: Unholy confession has a killer intro riff, great epic chorus, nice screaming, and is a great take on metalcore.

The bad: Every other song they have ever done

I like the lyric subjects and they have a funky name, but they are basically an American BFMV to me. A heavy pop band they calls themselves metal, like say Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit.

Alright everyone: Best Live metal Show you've ever been to

I'll start: Metallica (big surprise there) - San Antonio (Retama Park) - 1998: I've been to many awesome Live metal shows, ranging from Stadium gigs all the way down to club gigs, and I must say this was one rowdy fucking show. there were at least 60,000-75,000 ppl in attendance (which is big even for a Metallica show) and it was ALL General Admission, no seating whatsoever, as the "arena" was basically just a huge, open field.
    Man, you've never seen such a rolling, insane crowd. There were pits from the front of the stage all the way back to the concession stands, the crowd was just roiling on top of each other. I and a few friends I went with managed to make our way up to the front of the stage, even though we arrived so late we completely missed the opening acts (Jerry Cantrell and Days of the New, if memory serves) and got into the front/center pit. I ended up getting my shirt ripped completely off, not to mention got a black eye from some HUGE guy's flailing elbow. I mean, I'm no small fry myself (about 6'0", 235) and some of the guys in this pit were just dwarfing me.
    The band were just really on that night, too...I think they played 3+ hours because they just didn't want to stop....best show ever.

Oddly enough, the second best Metal show I ever saw was a Deicide concert in a club in 1999...that was a good couple of years for Live metal. ;)

What was you guys' most intense live Metal show? Give us some details...
    Actually, I'm going to go against the grain here, my best gig was at this little club in Leeds West Yorkshire called Joseph's Well. I went to see Tsunami Bomb because I quite liked that single they had and a few friends were going, and fucking hell am I glad I went. The support band, Hopesfall, who are from the generic metalcore family, put on a show to end all shows. There must have been only 4-500 people in there but everyone was pitting, everyone was stage diving, and in a oneupmanship contest each band member found something higher to jump off, the speakers, the amp sett-up, the balcony, the fucking fire escape! Then the singer runs and flips right into the middle of a pit and starts pitting with everyone whilst the bassist did vocals.
    Last edited by TheLazy; 07-31-2007 at 07:23 PM.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

The three live SAVATAGE shows I've seen were among the best ever.

Queensryche's Empire tour where they performed the entire Operation:mindcrime album was phenomenal.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

The best show I've been to (so far) is the Metallica one on May 4th, 1999. Since then, May 4th is a national celebration day for all headbangers around here.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbido View Post
    Woah. Where did you hear this?
    I'm doing a drawing for every DMAX thread!

Most recent drawing: Longshot

Veteran Member

Woah. Where did you hear this?
    Blabbermouth or Bravewords, maybe both.