View Poll Results: The Greatest Metal Band?

Voters
149. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Black Sabbath

36 24.16%
  • Iron Maiden

27 18.12%
  • Judas Priest

6 4.03%
  • Motorhead

8 5.37%
  • Metallica

33 22.15%
  • Slayer

11 7.38%
  • Anthrax

5 3.36%
  • Megadeth

9 6.04%
  • Pantera

4 2.68%
  • Other (specify in-thread)

10 6.71%
Page 1 of 212 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default -=The All-Purpose METAL Thread=-

This is a thread for all admirers, fans and followers of Heavy Metal music, in all it's various forms and styles. Thrash, Hardcore, Death, Speed, Grindcore, Punk, any other form of Metal music and all the bands that fall under that umbrella-- discuss them here.

This thread started out strictly a Metallica thread, so I'll leave the original post. They're the quintessental Metal band anyway, very fitting start for a metal thread...

Metallica. One of the greatest (if not the greatest) Heavy Metal bands of all-time. Writers of metal classics like Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, Seek & Destroy, Sad But True, For Whom the Bell Tolls and so on, they've sold over 100 Million albums in 25 years..

Over the past few years their celebrity has been waning a bit, and expectations for their new album, the release date of which has been pushed back several times and is now described as "hopefully being out by Summer 2008", will really spell out the future for the band...I'm a longtime fan and am looking forward to the new album, but the release pushbacks have got me and other fans pretty irked, it's been almost 5 years since St. Anger and that's pushing it for any band...(well, except maybe the Stones).

So, let's discuss Metallica...
    What are your thoughts on the new album?
    Did you like their last album (St. Anger)?
    What's your favorite Metallica song?
    Do you subscribe to the school of "Metallica sold out"?
    Do you prefer new or old Metallica?
    Which bassist was best, Cliff, Jason or Rob?

Post pics, video-links or anything else METAL related. You can even post comic references if you can find them....and trust me, they're out there.
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 06-28-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    ...their new album, the release date of which has been pushed back several times and is now described as "hopefully being out by Summer 2008", will really spell out the future for the band...
    Has any album that's taken that long to make ever been any good?
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Has any album that's taken that long to make ever been any good?
    Tool's 10,000 Days took 6 years to complete and it's genius.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bqzyUdPxjqE

So, let's discuss Metallica...

I hope that they don't go in the weird experimental/rough sounding way that they did on St Anger, but I hope they don't try to return to their thrash roots either because they're going to fall flat on their asses doing so. New bands like Trivium, Mastodon, and Killswtch Engage are giving metal a fresh face, and I doubt Metallica want to keep up with the intensity that the new bands are playing at. I wouldn't mind a solid rock effort like The Black Album or an acoustic recording: these guys have proven they can write ballads.

Judging from the two new songs on youtube, I don't like the 1st song , "The New Song" as it tries to return to Puppets/Justce era songs, but I quite like the Misfits style they've gone with on the 2nd song, "The Other New Song".

Songs like St. Anger, Some Kind of Monster, and All Within my Hands showed potential, but started to fall apart towards the end. Perhaps if the had been a bit more conservative with the editing then this would have been an okay/solid effort, bu these mistake mixed with shit like Frantic or Sweet Amber, and THAT drum sound, make this album a disgrace. It really is a shame that albums like this sell 5 million copies because of the name on the front, yet The End of Heartache struggles to get to 500,000 and Blood Mountain can't even half that. Let me add that Metallica are my favourate band, but they have become shadow of their former selfs.

I have a few. Blackened has a nice snakey riff, and shows an interesting take on a thrash song. Leper Messiah has that memorable chorus, as does Master of Puppets. Dyers Eve has a good thundering intro, its too hard to choose.

I don't think they sold out, as much as they lost their roots, and as such, their mojo. The Napster thing was one big pis all over the fans though.

Oldschool easily. They've had like 5-6 good songs since 1990, compared with 5 near perfect albums from KEA to The Black Album

Since their qualtiy subsided gradually after Cliff died then I'm inlined not to say Jason. Hell he can't even be heard on ...And Justice for All. And remember that Bob Rock did the bass for St Anger so Rob hasn't recorded any material yet, so he hasn't really had a chance to prove himself with 'Tallica, his stuff with Suicidal Tendancies is cool though. I'll wait and see, but for now it's Cliff. I think a better question would be Hammet vs Mustain (and possibly Lloyd Grant?)

:)
    Last edited by TheLazy; 06-25-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Not getting my hopes up. Rubin split his time working with Slayer, U2, Metallica and Linkin Park so I doubt he influenced much of it.

It was shit.

Fade To Black.

No, I just don't enjoy their most recent albums although a few tracks and covers here and there have been pretty good.

Old.

No opinion either way.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLazy View Post

Since their qualtiy subsided gradually after Cliff died then I'm inlined not to say Jason. Hell he can't even be heard on ...And Justice for All.
    The reason Jason can't be heard on ...And Justice for All is that James and Lars turned his playing so far down in the mix that you can't hear it. On occasion I have, while listening very closely, detected a bass note. But it's not Jason's fault. It was a hazing ritual for Jason Newkid.

rob
    "T is for Tank,
    and T is for Terror,
    and K is the K
    for Killing in Error."
    --Leona Ozaki, _Dominion_, Masamune Shirow

They have a new album coming out? Really? I suppose they could have a late-career resurrection like Maiden or Priest, but it seems unlikely.

I did not.

Oooh, too many to choose from. I know this is cliched, but it's probably "Master of Puppets."

No, but like one poster said, they just lost sight of their roots. I liked Load and Reload but James and Lars just don't seem to have the song-writing chops anymore, which is sad.

Well, like I said, I liked their 90's albums, so the only phase of Metallica I don't like is the one that recorded St. Anger and made a movie out of going through therapy.

Cliff, definitely. Jason was good, don't get me wrong, but never really got the chance to prove himself and step out of Cliff's shadow. But then Cliff was a wizard on the bass guitar. Just listen to "Anesthesia."

Post pics, video-links or anything else Metallica related. You can even post comic references if you can find them....and trust me, they're out there.
    Oh, I've seen a comic telling Metallica's story. It's pretty hilarious.

rob
    "T is for Tank,
    and T is for Terror,
    and K is the K
    for Killing in Error."
    --Leona Ozaki, _Dominion_, Masamune Shirow

Quote Originally Posted by leonaozaki View Post
    The reason Jason can't be heard on ...And Justice for All is that James and Lars turned his playing so far down in the mix that you can't hear it. On occasion I have, while listening very closely, detected a bass note. But it's not Jason's fault. It was a hazing ritual for Jason Newkid.

rob
    Yeah I read that in the book, I was just pointing out that You can't really compare Jason to cliff because he's had one good album to strut his stuff on (the black album) cliff had three.

Last edited by TheLazy; 06-25-2007 at 08:20 AM.

What new album?? I haven't seen any new album since 2003. Oh, they keep talking about it, and I hope it's good, but I'm not sure there will be a place for it regardless of how they do it. They have said it has a middle-Eastern vibe and was heavily influenced by the Master of Puppets album as they played it straight through live all last summer. Who knows? They have said it will sound less like St. Anger; they tuned the guitars back up, there will be solos, and only parts of "The New Song" and "The Other New Song" will make it onto the album. Kirk said that since they've been playing more like they did in the 80s that James is singing more like he did in the 80s rather than 90s, but who knows.

I don't see them approaching the ferocity of newer bands like Trivium, but maybe a slot fast album with some of their pop-friendly stuff a la Enter Sandman would work. I would love a blend of Master of Puppets, Battery, Sanitarium and Enter Sandman. Heaven. :)

I loved the shit out of that album. It takes some getting used to, and you have to accept it for what it is and not to what it is not. I love it, particularly Invisible Kid, Sweet Amber, Unnamed Feeling, Purify, Shoot Me Again...Love it. I think it they had finished it, added some solos, arranged it a little better and cleaned it up it would have been their best in a decade, but I still like it for what it is.

Do you really expect anyone to be able to answer this? It changed with my mood. Past favorites have included Hit the Lights, Motorbreath, Four Horsemen, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, Battery, Puppets, Orion, And Justice for All, Blackened, The Cure, Bleeding Me, Memory Remains (for like 5 minutes)... see, hard to choose.

Nah. They got bored with what they were doing and explored other options, made some money, etc. Do you like doing the same thing for over a decade? I think the Napster thing is going to be a black mark on their record for perpetuity.

On the whole, I'd say old because they had so many albums that were just phenomonal from start to finish. I can listen to Kill Em All, Lightning and Puppets start to finish without skipping anything. I'll skip one or two on Justice, I'll only listen to 4 or 5 on Black, I LOVE Load... yes, it's completely different, but it's a great bluesy rock album. ReLoad...ehh, there's about 5 songs I like. I love about half og St. Anger... Hmmm. Old it is.

I don't know. I can't hear any of them on the damn records! If I strain my ears I can almost hear Cliff on Puppets, but the bass is so hidden behind the guitars that it's hard to tell.

I hope it's good. I'm starting to lose hope with Metallica, though.

Absolutely not. The guitar riffs were generic, the snare drum sounded like a garbage can, and the vocals included both whining and nu-metal esque driveling. And the lyrics were laughable. I know they were aiming to do something raw, but you don't aim to do something raw. You're either raw, or you're not. Goddamn amateurs.

Probably "Master of Puppets." Not an original choice at all, but the lyrics are concrete enough to make a good point but open enough for personal interpretation. Beyond that, it has some of the best damn guitar playing I've ever heard.

Kind of. I think that movie they made was pretty stupid and superficial. On the other hand, I think it's just evolution for the most part. For the worst, unfortunately.

I think the answer to this is pretty obvious now.

Cliff all the way. He wins because I can hear him more than the other two.

Tool routinely takes four or five years to record albums.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

No idea. Last time I drove myself nuts by looking for new information every single day for like, three years, and it was too much. Now, I just check out news here and there or posts like this one. If I don't think about it, the wait won't be so unbearable.

Yes, although it was deeply flawed in parts, but I'm hopeful that the band has learned from those mistakes. Songs like "Some Kind of Monster" and "Unnamed Feeling" are excellent, although better sound quality would have worked.

"The Outlaw Torn," which is so heavy and epic.

No, although I got into the band through Reload and Load, then found the old stuff and screamed "SELL OUT!" as long and loud as anyone for a few years. Now I'm much more open-minded. :)

To be honest it depends on the day and my mood. Could swing either way, although "old" Metallica has a much more impressive and higher-quality output on the whole.

Cliff was definitely the most skilled, as far as I can tell, Jason had the most energy and love of music, and Rob seems like an awesome guy and a great player.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    No, although I got into the band through Reload and Load, then found the old stuff and screamed "SELL OUT!" as long and loud as anyone for a few years. Now I'm much more open-minded. :)
    This is exactly what I did too. Bought Load and loved it, then through Load went back and found the older material, then screamed they'd sold out because of Load, lol...

Ah, good times....;)

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    This is exactly what I did too. Bought Load and loved it, then through Load went back and found the older material, then screamed they'd sold out because of Load, lol...

Ah, good times....;)
    Ditto. I found it funny that most of the people screaming selll out were no older than 10 when Puppets came out:D

TheLazy is right about Mastodon being the new face of metal. They are different from Metallica in many ways, but they remind me of Metallica's passion and innovation during the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    TheLazy is right about Mastodon being the new face of metal. They are different from Metallica in many ways, but they remind me of Metallica's passion and innovation during the 1980s.
    Don't care much for Mastodon or any other bands with cookie-monster vocals...which is why I hated the "New wave of American Metal" bands like Trivium till they ditched the demon growling and started putting a little melody in the vocals...

Pantera is the only metal band in history that has been able to, or will ever be able to pull off flat out screaming through an entire song and get away with it...for everyone else (with a few exceptions [Lamb of God, Chimaira]) it really just comes off seeming like they can't sing, so instead they scream...

My all-time top 5:
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Pantera (only "scream" band that makes my list)
    Black Sabbath
    Gov't Mule
    Last edited by Brad Barton; 06-25-2007 at 02:56 PM.