Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I love Mark Millars MKSpider-Man!!!! MUST READ!!!!

JMS trades are great with Ezekiel and Morlun.

Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man is a MUST.

And my favorite stuff is issues #1-100 ASM by Stan Lee. Truly the best Spider-man comics. I read those on the DVD-ROM!

Has anyone read Spider-Man Reign? I just ordered it off of Amazon and it looks like it has a new take on Spidey's future, and I was wondering what people thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dood its willy View Post
    Has anyone read Spider-Man Reign? I just ordered it off of Amazon and it looks like it has a new take on Spidey's future, and I was wondering what people thought of it.
    It's basically "the Dark Knights return" but with Spidey, instead of Batman.

It's set in an alternate future where MJ is dead and the goverment rules all.

IT's very dark, but very enjoyable IMO.:)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!:D
    Amazing Spider-Man, Future Foundation, Captain America, The Invincible Iron Man, The Mighty Thor, The New Avengers, The Avengers, Batman Inc., Detective Comics, Green Lantern

haha alright good thats what i thought i read a little about it on some websites, and it was only 4 bucks on amazon!

How about Spider-Man: The Other? I'm debating whether or not to pick up this one, as it seems to be controversial among fans. I was thinking of possibly skipping over that and going straight to Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man.

Any thoughts, guys and gals?
    "Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."

Quote Originally Posted by ACK! View Post
    How about Spider-Man: The Other? I'm debating whether or not to pick up this one, as it seems to be controversial among fans. I was thinking of possibly skipping over that and going straight to Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man.

I'd skip over it. If you find down the road you really want to read it then do it. It wasn't great and Civil War really was good, at least on the Spider-Man end anyway.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by ACK! View Post

It's pretty unsatisfying actually. Some chapters are pretty good, but some are atrocious. While Mike Wieringo and Deodato delivered some excellent art, Pat Lee was a poor choice given his general inability to show emotion (necessary for a story in which Spider-Man felt he was dying.)

The story itself isn't as significant as it should have been. There was never any time to explore the new abilities Peter gained, as he got the iron spider suit (and a whole new set of powers) within the next issue. Many major questions (why Morlun returned, what exactly was wrong with Peter) went unresolved.

I don't think I'd recommend Civil War: Spider-Man either. It had some good moments, but was not amongst JMS's best work on the character (although there are many who will disagree.)

There is simply much better material available for your money. I'd recommend the hardcover with Millar's run, Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid or the Paul Jenkins TPB "One Small Break" for the really good recent Spider-Man stories. Or just save your money for when Amazing goes (almost) weekly.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Thanks, guys. I think I'll skip The Other and just go straight to Civil War. Thanks also for the recommendations on the other non-Amazing titles.

I keep looking at those lists and wondering... why aren't the Essential Marvel Team-Ups on there?

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oenglish View Post
    I keep looking at those lists and wondering... why aren't the Essential Marvel Team-Ups on there?
    Laziness on my part, pure and simple.

I should really get around to updating them someday.

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

I did get the Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man TPB and enjoyed it thorougly. I will have to check out the other Spidey TPBs that were recommended as well.

I definitely want to get the Back In Black TPB when it comes out.

Too poor to read comics RobertM's Avatar

Default Before reading 'The Other'

Despite some of the negativity I heard here, I think I'm going to read The Other. Are there any other trades/hardcovers I would have to read first for this to make this HC make sense? The last non-Ultimate Spider-Man I read was The Best of Spider-Man, Vol. 1.

And go easy on me--I'm poor. :)
    Favorite titles: Ultimate Spider-Man and Vol. 2 Daredevil. (But since I haven't read them in over a year, I can't say I know what's going on in them. Donations of HCs and TPBs are thus accepted. :D )

Spoilers are evil!

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    The last non-Ultimate Spider-Man I read was The Best of Spider-Man, Vol. 1.
    That one collected the first Morlun/Ezekiel story, right?

You're good to go, then.

If you wanted to get really anal about it, you could also pick up the Amazing Spidey TPB entitled "New Avengers". But really, all you need to know from that is Spidey's a New Avenger.

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    That one collected the first Morlun/Ezekiel story, right?
    Yeah. Spider-Man met some old guy who had sorta spider powers, as I recall, and some vampiric guy. It's been years since I read it, though, so I barely remember what happened. Something about animal totems being linked to Spider-Man and to the villains who fought him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    If you wanted to get really anal about it, you could also pick up the Amazing Spidey TPB entitled "New Avengers". But really, all you need to know from that is Spidey's a New Avenger.
    Sounds like it might be worth reading first... Is this it?
    Last edited by RobertM; 11-06-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    Favorite titles: Ultimate Spider-Man and Vol. 2 Daredevil. (But since I haven't read them in over a year, I can't say I know what's going on in them. Donations of HCs and TPBs are thus accepted. :D )

Spoilers are evil!

Did my posts get moved into this thread on purpose or did something just break...?

Spoilers are evil!