Default Pieces On A Chess Board: MF Grimm Talks "Sentences"

Rapper Percy Carey was shot, paralyzed and sent to prison before reemerging as a force in music and now in comics, with the autobiographical "Sentences." CBR's Emmett Furey conducted an extensive interview with the artist better known as MF Grimm.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=10969

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Who is this rapper? Never heard of him. Is he having someone ghost write this comic or what?
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    Who is this rapper? Never heard of him. Is he having someone ghost write this comic or what?
    Definitely not a ghost writer. This is his story. He wrote it.

I got a chance to read an advance copy of this a few months back and can 100% recommend this book. Carey's story is an amazing one. The story is engaging, scary, sad and hopeful. Best of all, it's real -- you see movies about this kind of stuff, but this actually happened to the man and his emotions, feelings and honest come screaming through on every page. It's a great book and I really hope people give it a chance.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Definitely not a ghost writer. This is his story. He wrote it.

I got a chance to read an advance copy of this a few months back and can 100% recommend this book. Carey's story is an amazing one. The story is engaging, scary, sad and hopeful. Best of all, it's real -- you see movies about this kind of stuff, but this actually happened to the man and his emotions, feelings and honest come screaming through on every page. It's a great book and I really hope people give it a chance.
    Cool, sounds good.

I'm always wary of "outsider" writers coming in from other media and assuming that they can write comics. Sometimes it works out very well, but often you get a Bilson/Demeo or an Identity Crisis or something.

I wouldn't have really care about this were it not a Vertigo book, so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

I'm really hoping for good things to come from this release. Hopefully word of mouth will be positive so it can gain some recognition.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    Cool, sounds good.

I'm always wary of "outsider" writers coming in from other media and assuming that they can write comics. Sometimes it works out very well, but often you get a Bilson/Demeo or an Identity Crisis or something.
    Nothing wrong with outsiders coming in to the comics biz, but in this case it's something different -- Percy Carey may be an outsider, but he's coming in telling his own compelling story. He doesn't come into this industry thinking he's going to change things overnight or put his own stamp on your favorite character. He's starting from a very personal place.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Nothing wrong with outsiders coming in to the comics biz, but in this case it's something different -- Percy Carey may be an outsider, but he's coming in telling his own compelling story. He doesn't come into this industry thinking he's going to change things overnight or put his own stamp on your favorite character. He's starting from a very personal place.
    And I appreciate that, for sure. I put "outsider" in quotation marks originally because I hate when DC or Marvel just randomly bring in writers who have had no comic writing experience whatsoever, often putting them on high-profile projects.

That doesn't mean that the project will suck, but it does make me a bit wary about buying any of those projects. This one does look promising though.

Im definitely getting this...MF Grimm is one of my favourite rappers...he is pure underground class...none of that mainstream crap...its all clever rhymes and lyrics mixed with stories about his life and his views on all sorts of topics.

He's not here to start a comic business, he jus loves comics and wants to express his life story in a comic form.
    ----------------------------------------

I hope that people give this a shot. Grimm's life story is pretty interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mf_grimm

I wholeheartedly reccommend 'The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera' if anyone feels like picking it up (you can probably find it at albumbase). It was picked by Blues & Soul as one of their top albums of the year for 2001, and they rarely pay any attention to rap music.

It manages to be a story of a fallen angel trapped on earth, while simultaneously autobiographical. It is made all the more remarkable when you find out he recorded the album during a 24-hour bail after he was sentenced to life imprisonment.
    Hey Kids, COMICS!

Default The incredible MF Grimm

I am happy to here that grimm has decided to do a comic on his life, as a part of the underground hip hop movement that encourages thinking out the box on many different subjects, I hope this will open up this artist's work to a whole new group of people. In addition to the album "The downfall of ibylis" also check out the song Digital Tears (by superstar Jet Jaguar). very moving cut.