Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Madame Mirage #1

I've been looking for this one for awhile and wasn't disappointed when I picked it up today. The futuristic feel combined with the anachronistic heroine makes for a great atmosphere. Good art, good characterizations, and an interesting plot. The last of those is nearly self-contained, but leaves enough questions to make things really interesting. All in all, I enjoyed it greatly. Anyway, there's a full review over there.

Wendigo? Wendigone! GreatLakesAvenger's Avatar

I'm with you. This first issue gave us a nice setup for what's to come. I plan to stick with this for a while.

I didn't like it a whole lot. It wasn't bad, it was just not what I was lead to believe the book was going to be. I was expecting a 1930s-set pulp atmosphere and instead I got the future, complete with superheroes and villains. I like Dini's work, but I don't know how long I'll stick around for this one.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    I didn't like it a whole lot. It wasn't bad, it was just not what I was lead to believe the book was going to be. I was expecting a 1930s-set pulp atmosphere and instead I got the future, complete with superheroes and villains. I like Dini's work, but I don't know how long I'll stick around for this one.
    wow! we are total opposites! :) remember, you were trying to get me to try the comic and I was doubtful, now it's you who didn't like the comic, while I did like it a lot! :)

Again, I have to agree with the Mad one on their thoughts of the book. :D

I thought it was a great start, and a very concise introduction to our grin-and-kill heroine. I loved the psyche-out lines from the receptionist and lift guy, but finding out that it was MM all along, doing it just to freak the guy out, was awesome. If she were just a grim ends-justify-the-means crusader, she wouldn't be that interesting - it's this aspect, that she revels in toying with her prey like a kitten with a toy, and does it with bucketloads of style and panache, that I like, and that makes her more than just the Punisher in an evening dress (now that's a mental image I didn't need).

Smart, tight writing, stylish and lavish art - it's a great package, and on my pull list from the start.

You guys are lucky I didn't even get this in my comic shop yet if so I missed I hope I get a chance to read this i'm a big fan of topcows work or image work in general.
    "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."
    Bruce Lee

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

For me, it was a just-okay opener.
    Until just about the last panel.
    When (her sister?) remarks, Oh [Mde. Mirage], always the drama queen.

I'm a big fan of knowing relationships within stories; so this one panel promises a depth of characterization via characters' interactions that will at least sell me the book for another issue or two.

I was also expecting a 30s setting and stuff, as mentioned above, and found myself a little distrustful of the 'future' setting.

So okay, another issue or two to win me over.
    Matt
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

This seems very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post
    wow! we are total opposites! :) remember, you were trying to get me to try the comic and I was doubtful, now it's you who didn't like the comic, while I did like it a lot! :)

Again, I have to agree with the Mad one on their thoughts of the book. :D
    No one was more surprised I didn't like this than I was. Like I said, I was expecting a 1930s kind of Shadow riff. I'll give this future stuff an issue or two to grow on me, but if it doesn't, I'l drop the book.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

It was fairly good. Reminded me strongly of the John Ridley books "Those Who Walk In Darkness" and "What Fire Doesn't Burn". The art was nice. I'll probably pick up the next issue.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

I was also expecting a 30s noir/pulp throwback, but I kinda like the direction.

I think the issue is missing some background on Mirage herself. I get its important to establish the setting and status quo, but I would've liked a LOT more focus on Mirage herself. I get she's supposed to be all mysterious but she doesn't really stand out from all the other glib, sexy, femme fatales out there. As neat as the reality Dini's created is, the titular character hasn't hooked me.
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

A good effort for the first issue. I'm probably going to pick up the next one. It's an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Atom View Post
    I think the issue is missing some background on Mirage herself. I get its important to establish the setting and status quo, but I would've liked a LOT more focus on Mirage herself. I get she's supposed to be all mysterious but she doesn't really stand out from all the other glib, sexy, femme fatales out there. As neat as the reality Dini's created is, the titular character hasn't hooked me.
    This is definitely the most articulated and important point made in this thread. Yes, the overall concept has potential, the dialogue is reasonable, and the art is nice--but why don't we know anything about Mirage yet?

Hopefully, this will be fixed next issue.

Wendigo? Wendigone! GreatLakesAvenger's Avatar

We don't know anything about Mirage because the author chose instead to use the first issue to establish her methods of operation. In issue #0, he explained that he had a vision of a heroine who used stealth and cunning. So I'm sure we'll get more backstory later, now that we've seen how she works.

I liked it because of the big boobs throughout the book.

jk.

Really awesome first issue IMO. It was pretty awesome and MM is really cool and slick. I like her style. She's a total jerk and not some boring character. Can't wait for issue 2. I also like it becuhs of the big bewbs.