Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jekyll

Default Jekyll

Did anyone else watch this? I wasn't going to, since I rather dislike James Nesbitt, but the rain annoyingly knocked out my satellite reception, and I ended up with just terrestrial to entertain myself with...

... and actually, I was very entertained. Spooky stuff, just like Moffat's Doctor Who episodes, with a surprisingly effective performance from Nesbitt, and a very healthy dose of mystery.

The episode begins well into Dr. Tom Jackman's double life by showing us the systems that he and his other half have worked out to cohabit their body, such as the dictaphone they use to communicate, and the woman they pay to be assistant to them both... and then we see how their plans and systems fall apart, leading to a very dramatic declaration right at the end. I won't spoil anything in particular, but there are a lot of excellent moments.
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

It was alright but it was a bit too ITV in places, which was surprisiong considering Moffat's line in last week's Doctor Who. This could have been down to it being a star vehicle for Nesbit, who was better than expected.

I finally watched it and man, I'm impressed. Excellent production value, and James Nesbitt was incredible. Really good stuff.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

I have never seen a series start so well, and turn to crap so dramatically halfway through.
    The first three episodes are fantastic. Gorgeous stuff that really made me want to see more, but about halfway through, it really does turn into a huge pile of ol'crap.
    It's weird. The change is so abrupt and dramatic.

Okay, I hadn't caught up with this series until 2013 when it started in Australia, but I have seen the first two episodes only. I think the Hyde version has the power to make humans imagine characters he wants them to imagine, like a sort of Professor Charles Xavier from the X-Men can get in your brain and make you do whatever he wants? Like when that woman that Hyde had the dinner with, smoking red cigarettes with gold filters, is just Hyde making her up. She ends up appearing later in episode 2, and talks to Jekyll, then she baits herself (so Jekyll can escape),to the corporation, and they arrest her and put her in a cell. But when they come to interrogate her, she doesn't exist. That could mean Hyde is working a vast network of imaginary people including the Jennifer Garner psychiatric nurse who is Jekyll and Hyde's keeper. Could someone send spoilers to let me know how close I am with my theory, or what is actually going on here, please?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

I followed this for a few months and it was pretty captivating and for whatever reasons there was a big conclusion like it was a mini-series and it ended. It's almost like the authors learned too late that it was going to get cancelled and ended the big storyline right away with a big splash.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

It was always going to be a one-off series.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    It was always going to be a one-off series.
    Then it was a stupid business decision as it was a good show.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    agreed, and I'm sure there was meant to be more than the one series incidentally.

By episode 5 it really turned in another direction, didn't it? No longer are we a looking at Dr Jackman. Now, aparently, we are looking at the relatively innocuous spoilers:
    missus Jackman
    end of spoilers who seems to carry the switching process down through her genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    It wasn't a business decision but a creative one. The BBC just wanted the one series and it was delivered.

The first episodes were absolutely brilliant stuff but the last one kind of went off the rails a fair bit.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

I is alright. Nesbitt's Jekyll was awesome.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    I is alright. Nesbitt's Jekyll was awesome.
    I liked Nesbitt's Jekyll, because it was a kind of bully boy, instead of a Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I liked Nesbitt's Jekyll, because it was a kind of bully boy, instead of a Hulk.
    Two words....Lion-gram.
    Cyclops ad portas