Default DC Flashback: The Life and Death and Life of Jason Todd

CBR's Brian Eason tracks the tragic tale of Jason Todd, the second Robin, from his bright-eyed birth to his troubled adolescence, brutal murder and controversial resurrection.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=10818

I could leave at any time

Later, in the pages of "52" and in the pages of "Nightwing," Jason returned wearing Dick Grayson's Nightwing costume. At first Jason opposed Dick, but later joins forces with him in an attempt to overcome New York's gang bosses, the Pierce brothers. During the story, Jason transforms into a -- well, frankly -- a blob of goo and consumes a bad guy.
    What issue of 52 did this happen in? I don't remember this.

Quote Originally Posted by exboywonder View Post
    Not sure about 52, but the story happened in Nightwing #118 to #122, written by Bruce Jones.

Theirs a TPB out now about it.

NIGHTWING: BROTHERS IN BLOOD TP
    Written by Bruce Jones
    Art by Joe Dodd, Bit and various
    Cover by Jock
    A new volume collecting NIGHTWING #118-122! One year after the events of INFINITE CRISIS, there are two Nightwings on the prowl in New York - and one is a murderous madman! Now the twin crime bosses the Pierce Brothers want the head of Nightwing, and they don't care which one!
    Advance-solicited; on sale March 7 o 168 pg, FC, $14.99 US

I wouldn't recommend reading it though.

I just don't get the fascination with Jason Todd. It made sense in HUSH to use him (or rather his image) as an emotional factor to get at Batman but to actually revive him loses me completely and now degrades the emotional impact of Batman having lost a Robin. I mean one of his sidekicks died and that haunted him for years and was used brilliantly over that time and especially when current Robin Tim Drake came along.

Ang why Red Robin anyway? I mean that's a KINGDOM COME character that was revealed to be Dick Grayson. Just leave Jason as the Red Hood for continuity's sake.

P.S. Change Roy's name back to Arsenal, I hate this Red Arrow crap. Look where we are heading... Red Robin, Red Arrow, next comes Red Wonder/Red Woman, Red Flash and Aqua Red.
    Last edited by comicfoil; 06-11-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: I saw Red
    I follow Avengers, Birds of Prey, The Boys, BPRD, Fables, FF, Farscape, Flash, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hellboy, Invincible, JLA, LSH, Nova, ps238, Secret Six, Teen Titans, and the Walking Dead.

Nice history lesson of relearning the new Red Hood. :D

Later, in the pages of "52" and in the pages of "Nightwing," Jason returned wearing Dick Grayson's Nightwing costume. At first Jason opposed Dick, but later joins forces with him in an attempt to overcome New York's gang bosses, the Pierce brothers. During the story, Jason transforms into a -- well, frankly -- a blob of goo and consumes a bad guy.
    What issue of 52 did this happen in? I don't remember this.What issue of 52 did this happen in? I don't remember this.
    What article did this happen in? I don't remember this. Superboy-Prime must have punched one of CBR's servers.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I rather like that Jason Todd is becoming a DCU-in-general character rather than just a BATMAN-character. The Gothamverse is sometimes rather insular. Some like it that way, but I don't. When Jason was Robin, he seldom ventured outside of the Batman/Gotham milieu (there was COIE, a few adventures with the New Teen Titans, LEGENDS, and MILLENIUM, but that was about it for Jason apart from his adventures with Batman). As the Red Hood, he's having more encounters with the DCU in general.

I felt the same way about Azrael (Jean Paul Valley) when he was around: I wanted to see him interact with the non-Batman DCU more.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

This was a fascinating article but it further confirms why I can't get engaged with the DC universe. All superhero universes get pretty crazy and often go overboard in one place or another with storylines and plot devices that are too ridiculous to be believed, but DC with its Crises and retcons just seems like it's in a constant state of chaos.

I'm hopeful that things are changing and that Jason Todd/Red Hood will be solidified into a character that can stand alone but I worry that something will come along and change his character into something unrecognizable from what came before. Let's hope for some stability for once.

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    Nice history lesson of relearning the new Red Hood. :D
    I'm glad you liked it. :)

Brian K. Eason

Jason took on the Nightwing identity while Dick Grayson was world traveling with Bruce and Tim. He first appeared in "52" #33 opposite Batwoman.

Brian K. Eason

Not a bad story...but I'll be honest--it could have benefited from some judicious editing before publication. There were numerous typos, and the verb tense kept changing from past to present to future without any rhyme or reason, which was rather distracting. I mean no offense, by the way...it's just that as an editor by trade, I was surprised at the sloppiness of the editing.

Sorry.

Nice history lesson.

Hate the fact he's back. Even the article made fun of the time punch!

I thought the editors said that the Nightwing in 52 was Dick back early from his travels while Jason just started impersonating him in World War III.
    "In my world, heroes bugger each other senseless. Not all of them, but more than you'd think, and probably not who you're thinking. " - Joss Whedon

"You know how many European public figures of the last hundred years have only had one ball? Mark Millar and Hitler. " - Warren Ellis

"She needs to look good to mask the fact that she is a Gold Medalist in the Special Olympics. Beauty fades, being 6 types of retarded is forever." - Boofish Fontaine

I have really enjoyed all the stories with Jason in them (except for the Nightwing one) since his return. I was uneasy at first when he showed back up, but I think it has been great. I can't wait to see what else happens with him. I hope he remains a torn in Batman's side longer.